Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...



Conclusion:

I bought this game sight unseen because of the theme. I'm a sucker for comic book games despite the fact that I never read comic books. Go figure. I've played a great Marvel game (Legendary) and another good one (Marvel Heroes), but I lack a good DC game. I do like the Batman Strategy game okay, but nothing that mixes all the heroes of DC super heroes. I was hoping for a game like Marvel Heroes (or better).

Instead, I got a mess of a game. Sort of. Let me explain. I almost need to write two reviews: 1. For Gamers 2. For mass market/kids.

As a gamers game, this game is way too simple and way too convoluted. The game is just boring to play and we all wanted to quit during the game. The decisions are not interesting nor are they difficult. Everything is pretty straight forward and pretty obvious. As a mass market game for kids, this game is pretty awesome. With beautiful minis, the stage is set for an all out battle. The box says 14+ which is way too old for this game. I would say an 8 year old should be able to play this game with a parent playing with him. I do wish the game was okay for two players so a father and son could play. If you have multiple sons, it would be fun to play father vs the sons.

I am going to keep this duel review going. I would not play this game with a group of friends. I will keep this game around to play with my son (when he gets older) and nephews. If the game components were not so eye popping, I would just let the game go. But the minis are so great that I think I could get some boys in the family to play this with me. Perhaps, some house rules could make the game more interesting. You do need a strong player to play the bad guy.

On the surface, the game is just boring. It is pretty obvious that the good guys needs to get to the crisis and do the best they can and then get to the Watchtower to heal. Rinse. Repeat.

The bad guy has a tad more to do, but not any less boring. They need to get the crisis cards out, keep the timer moving on the crisis cards, and then close out the crisis as soon as possible.

I really wanted this game to be fun. I really wanted this to be a game that exceeded what I knew it was going to be. It isn't. It wasn't. Instead, I get a very good mass market game that has its moments, but won't appeal to anyone that games on a regular basis. The mechanics are just not there despite a lot of trying.

The plus for the game is the hand management, even though you only have four cards to start the game with and they are really just possible actions. Another big plus of the game is how you can mitigate the fighting of the crisis with dice. Anytime you can work together with the other super heroes is a big plus for the team, although it means they are not doing something else. I don't want to say the game is all bad; there are good qualities to this game. It just is so boring.

Purge, if I was going to game with adults. Keep to play with children.



Components:

The components are a mixed bag. The minis included in the game are fantastic. The poses used are a little odd, but they are able to be used in a game called Heroclix so they may have other purposes. The cards lack any sort of art work on the cards. They are purely numbers, words, and icons. They are very functional, but not very pretty to look at. The cards are good quality and shuffle well.

The chits are nice and themed. Everything is themed very well (except for the cards lacking any art work). The board is nice, but it really is just circles that represent cities. There isn't any realistic geography to the board. It is very abstract. Honestly, the components live and die based on the Heroclix figures.



Rule Book:

The rule book is a hot mess. Long, convoluted, and not very useful to look things up is the best way to describe it. The game is actually pretty simple to play once you learn the rules, but this book makes it so difficult to learn. Mind you, gamers will be able to get through this book, this isn't ASL. Yet, I think this game is for the mass market and/or kids and the book will prevent quite a few people from being able to play this game. I would highly recommend reading this book and pulling the game out and going through a turn or two solo to get everything down.



Flow of the Game:

In my opinion, the rule book is a mess so I'm going to try my best to explain this game the best I can.

The super heroes are cooperating to get 12 VP, while the evil player is trying to also get 12 VP first. The main way to get VP is via crisis cards. The team who wins the crisis will get the card which gives them VP.

Here are some general points about the game that must be understood:

1. Crisis Cards:

Good guys - they go to the city with the card and use their abilities to meet the requirements on the cards; if they lack the required ability, they can roll the Justice League dice (these dice can hurt or help you)

Bad Guys - he is trying to add "time" to the crisis, once there is three, he can end the crisis and score VP

2. Action Cards:

All players have a hand of cards which they can use. These cards will have a number (initiative order) and the power it does. The good guys will each play one card face down and the bad guy plays two face down. The cards are played out in initiative order.

3. Wounds:

If a player gets three wounds, he "dies" and must end his turn and heal for the next round. You get VP for killing either side.

4. XP:

All players can get XP that will allow them to level up. Leveling up just means you can add more cards to your hand which in effect give you different (and stronger) possible actions.

Game Turn:

1. Hero planning: The heroes decide which cards they are going to play. These cards are played face down.

2. Darkseid Planning: He selects two cards and plays them face down.

3. Reveal and Execute: All cards are turned over and executed based on initiative order printed on the cards.

4. Replenish cards and train: Some cards that are played are put back in your hand and you can upgrade your character if you can.

There are a few other rules about fighting the other players, but for the most part this is the entire game.

I do want to comment a little on these mechanics:

A. Most of the cards the heroes have do the same thing: move, fight a crisis, etc. This means a lot of the characters play the same. They may have a card or two that does something different, but other than the abilities being a little different they are not that much different. I guess Superman is a lot stronger than Batman. It just doesn't feel different.

B. Maybe we had group think, but we spent a lot of time moving and then trying to solve a crisis. There wasn't a lot of things to do, so it could be repetitive.

C. The evil player has a lot to do and little time. He uses a system of energy tokens to do his actions and using the cards to put more crisis on the board and to keep the clock ticking on the crisis cards.

D. I wasn't very familiar with Darkseid or Cyborg so those characters had little appeal to me. I can't comment whether these guys played like they should have. Even so, we never really felt like we were Superman or Batman.


Should I buy this game?:

I would recommend this game only for someone to play with kids. I would say 8+, even though the box says 14+. It could be fun for an uncle/father to play against a group of sons/nephews. The super heroes play cooperative against the single evil player. This could be really fun as they gang up on dad. The mechanics are simple when combined with the game play, but they are a step up for a mass market game. I'm just so confused with whether this game is trying to be a mass market game or a light gamer game. This could be a game you could actually have fun playing with a kid.

Purge for a gamer. Keeper to play with kids.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robot romeo
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 383 TJustice League Strategy Game: A terrible game for gamers, but is fantastic for a mass market kids game
Thanks for the review. It sounds like this is a step backup from the Gotham City Strategy Game. I think I'll pass.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 383 TJustice League Strategy Game: A terrible game for gamers, but is fantastic for a mass market kids game
robot_romeo wrote:
Thanks for the review. It sounds like this is a step backup from the Gotham City Strategy Game. I think I'll pass.


I did like the Gotham game better, although that game goes a little long. This is an odd game because I wasn't sure who the target audience is.

For a kids game, this is a really good game if compared to mass market games. It has some interesting mechanics for a kids game. If this is for gamers, it fails. That is my biggest struggle about it. The box says 14+ so I was assuming more for gamers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Velasco
United States
Bakersfield
CA
flag msg tools
Re: The Purge: # 383 TJustice League Strategy Game: A terrible game for gamers, but is fantastic for a mass market kids game
It'd be so great if an expansion was made for this game with cards added to locations from the Darkseid character that display the full character art for minions of Darkseid as well as other well known major enemy villains against members of the Justice League that could help further a sense of comic book story and add a greater sense of theme to the game. The same could go for other DC good side character cards added as opposition to Darkseid and his schemes. Points could also be given/subtracted individually to or from each player as s/he tackles villains and or has good guy helper characters demolished by Darkseid and his minions to add extra point based competition within the Justice League team itself. The worst part of this game is the rich amount of DC Justice League universe content is barely even touched. There is so much one could explore in terms of story and other characters to be awesomely displayed in the cards. Instead of numbers for Darkseid's plot cards, there could be illustrated scenes showing the plots underway with the names for each, and numbers somewhere small on the corner of the cards. Agh, really is a shame. At least the clix characters along with the card art that is there looks really nice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 383 TJustice League Strategy Game: A terrible game for gamers, but is fantastic for a mass market kids game
Lannity wrote:
It'd be so great if an expansion was made for this game with cards added to locations from the Darkseid character that have minions of Darkseid as well as other well known major enemy villains against members of the Justice League that could add a sense of story and greater theme to the game.


Not sure if you're referring to the art(?), but the Crisis deck includes 24 different characters from the DC Universe, including both well known characters (Brainiac, Doomsday) and Darkseid's inner circle (Desaad, Steppenwolf, etc) All of these cards also include detailed flavor text as well.

Agreed that these cards do not include art, but otherwise they are precisely what you describe above.

Andrew
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Velasco
United States
Bakersfield
CA
flag msg tools
Re: The Purge: # 383 TJustice League Strategy Game: A terrible game for gamers, but is fantastic for a mass market kids game
Thank you Andrew. The art is part of what I was referring to. I've updated the post to be more inline with what was in mind at the time of writing the initial response above.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
Lannity wrote:
It'd be so great if an expansion was made for this game with cards added to locations from the Darkseid character that have minions of Darkseid as well as other well known major enemy villains against members of the Justice League that could add a sense of story and greater theme to the game.


Not sure if you're referring to the art(?), but the Crisis deck includes 24 different characters from the DC Universe, including both well known characters (Brainiac, Doomsday) and Darkseid's inner circle (Desaad, Steppenwolf, etc) All of these cards also include detailed flavor text as well.

Agreed that these cards do not include art, but otherwise they are precisely what you describe above.

Andrew


Yes, the lack of art really didn't draw me in (and I'm sure others). It didn't feel like I was fighting bad guys.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duncan easton
England
Leeds
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a very useful review, thanks. I might have been sucked into getting this without thinking but it's made me step back a bit.

Just one slight criticism is that you've been very gender specific about playing this with 'sons/nephews'. If my experience is anything to go by then daughters and nieces will also enjoy this kind of stuff.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this. While I don't think it's a fantastic game , I think it's much better than William did. The fun in playing darkseid is trying to strategically score the crisis you want. You won't get them all or even most but out guessing what the opponent is going to do is fun. This game is mostly about those mind games of out guessing your opponent
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dreaming_idiot wrote:
That's a very useful review, thanks. I might have been sucked into getting this without thinking but it's made me step back a bit.

Just one slight criticism is that you've been very gender specific about playing this with 'sons/nephews'. If my experience is anything to go by then daughters and nieces will also enjoy this kind of stuff.


Other people have said that to me. These are my reviews and really just my experience with the game. My daughter wants to play with princesses. My nieces are not into super heroes.

I think it is safe to say that super heroes are marketed towards boys and princesses towards girls. Maybe we are the minority, but I don't think so. Maybe girls are into super heroes and boys into princesses. But it would be dishonest for me to state that is my experience.

I think if you have daughters/nieces that want to play with super heroes over princesses then you are super lucky!

No offense intended. For me to be super PC and type him/her, she/he for everything would be time consuming and I think only a minority would be appeased.

I really don't mean to offend. It just never crosses my mind to be political correct. So please don't take offense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:
I just played this. While I don't think it's a fantastic game , I think it's much better than William did. The fun in playing darkseid is trying to strategically score the crisis you want. You won't get them all or even most but out guessing what the opponent is going to do is fun. This game is mostly about those mind games of out guessing your opponent


The game isn't without merit. It is a fantastic mass market game. I would rather player Marvel Heroes. When compared to other designer games, it fell flat. It has a place.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:

Other people have said that to me. These are my reviews and really just my experience with the game. My daughter wants to play with princesses. My nieces are not into super heroes.


But you didn't say that it is something you could play with your sons or nephews. You wrote, "It could be fun for an uncle/father to play against a group of sons/nephews." I agree that "him/her" is awkward, but you've already written a sentence with /s used for alternatives. You might think about writing something like "...a group of sons/daughters/nephews/nieces/whatever."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
william4192 wrote:

Other people have said that to me. These are my reviews and really just my experience with the game. My daughter wants to play with princesses. My nieces are not into super heroes.


But you didn't say that it is something you could play with your sons or nephews. You wrote, "It could be fun for an uncle/father to play against a group of sons/nephews." I agree that "him/her" is awkward, but you've already written a sentence with /s used for alternatives. You might think about writing something like "...a group of sons/daughters/nephews/nieces/whatever."


Ok. Duly noted.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
pmagnus wrote:
william4192 wrote:

Other people have said that to me. These are my reviews and really just my experience with the game. My daughter wants to play with princesses. My nieces are not into super heroes.


But you didn't say that it is something you could play with your sons or nephews. You wrote, "It could be fun for an uncle/father to play against a group of sons/nephews." I agree that "him/her" is awkward, but you've already written a sentence with /s used for alternatives. You might think about writing something like "...a group of sons/daughters/nephews/nieces/whatever."


Ok. Duly noted.


Just say 'young, measured chronologically, comic-book character fans who are human and possibly related to you - or perhaps not' - that should cover it unless dogs and cats would also enjoy the game.

/snark
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterhit wrote:
william4192 wrote:
pmagnus wrote:
william4192 wrote:

Other people have said that to me. These are my reviews and really just my experience with the game. My daughter wants to play with princesses. My nieces are not into super heroes.


But you didn't say that it is something you could play with your sons or nephews. You wrote, "It could be fun for an uncle/father to play against a group of sons/nephews." I agree that "him/her" is awkward, but you've already written a sentence with /s used for alternatives. You might think about writing something like "...a group of sons/daughters/nephews/nieces/whatever."


Ok. Duly noted.


Just say 'young, measured chronologically, comic-book character fans who are human and possibly related to you - or perhaps not' - that should cover it unless dogs and cats would also enjoy the game.

/snark


That is funny. I don't mean to offend. I didn't think it is a secret that boys generally speaking like action heroes. Of course it doesn't exclude girls from liking them. Maybe I'm an old man and girls like super heroes now and boys like princesses. It honestly wouldn't surprise me.

In my experience, with my kids and kids of friends I know and family, the majority of the girls like princesses and the boys like super heroes. My experience is a small sample size.

I don't want to sound like my experience is correct, it is just what I know. I seriously didn't write a review to offend. I'll try to be more careful in the future. If more girls like super heroes, I'm totally cool with that! I know I try hard with my daughter, she just tends to lean towards the pink's, purple's, and princesses.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Swords
United Kingdom
Scunthorpe
North Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
I've played a great Marvel game (Legendary) and another good one (Marvel Heroes), but I lack a good DC game. I do like the Batman Strategy game okay, but nothing that mixes all the heroes of DC super heroes. I was hoping for a game like Marvel Heroes (or better).


You should perhaps try the DC deck building game (one thing i have to say is for some reason DC games suck at naming!)Myself and my gaming group found it a much better game than legendary, much better artwork, easier to understand cards/rules (not that legendary is difficult mind) and generally a more fun game to play (and some of my group are diehard Marvel fans)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Bowlby
Canada
Melville
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
[q="dreaming_idiot"]My daughter wants to play with princesses.


You can let them know that Wonder Woman is a princess.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Uninvited Ghost wrote:
william4192 wrote:
[q="dreaming_idiot"]My daughter wants to play with princesses.


You can let them know that Wonder Woman is a princess.


Yeah, you are right
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron May
msg tools
How compatible are the game pieces with play in a normal HeroClix game?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Kukamunga
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Beard37 wrote:
How compatible are the game pieces with play in a normal HeroClix game?


I haven't played this one, but the Batman Gotham City strategy board game, which came out not long before this one, had "swtch clix" pieces. The stats on the dials of the pieces for the game had nothing to do with Heroclix (besides being able "click" them), but the game came with Heroclix bases you could switch them with, so you were able to use the figures in a game of Heroclix. If I were to wager a guess, I'd say that this game probably has the same "switch clix" pieces, which would mean that they are fully compatible with Heroclix.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ChronoRogue wrote:
Beard37 wrote:
How compatible are the game pieces with play in a normal HeroClix game?


I haven't played this one, but the Batman Gotham City strategy board game, which came out not long before this one, had "swtch clix" pieces. The stats on the dials of the pieces for the game had nothing to do with Heroclix (besides being able "click" them), but the game came with Heroclix bases you could switch them with, so you were able to use the figures in a game of Heroclix. If I were to wager a guess, I'd say that this game probably has the same "switch clix" pieces, which would mean that they are fully compatible with Heroclix.


Correct, Justice League comes with the SwitchClix bases.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.