Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The special action "Grape Juice" from the wine festival says "You may sell all unharvested wine cubes as grape juice for 1 Franc each."

I know that you can abstain from a special action you paid for, but here, are you allowed to sell only a part of your unharvested wine as grape juice, or must it be indeed all or none of your unharvested wine?

I ask because, if you could sell a part of your unharvested wine, you could for example sell one grape juice, and later perform "Late Vintage" with the earned one Franc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Good question. I'm not inclined to say that you must sell all unharvested cubes with the grape juice-action... Although the rules seem to leave little room for alternative interpretations. But given that the game is mean on those playing it, perhaps I should use the more strict interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've usually found eggertspiele's rules to be quite precise. And as Cymric says, this game is not exactly nice to its players. We've always played as it says, you must sell all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermjard wrote:
are you allowed to sell only a part of your unharvested wine as grape juice?

I believe so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I see the "you may" in the rules, I see it for most of the special actions, and I read it as, when you go to this space, "you may" take the following action, or you can skip the action if you only took it to block.

I believe that if you do take the action though, you have to do the whole action, in this case "sell all unharvested wine cubes as grape juice for 1 Franc each."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Blum
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you must sell ALL. You only have the choice to not perform the action in it's entirety.

If you find this interpretation to harsh, you can always play different. It will not brake the game, in this case. But it was intended as stated above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
ueli blum wrote:
You only have the choice to not perform the action in it's entirety.

Pardon this side question, but I haven't played Grand Cru in much too long, and wonder why would someone pick a Festival Special Action and not perform it, is it only to block the action from someone else? Does this apply to all the Festival Special Actions, that is that you can select the action, but then not perform it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Blum
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not say, that it is a terribly good move, just that it is allowed. :-)

In some rare cases it can be interesting to block something for someone else, but since actions are so scarce, this is not something that makes sense very often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
ueli blum wrote:

And is it allowed with all the Festival Special Actions? That is, can you take any Festival Special Action and then, after spending your Prestige Points, decide not to perform the action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
ueli blum wrote:

And is it allowed with all the Festival Special Actions? That is, can you take any Festival Special Action and then, after spending your Prestige Points, decide not to perform the action?

Yes exactly, I am quite sure about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.