Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(I'd like to point out that when I use the term dungeon crawler in this post, I'm actually referring to games like Descent, Zombicide and Sedition Wars. I.e. miniatures that move in an area and encounter enemies and get loot.)

I have finally snapped when Zombicide Season 3 arrived with like a gazillion new expansions and heroes and I've decided that f*ck this, I'm getting something else.

So I'm currently selling my Season 1 on eBay and will probably not end up at the nearest soup kitchen for it, if you catch my drift.

This puts quite a hole in my collection however as it's my only miniatures game or dungeon crawler type game that is actually coop, and we have really enjoyed the coop parts of Zombicide, although some other parts have felt more lacking.
I have several similar games, but they lack the coop part. Like Descent: Journeys in the Dark, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), DungeonQuest (third edition), Sedition Wars: Battle for Alabaster and Tannhäuser.

So I did a search to try and get some ideas for a replacement game. I found ten threads here in the Recommendation forum and I've taken almost every game they suggested and summarised it here. While there are a hand full that fit the bill at a glance quite a few of the threads were old, it seems like there should be more games out there.

What we enjoyed in Zombicide:
*Minatures
*Beautiful artwork.
*Pure Pandemic style coop.
*Simplicity (as in less rules than Descent)

What we did not enjoy as much in Zombicide:
*Lack of progression.
*Overly simplified.
*Lack of complexity and depth in missions.
*Lack of storytelling (at least to some extent).
*Almost complete lack of balancing in missions (same amount of zombies for four heroes as for six and no suggested maximum amount of zombie figures).

Games that have been suggested but are entirely the wrong category (from what I've gathered):
Arkham Horror - Not a dungeon crawler type game. Also, a good friend has this and Ive borrowed it to try it out for other reasons.
Cutthroat Caverns - Not a dungeon crawler type game.
Defenders of the Realm - Not a dungeon crawler type game.
Horus Heresy (2010) - Not a dungeon crawler type game. Also, I already own it.
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set - Card game.
Runebound (Second Edition) - Not a dungeon crawler type game. Also, a good friend has this and I'm eager to try it out for other reasons.

Games that doesn't exactly fit the bill for different reasons:
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game and Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game - Seems very basic and quite boring.
Betrayal at House on the Hill - Heard a lot of bad things about this game.
Gears of War: The Board Game - A good friend has this and it's probably available for lending.
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game - Already own this.
Mansions of Madness - Doesn't seem like a perfect fit for some reason. Also, a good friend has this and it's surely available at my leisure.
Super Fantasy: Ugly Snouts Assault - Nooooooooope.
Myth - The same good friend was part of the Kickstarter. Will be interesting to see it when it arrives.

Games that doesn't exactly fit the bill but I will look into for other reasons and that is not owned by friends:
Claustrophobia
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game - No miniatures but sounds interesting.
Mice and Mystics
Super Dungeon Explore - Requires overlord.
Mage Knight Board Game - Sounds very fun, but is more like Runebound.

Games that have been suggested and seem at a glance like they merit a closer look:
Dark Darker Darkest
Galaxy Defenders
Legends of Andor

There's also two other interesting avenues. Converting Descent into a solo/co-op dungeon crawl (Nerdook's Variant) and Descent + Warhammer Quest = Descent Quest, both of which convert Descent into coop games. This would obviously be advantageous because I already own most of Descent and there are an abundance of stuff for it. On the downside is that I feel that both Descent editions suffer severely from misbalancing, an issue that these conversions probably does not correct.

There's also the idea that I don't need another frickin' miniatures game and should get something else instead.

Hear me, o mighty oracle of endless wisdom that is the BGG community.

(Edited to reflect responses.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever consider Gears of War: The Board Game? That's one of my favorite dudes on a map game.

From your list I've had fun with the d&d games, mice and mystics, and Mage knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtybacon wrote:
Ever consider Gears of War: The Board Game? That's one of my favorite dudes on a map game.

From your list I've had fun with the d&d games, mice and mystics, and Mage knight.

That's one game that should have been on the list, yes. The same good friend actually has that one as well. Although I was under the impression that it was more 2 player head to head like Sedition Wars or Tannhäuser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May I humbly submit for your consideration:
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game

Others will chime in, but it fully meets your requirements of:
*Complexity and depth in missions. We have 10 different objectives in the base game, that are all completely different.
*Lack of storytelling (at least to some extent). The game is loaded with story moments. From the tension created from the Secret Objectives, to the Crossroad cards.
*Almost complete lack of balancing in missions (same amount of zombies for four heroes as for six and no suggested maximum amount of zombie figures). Objective goals and setups vary by number of players. We had over 100 groups playtesting the game to make sure the balance was right where we wanted it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I was ok with Zombicie.
I'm ALL OVER Mice and Mystics in the same coop vein.
D&D system is pretty flat.
(Arkam Horror is a FAVE, but I woulddn't put it in the class, but it shows you my taste)

Claustraphobia is amazing (but it's a different beast..head to head...well worth it...I've yet to see anything that scratches this itch, or even come close)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely look into Galaxy Defenders.

Sedition Wars is in the process of finalizing the solo rules. Maybe they can be easily tweaked for co-op?
https://s3.amazonaws.com/sedition_wars/SW_solo_rules-open_be...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead of Winter looks interesting but doesn't seem like it fits. Have added it to a list of games to look into.

I agree, after looking at a few videos of D&D it does seem very flat. No equipment felt like a bad move with that game.

Thanks, Claustophobia moved to a list of games that doesn't fit the bill but looks interesting.

That's very interesting about Sedition Wars. I honestly haven't even unpacked it yet. I heard some bad stuff about it but when I found it at 60% off I decided to give it a go, if only for the nice models.

(Main post has been updated to reflect all answers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
What about Robinson Crusoe? Im looking for a co-op as well and Im close to pulling the trigger on it. I haven't found many negative comments about it, and almost everyone says it is an engaging, story driven, and challenging co-op. No minis though, and not a dungeon crawler.

Edit: also, descent 2nd ed. has a co-op kit called Forgotten Souls that people are raving about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
What about Robinson Crusoe? Im looking for a co-op as well and Im close to pulling the trigger on it. I haven't found many negative comments about it, and almost everyone says it is an engaging, story driven, and challenging co-op. No minis though, and not a dungeon crawler.

I'm always happy to hear about good coop games. I don't really have that many and I feel they are often well received with the people I play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Mage Knight as a great game. It is not a "dungeon crawler" but it does meet your description of something where you move around, get loot, and power up. It is a much more complex game than Zombicide though, so you might want to make sure your group is ok with the jump.

-1 to the D&D games (like Wrath of Ashardalon). The games get very repetitive very quickly and the events will wear thin extremely fast. Your first play or two will be fun but after that there's no staying power.

Neutral on Mice & Mystics - great production values and story. Gameplay is fairly good, but it's possible to lose any scenario entirely based on rolling too much cheese on the dice during enemy turns. Others in my group like it more than I do.

I have heard great things about Robinson Crusoe but have not played it.

Some other good co-op games (but not crawlers):

Sentinels of the Multiverse
Ghost Stories
Agents of SMERSH
Hanabi

Space Alert is another great co-op game but it plays very, very differently from any other one. I would try it before buying it as some people find it far too stressful to be enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Devine
Australia
Lara
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd say +1 for Galaxy Defenders personally. While there are a few other good recommendations here, I think this matches what you are after as closely as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't want to get you to the point returning to Zombicide might I add that it is a system that is very easy to tweak? Not enough action ? - just add a spawn token and you can balance a game between 4 or 6 players.

If you have one of the "maniacs" in your gaming group like we have (jump in the car, jump in the car, gooooooooo... - thanks for leveling the whole group up shake ) the game is pure fun. It is for sure not a highly analytical tactical game - but a fun "uebershooter".

And that is exactly the point why I support the 3rd KS (hadn't done the the first 2). And I am "developing" with my gaming group a scenario where you go into a city and try to find a hideout. Is it the mall or do you go to the old prison? Or just barricade yourself in the hospital while the crowd of Zombies is gathering in front of the doors...zombie

We're trying to do this as a co-op and PvP (Group vs Group vs Zombies). We'll see how it goes.

Comcerning the games you mentioned:
Arkham Horror: great storytelling, game can be easier if the card-draw is on your side or can become difficult if you just draw "the lousy stuff". Lots of expansions which really add to the game. N

Pathfinder Adventure: I like what they did in the RPG and so I bought the card game. Not exactly sure about it. The game we played was ok but it did not feel that we had much to do. We need to play this with a bigger group, playing with 3 was a bit dull. Even the comments were: Yeah, okay it was never brought back to the table. E

The D & D games: They are easy and they play the same. That's the good and the bad thing. E

Dark Darker: Not so bad with the 2nd edition of the rules. Lot's of minis. IMHO needs some house-rule-tweaking (loss of weapons doesn't mean loss of code. f. ex.) NE

Dead of Winter: Funny, when a buddy told me about it, it sounded great. Then I start reading about the game and behold: I felt like being in on of the sociology - lectures again. Took it off from my "interested to buy" - list and are very hesitant about it. SE

Have you considered Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game? It's not the "revelation of games" but it was fun to play and given the expansions there is a ton of stuff so replayability is very good. NE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
While I don't want to get you to the point returning to Zombicide might I add that it is a system that is very easy to tweak? Not enough action ? - just add a spawn token and you can balance a game between 4 or 6 players.

While you have a point there, it's still me that have to do the balancing and playtest it before it can actually be used.

Alphawolf wrote:
Dark Darker: Not so bad with the 2nd edition of the rules. Lot's of minis. IMHO needs some house-rule-tweaking (loss of weapons doesn't mean loss of code. f. ex.) NE

I'm not entirely sure what loss of code is or what "f. ex." means. I will have a look at the game. I remember seeing it when it was on kickstarter or something and didn't get too excited.

Alphawolf wrote:
Dead of Winter: Funny, when a buddy told me about it, it sounded great. Then I start reading about the game and behold: I felt like being in on of the sociology - lectures again. Took it off from my "interested to buy" - list and are very hesitant about it. SE

That actually have me more interested than before.

Alphawolf wrote:
Have you considered Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game? It's not the "revelation of games" but it was fun to play and given the expansions there is a ton of stuff so replayability is very good. NE

I actually have a complete set with everything (up til a year ago at least) plus a signed promo card. It saw quite a bit of play in the beginning but then it trailed off and after Zombicide i noticed that we'd quite consistently choose Zombicide over LNoE. Im not sure why but after seeing the nice figures and artwork from Zombicide LNoE somewhat lost its appeal and I'm actually considering selling it. It and Zombicide feels pretty close to each other from a rules perspective, but of course with the major difference that it isn't coop. But there are a lot of similarities in both playstyle and rule set.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor

It doesn't have the minis, but it's the only coop we own that provides the pure Pandemic-style gameplay, lack of complexity, and narrative of Zombicide.

We've kept Zombicide Season 1, but sold most of the other stuff. We keep it around (in a 300+ item collection with loads of coops) because the B-movie theme and simplistic gameplay is excellent with non-gamers. Also, friends immersed in geek culture like the theme.

Galaxy Defenders and Gears of War are our preferred 'dudes on a map with minis' coops with just my husband and I (I prefer Galaxy Defenders. He prefers Gears), but they are an order of complexity above Zombicide and lack narrative. I would never play these games with my mum, for example. They're pretty clunky and have lots of rules exceptions.

The D&D Adventure games are very 'gamey'. They are simple, but the rules encourage non-thematic strategies such as placing monsters on adjacent tiles and running away. They take an hour, are VERY light, repetitive and not especially epic. We enjoy playing them on weekday evenings when we're both tired, but fancy a dungeon crawl. I'd compare them to Uno or something.

I've never played Defenders of the Realm, but it may be worth a look. It's supposed to be 'fantasy Pandemic'.

Other coops:

Robinson Crusoe - a cooperative worker placement eurogame. More like Agricola than Zombicide, but thematic.
Ghost Stories - our favourite coop, but nothing like Zombicide. It is the hardest game in the world ever. It has lots of fiddly rules (esp. With the expansion) and you always die. The art is nice.
Sentinels of the Multiverse/Galactic Strike Force - our most-played coops outside the Lord of Rings LCG. Both games require vast quantities of bookkeeping and perform best with a gaming group that includes lots of accountant/mathematician types. If that's your gaming group, they rank as the best coops ever. Everyone gets their own deck of cards to play (they're card games) and they both have fun quirky themes.
Legendary - coop deckbuilder. No minis and pretty quick. Good fun and popular with our friends, especially if you like the superhero theme.
Pathfinder - card game. The gameplay is similar complexity to the D&D games. Turn over a card, roll dice and see what happens. It's very simple and the pleasure is in configuring your hero between missions. Again, we play this when we're half-asleep. It's not the main event of a gaming evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel you on Zombicide, its become my turkey, the game I liked but can't stand it anymore. I'm tired of playing a game for 2-3 hours just to get devoured at the end.

+1 Galaxy Defenders. I actually passed on the season 2 stuff, because season 1 box has so much to do, that and they put out a mission editor where you can easily make your own maps and scenarios, so really there's no end. honestly I find the 1st mission hard enough (I play mostly with my kids, 9 and 7). There's a lot of character progression and leveling up. There's even stuff to run Galaxy Ball, their own SciFi sports game. Lot's of replayability in this thing. There's a phone app to keep track of your characters as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me to the list of people who think you should try Galaxy Defenders (reprint of the core set is supposed to be available in August according to Ares). It pretty much nails everything on both your "enjoyed this" and "didn't enjoy this" lists. It's currently my favorite solo game.

I don't know about the rules complexity compared to Descent, though; I've never pulled the trigger on Descent because the coop play seems so spottily supported (have never heard anything definitive from someone playing the third-party options, and the first party option is tournament-only and not out yet anyway, so far as I know).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonatanrullman wrote:

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game - No miniatures but sounds interesting.

This!
And use your miniatures from Zombicide. Problem solved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting how many are voting for Galaxy Defenders, because honestly I think it looks very tacky and unappealing.
I will have to have a closer look at it.

The original print is still available at one or two retailers here in Sweden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mato Sato
Germany
Plankstadt
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mb
Galaxy Defenders.
I tried also Descent and Andor.
Galaxy Defenders is the winner of this 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having read up a bit more on Galaxy Defenders it's pretty much out.
Sounds fairly interesting but I still think it looks tacky. The major reason however is that it is failing on the very same point as Zombicide; an abundance of unobtainable promos. Will keep an eye out though, maybe in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonatanrullman wrote:
Having read up a bit more on Galaxy Defenders it's pretty much out.
Sounds fairly interesting but I still think it looks tacky. The major reason however is that it is failing on the very same point as Zombicide; an abundance of unobtainable promos. Will keep an eye out though, maybe in the future.

do you really have OCD with collecting? Else I dont see why you would turn down a game cause you cant get the KS promo's.

And not Galaxy Defenders, that game has plenty already - if you need more then buy the expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I think that at this point all viable options have come out. It is not likely that you'll find anything that really satisfies you.

I would advise you to give the D&D adventure games a try if you have the possibility. They are light but I don't think the comparisons in this thread are very fair (UNO? Please...). The figures are high quality and there is definitely a stronger storytelling element (via scenarios and event cards) than in Zombicide. For me they are among my favorite games. But then again so is Zombicide, so I might not be the best person to give you a recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mato Sato
Germany
Plankstadt
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mb
I have all the promos of the first GD kickstarter and never use them ...
For me the base game shines more without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The remainder of the first print run isn't for sale yet, but you might want to keep your ear to the ground for Machina Arcana. I agree with Markus though: pretty much everything that's similar (and some that aren't) have been mentioned. Any further and we're just going to start throwing out random co-op names like Flash Point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pouvla wrote:
do you really have OCD with collecting? Else I dont see why you would turn down a game cause you cant get the KS promo's.

And not Galaxy Defenders, that game has plenty already - if you need more then buy the expansion...

Yes. Very much so. To a certain extent.

But to be honest that's only about half of it. The other half is that promos irk me a little bit to begin with and the recent years' KS focus has really perfected the art of creating a bunch of stuff that you can't get if you aren't in on it during a 30 day window.

Only this night I remembered (when watching mage knight videos) that one game I want to get is Dungeon Lords and I stumbled across a Kickstarter for the sort of anniversary edition with 3 days left. I mean, this is a game I have had in my sights for a while and I still almost missed it.

I don't mind kickstarters being very generous a throwing in a lot of stuff or making deluxe components or special coloured dice or something. But the game content should be made available.

Because of that I fairly often boycott a game that looks good if it was on Kickstarter and the publisher did that. There's always other games available (this thread somewhat puts that theory to shame though), too bad for them. I realise that other people will buy their games though. If they're good games they certainly deserve it. But they won't get my money. A seller on eBay might get my money if they have a good deal on a set that gives me what I want. But I wouldn't go into an FRGS (there are no stores where I live) and buy their game.

End of rant.

That said. I'm incredibly grateful to everyone who has pitched in. I haven't found a direct replacement yet. Maybe I'll just keep one of my two base sets of Zombicide without any promos just for now. And with the success of Zombicide, perhaps the will come one in the future. But I have found a bunch of other games I'm dying to try out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.