Subject: Soong Photon Torpedo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Lin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Attack (Target Lock): Spend your target lock and disable this card to perform this attack.

If the target ship is damaged by this attack, destroy 1 additional Active Shield on that ship (if possible).

If fired from a Borg ship, add +1 Attack Die."

Because of the word of rules for other torpedoes, the Borg ships normally wouldn't be able to slot and fire them because they do not have Front or Rear arcs.

As this attack makes no mention of a firing arc at all, does this assume that we can fire it at any enemy that is within Range 2-3, or do we assume that it has to come from only the front arc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeijiTataki wrote:
"Attack (Target Lock): Spend your target lock and disable this card to perform this attack.

If the target ship is damaged by this attack, destroy 1 additional Active Shield on that ship (if possible).

Because of the word of rules for other torpedoes, the Borg ships normally wouldn't be able to slot and fire them because they do not have Front or Rear arcs.

As this attack makes no mention of a firing arc at all, does this assume that we can fire it at any enemy that is within Range 2-3, or do we assume that it has to come from only the front arc?

You can only fire weapons from your firing arcs, unless stated otherwise. The Soong can only fire them from out of its normal firing arc. However, since it doesn't mention the forward/rear firing arcs like most torpedoes, the sphere/cube (and any future Borg ships with 360-degree arcs) would be able to fire them as well (from any direction due to their firing arc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
SeijiTataki wrote:

You can only fire weapons from your firing arcs, unless stated otherwise. The Soong can only fire them from out of its normal firing arc. However, since it doesn't mention the forward/rear firing arcs like most torpedoes, the sphere/cube (and any future Borg ships with 360-degree arcs) would be able to fire them as well (from any direction due to their firing arc).

Although, how hard you'd have had to be dropped on your head to take this weapon on the Sphere or Tactical Cube instead of just sticking with the primary shot, and using the target lock for rerolls...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

Although, how hard you'd have had to be dropped on your head to take this weapon on the Sphere or Tactical Cube instead of just sticking with the primary shot, and using the target lock for rerolls...

I'm not sure its worth it for the five points, but I suspect the logic would be that if you rolled the same result on the torpedo and the primary, you're going to get an extra hit out of it from the torpedo (provided you hit someone with shields up), in addition to denying them the bonus defense from being at range 3.

Still not the greatest for a Borg unless you like playing it safe (and expensive) but it sure is worth it for tossing on something like, say, the Yeager, who can make torpedo strikes all day as long as it can get a lock. (And still bump them running something like Breen Aide + Mr. Spock with a scan action from high energy sensor sweep, picard, or flagship)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Scout Cube has a weapons slot, you'd assume this weapon might be a bit of an attack boost for them. Though we probably won't know for sure for another month or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me personally, I'd take Borg Missile over it every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knadle
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
SeijiTataki wrote:
XanderF wrote:

I'm not sure its worth it for the five points, but I suspect the logic would be that if you rolled the same result on the torpedo and the primary, you're going to get an extra hit out of it from the torpedo (provided you hit someone with shields up), in addition to denying them the bonus defense from being at range 3.

Still not the greatest for a Borg unless you like playing it safe (and expensive) but it sure is worth it for tossing on something like, say, the Yeager, who can make torpedo strikes all day as long as it can get a lock. (And still bump them running something like Breen Aide + Mr. Spock with a scan action from high energy sensor sweep, picard, or flagship)

it was my understanding that the bonuses from Breen Aide and Mr. Spock could not be activated by the same scan token (page 22).

In order to achieve a combined assault of this type you would need some other mechanic to get a second scan token. I.E. Janeway.

The free actions listed cannot be used to achieve the second token as they are, indeed just that, actions. The rules state you cannot perform the same action twice including a free variations of that action (page 12).

-M Krakatoa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.