Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through my first game and have to say that I really enjoyed. The rules are pretty simple and the game plays fairly quick allowing for a complete scenario to be played under 2 hours. However, I do have a couple of questions or need clarifications of some issues that just don't seem to be logical to me but also maybe that is a fault of the rules:

1. It seems that the only way that a soldier can be prone is by the action Lie Down, falling down, or leaving a trench. A prone soldier can also aim. However, it doesn't quite make sense to me then that a prone soldier in a trench on a firing step can still aim and subsequently fire. Can a prone soldier in this position (prone on a firing step) still fire or did I miss something? I don't see anything in the rules about this. There doesn't seem to be any extra cover advantage since they are already under excellent cover when aiming on a firing step but didn't know if they could still fire.

2. Crawling. I understand that crawling is a substitute action. But it doesn't make real sense to me that the soldier doesn't first have to lie down (which is not a substitute action) to crawl or seem that they have to stand up (also not a substitute action) again to resume walking, running or trotting. Is this an oversight in the rules or, again, did I miss something? For example, if I plotted R,R,W,A,A,A I could actually do R,C,C,W,A,A,A. Logically to me it should be R,LD,C,C,A,A. I know that I could make my own variant to include this but wanted to know if I am missing the logic in it.

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Tim, I recently started dissecting this rule set.
It is simple so I think the designer left much to player interpretation instead of providing in-depth play examples.

Phytoman wrote:

1. It seems that the only way that a soldier can be prone is by the action Lie Down, falling down, or leaving a trench. A prone soldier can also aim. However, it doesn't quite make sense to me then that a prone soldier in a trench on a firing step can still aim and subsequently fire. Can a prone soldier in this position (prone on a firing step) still fire or did I miss something? I don't see anything in the rules about this. There doesn't seem to be any extra cover advantage since they are already under excellent cover when aiming on a firing step but didn't know if they could still fire.

Bottom right of the third page (Trenches) and rolling over to the top of the fourth page...
A prone soldier in a trench can only aim down the length of the trench. The rules state a prone soldier in a trench or shell crater cannot fire outside of the terrain.
To fire out of a trench a soldier must be on a firing step and in the standing position, he may then plot aiming or take quick shots.

Phytoman wrote:

2. Crawling. I understand that crawling is a substitute action. But it doesn't make real sense to me that the soldier doesn't first have to lie down (which is not a substitute action) to crawl or seem that they have to stand up (also not a substitute action) again to resume walking, running or trotting. Is this an oversight in the rules or, again, did I miss something? For example, if I plotted R,R,W,A,A,A I could actually do R,C,C,W,A,A,A. Logically to me it should be R,LD,C,C,A,A. I know that I could make my own variant to include this but wanted to know if I am missing the logic in it.

The rules state that in order to crawl a soldier must first be in the prone position (not sure I agree with this).

Using your example
plotted R,R,W,A,A,A

The only way to do a crawl action in the above plot is to fall down while running. The soldier is required to complete the three "aim" plots (or alternatively re-chamber, quick shot, melee)

I think "falling prone" should be a option action

R,LD,C,C,A,A is a valid plot, however, I think R,LD,A,A,A,A is a more effective plot as the Aiming can be replaced with Crawling, this leaves options open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot Steven! Missed that part starting on the bottom of the third page about being prone in the trench.

On the second point, I'm not sure that my R,LD,C,C,A,A is a valid plot since I think Crawl can only be a substitute action. Your suggestion would be valid and then I could substitute crawling for an aim.

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.