Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This finishes really quick, which I love. I haven't even started on the expansions yet, which I own. I was wondering if anyone has given up 1 starting fence for both players to make the game 2 rounds longer?

That sounds like a natural "expansion" idea, I'm surprised they didn't include it. 1 extra yellow fence would've been nice. Does adding 2 rounds break the game?

Once I start playing with expansions that may become very tempting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't break the game, it just makes it longer. The game is designed to be incredibly tight. If you make it longer, you just end up with more stuff. If you want to do that, you can, but it's not the same and is more forgiving of wasted actions. I'd suggest just playing again and getting better in the time allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
You often run out of real estate by the last round as it is. This would make getting the odd land expansion overly important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
It doesn't break the game, it just makes it longer. The game is designed to be incredibly tight. If you make it longer, you just end up with more stuff. If you want to do that, you can, but it's not the same and is more forgiving of wasted actions. I'd suggest just playing again and getting better in the time allowed.
Thanks for this advice. I will stick with the original game length, as that is still enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would totally agree that the beauty of the small Agricola game lies in its short playing time. Its a 2 hours games decisions in a 30 minutes game. Never encountered anything else that comes even close this game at delivering so much in so short a time.

If - on the other hand - you want a longer game where you can build lots of stuff and actually enjoy what you built, Rivals for Catan (or the old Catan Card Game) would be an excellent choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this with my girlfriend last night and we were both surprised at how quickly it was over. I thought of this very idea to add a little more building time to our game.

Doesn't sound like anyone else feels the same though. Maybe we'll give it a shot none the less, might suit our style better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Played this with my girlfriend last night and we were both surprised at how quickly it was over. I thought of this very idea to add a little more building time to our game.

Doesn't sound like anyone else feels the same though. Maybe we'll give it a shot none the less, might suit our style better.

I have played 4 more times with the expansion and more experienced players. We've had higher scores in the 40s and 50 (as opposed to 20s and 30s with first time players).

I would say the expansion is a must-have. We use all the special buildings and all but the 5th farm expansion. Having more reasons to buy cheap buildings frees up resources and animals, and reduces the strain on fencing. We are accomplishing more and planning more dramatic moves for end game. So I guess we are content.

Every good game should have that wanting more desire, so that is normal but somewhat unexpected in such a short-heavy game. I totally support bending the game and adding 2 rounds. As long as you are having fun and playing fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
We accidentally added one, possibly two rounds tonight, playing w/the 2nd expansion. We think we forgot to add one of the round tracker fences and maybe twice. Final score was record-breaker for both of us (61-59), we had played ~10 games previously.
We were running out of all the animeeples towards the end, the quantity is obviously geared to 8 rounds. But if you don't mind keeping track w/pen & paper or have extras. But, it seems very fine-tuned and developed for 8 rounds, some of the tension seemed gone towards the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.