Subject: Yet more Campaign questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Well, I don't have 3rd or 4th edition rules. And I don't know what RAW stands for, so if you'll cut me some slack, I've got some questions about the old 2nd edition W&P Campaign game scenario.

First up is the Turn Sequence. (p. 21 E). In the 6-player game we just played, Prussia, being neutral, had the first segment to himself and promptly declared himself Pro-French in his alliance phase (d). Since movement came first (c), he couldn't do much to help Nappy, as rules say neutrals have to stay in their own country, and he was still neutral at that time. But the real question came in the Pro French Segment. After getting clobbered on the high seas, (phase a), during the alliance phase (c), Spain declared itself outta here and neutral. Does this mean Spain doesn't even get to move its land units on turn 1? Movement comes after alliance phase for Pro French and Anti-French, but BEFORE alliance phase for neutral major players. Also, does this let Prussia move and roll for replacements twice in one turn? Using the Turn Sequence, it appears so.

Second, I've got naval rules questions (yeah, I know. Who doesn't?). If I want to run a blockade with every French and Spanish Fleet AND move the few non-blockaded fleets all towards that big port in Northern Spain (sorry, memory lapses with age), I believe I have to let Nelson and any other ships try interception/pursuit first (on the non-blockade vessels),THEN after that's worked out, I can try busting out. So, if the blockading ships wished, could they try intercepting the non-blockaded ships I launched? A rule indicates that a ship can't attempt any more interceptions once it has succeeded in catching one, implying to me that, if they fail to intercept, they can keep trying all day. I could be wrong.

Then there's the "if a ship loses and pursuit fails, they go to the nearest friendly port. Now in the big old sea zones on the map, just where would that be? Can I say "I was shooting for northern Spain, so how about San Sebastion?

And lastly, about those minor states...just when do you move those four counters from the neutral to the pro-??? boxes? (especially with a six-player game). If France stomps on every city in North Italy, does that make them pro or anti- France? More importantly, the rules on conquering minor states mention converting their force pools to counters of the victor, but in 1805, many of them have no force pool. (Spain doesn't either, which also confuses me.) But wouldn't it be kinda self-defeating for France, who's supposed to be the aggressor, to attack minor states with no force pool? Seems there's nothing to be gained, except (possibly) a unit or two already deployed.
Thanks for any help on this golden oldie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll start with the easy one first: RAW usually stands for Rules As Written, meaning without any additions or changes / houserules etc. Of course there can still be ambiguities in the RaW, where different players have differing interpretations.

Regarding sequencing of powers that change allegiance, I believe (caveat, this is based on memory, I don't have a rules based 'legal argument') that Spain would indeed lose their ground movement / combat. Prussia would not get a double turn, they are considered to already have had their turn during the neutrals section, and would have to wait until the next game turn before they would have their next turn (which would of course be during the pro-French segment). I think the former at least was done on purpose, to avoid and 'gamey' manipulation of allegiance changes.

There are too many 'versions' of the naval rules for me to want to dive in there. Perhaps John will be able to clarify the naval rules.

EDIT:

I think this covers the status of minors:

Quote:
During the game, whenever a pro-French force controls the production city of a minor state, that state automatically becomes pro-French. Whenever an anti-French force controls the production city of a minor state, that state automatically becomes anti-French. If all of the production cities of a minor state group are controlled by pro-French forces, the group is considered a pro-French power. If all of the production cities of a minor state group are controlled by anti-French forces, the group is considered an anti-French power. If the production city of minor state is not controlled by pro or anti-French forces, the minor state is neutral and the group it is part of is automatically considered neutral as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.