Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Meacher
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all.

Ive never bought into a miniatures game before. Ive played a little here and there and see the fun in it. Id like to get into a game that is a little self contained in that I can buy a set and have a buddy come over and play (just using my set) and play a competitive game. I dont want to commit to an entire room of storage or a dedicated table space with astroturf or anything like that.

However, I am also very interested in getting into some of the mini painting.

I also dont want to drop money on a gaming system that is on its way out and won't be supported at any cons or have any tourney play. Ive played other FF games and Ive really loved how they support their games.

The question.

Is Dust Tactics the place for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have pots and pots of money, then yes. If not why not try Tide of Iron formally an FFG game, now with http://1agames.com/tide-of-iron/

The new wave core game is to be released in the not too distant future.

I have both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust is definitely not on the way out, quite the contrary, it is about to explode! And compared to most mini's games, it is reasonably priced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many games will fit the requirement of being able to buy a set to play with, fit into a limited storage space, and provide something to paint, so I'll stick to the support aspect you want to find.

First, FFG does not have involvement with this game any more. There was a kickstarter for a new expansion, Dust Tactics: Operation "Babylon". So, I guess someone is still putting out products for it. As far as tournaments and conventions, I'm not sure if Dust has much of a presence. I think there was a game of it (or maybe just using the miniatures) at Little Wars, but I don't see anything listed for it at Gen Con.

However, tournaments and conventions tend to be very localized and self-fulfilling. In other words, I think if you want to focus on tournaments, you would have to figure out what events you want to go to or people you want to play with and pick games that are played there/by them. Alternately, you can try to get a group going, which has worked for me (not with Dust, see what I play here).

For example, if I wanted to play tournaments here in Chicago, and more than a couple of times a year, I would have about three games to pick from- Warhammer 40,000, Warmachine, Flames of War: The World War II Miniatures Game, and Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game if you count that. I could maybe add Infinity, Bolt Action, BattleTech, and some others to that if I looked harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Schultz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has never been more affordable to get into Dust a Tactics than right now IMHO since one can find many units in the 40-50% off range of the online sellers already discounted prices. While these units will be "re-popped" by Battle Front, they cannot do so until the FF stock is dry. So, since the only difference will be the new cards, and you can buy the new card decks, getting them now will save you some serious money, as even the MSRP is going up.

I was recently able to get one of every single SSU unit for a tic over $300, which is much more than you would need to play a game. It's just that I
already had all the Axis and Allies, and the completist in me was triggered.

While I had other players buy-in, like the OP, I wanted a game that I could play with anyone by supplying and painting the forces. My advice for that is to buy just some core units to begin with, to make sure the game is your style, then just slowly pick up units over time, which keeps the game very fresh, but to make sure you are filling out both (or all three if that's your plan) of the armies you buy at the same time to keep them balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Any minis game is going to take up a certain amount of ca$h and a lot of room. And if you are interested in the painting aspect, then you are headed for an even greater outlay of funds and space. That being said, Battlefield have a lot in store for Dust Tactics now that it is their game, so if you "gotta catch 'em all" beware that might be an expensive proposition.

There are plenty of minis games out there, and practically every one makes a "Starter Set" available to try out before you go whole hog. You should probably do some homework before diving in to something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
well , while the price online may be good at the moment , the reason is because of the changeover from FFG to BF as "distributor" (wallet packing overlord) , it should be noted that once the FFG inventory is gone , the prices will go up . this will be both due to price creep , and restructuring how the product is packaged to allow only ONE version of the model , so you would have to buy more boxes to have the variety .

if you are really concerned about the space and degree of dedication , might i suggest either "MERCS" or Infinity . both are skirmish level games so you dont need large armies to play in , and both allow for some good painting and conversion options .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandInquisitorKris wrote:

if you are really concerned about the space and degree of dedication , might i suggest either "MERCS" or Infinity . both are skirmish level games so you dont need large armies to play in , and both allow for some good painting and conversion options .

Do be aware that if you go a skirmish game what you save in the number of miniatures you need to get for a force you often up spending in getting enough decent looking terrain to fill up a board with. Yes, books and other kitchen items can be used to make all sorts of terrain but it doesn't look as good as a table full of buildings, road, obstacles and whatever else your skirmish game needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Amount of terrain depends on a game really, Infinity needs a hell lot of terrain, unlike e.g. Malifaux which is cheap to get miniatures, and terrain... win win for me. This setup cost me something like £120 and a crew box is around £30, and thats a playable army already.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124469625@N02/14777258327/

I also think Infinity is overall a better tactical game than Dust, the problem with it was no starter box (fixed, they will release one) and poorly written rulebook (not the rules themselves) (fixed, new rulebook coming out).

Malifaux have neat card mechanic and feel, and its strongly character/story driven.

the only problem with both of those games is miniatures are damn fragile and a pain to put together.

Check also:
"Earth reborn" -fantastic game, but setup takes ages
"Golem arcana" -new, no clue how it plays but looks interesting... Ipad integration.
"x-wing"/Star Wars armada -no need to paint, pretty good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at the Cosmic Dust variant for Dust Tactics, the rules pdf is in the file download section. I put together a space marine force of old minis off ebay for around £60. Unlike Dust, which doesn't seem to have much of a secondhand market yet, there's loads of old stuff for 40K out there.
You will still need to sort out some terrain, as for any minis game, but that is mostly time and effort on the DIY front rather than mega bucks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.