Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the limited amount of turns everyone gets (especially if not a lot of single tiles are played) has anyone found getting two barns worth it? I've seem to find that getting 1 barn then racing 1-2 of the other cubes up to the scoring tiles seems to have the best balance. It seems like trying to get all your cubes to the 2nd barn takes too much time, and you won't reap enough points due to not having enough rounds left in the game by the time you get there.

Has anyone found this differently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can definitely make a difference, especially in a tight game. I almost always build the second barn, and it has always helped me substantially, even if for only a few rounds at the end of the game.

Remember, it plays a double role of giving you points AND taking potential points away from other players, as they can no longer score from those fields! At the end of the game, this limits your opponent's placements and also forces them into defensive moves rather than scoring points for themselves (but watch that they don't get too many livestock tokens in the process!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Getting 2 barns Number of Turns Per Player?
Thanks Jeff for your perspective here! This has become my favorite tile laying game and I really hope it gets reprinted. This is SDJ material!

I find even if i'm judicious with getting farm points and getting to one barn, I might be able to grab some animal tiles (1 or 2) first. But it seems that you'd have to work very focused on the farm track in order to get two barns?

For example Let's assume we will get 1 turn left once you get to the 6+1 end game tiles, and that that each person uses 2 of the 5 small tiles as a single placement (not using them underneath a large tile). Here are the amount of turns a player will get in the game depending on the number of players:

2 Players - 17 turns (remove 20 tiles - 6 for in hand setup tiles - 6 for the end game pile leaves 28 large tiles left)

3 Players - 15 turns (remove 10 tiles - 9 for in hand setup tiles - 6 for the end game pile leaves 35 large tiles left)

4 Players - 14 turns (12 for in hand setup tiles - 6 for the end game pile leaves 42 large tiles left)

5 Players - 11 turns (15 for in hand setup tiles - 6 for the end game pile leaves 42 large tiles left)

Based on those turn #'s here are the least amount of turns it could take someone to get 1 or 2 barns assuming they used just the large tiles that had the right type of crop and 1 & 2 barn symbols respectively on them along with the turns left after this was accomplished.

2 Players
1 Barn - 6 turns (35% of turns)
Turns left - 11
2 Barn - 9 turns (53% of turns)
Turns left - 8

3 Players
1 Barn - 6 turns (40% of turns)
Turns left - 9 turns
2 Barn - 9 turns (60%)
Turns Left - 6

4 Players
1 Barn - 4 turns (29% of turns)
Turns left - 10
2 Barn - 8 turns (57% of turns)
Turns Left - 6

5 Players
1 Barn - 3 turns (28% of turns)
Turns left - 8 turns
2 Barn - 5 turns (45% of turns)
Turns Left - 6

Of course this above assumed you got the perfect match of the tiles you needed in order to get those barns in the least amount of moves possible. In real life you probably need 1-3 more turns to do it depending on your tile draws.

This also means in this case above you'd have that many turns left and 0 points but 1 or 2 barns.

So maybe you'd have 4 or 5 turns left to get points starting at 0 points and 2 barns to play catch up up at this time.

Does this logic sound reasonable to you?

Thanks
Dan King
The Game Boy Geek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Dan, and I'm glad you enjoy the game!

I don't have time to look at your figures in depth at the moment, but I will say that getting the barns usually involves playing the single-field tiles at strategic moments, so you will have more turns that way.

And I think it depends on the scoring options on the board at any given moment. Sometimes I can score as many points with a second barn in one turn as what I could score through harvest points, and I'm blocking a region for my opponents at the same time.

So there may certainly be games where 2nd barns are not worth it. It's important to see what the other players are doing and time your point surges for the right moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jeff,
I played it twice with 2 player last night and was able to get both barns out both times when I tried to focus on it, and I can now see its usefulness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.