Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! And Good Evening Everyone!

I need some help deciding which game to buy of these 3.

-Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia
-Trajan
-Russian Railroads

My usual partner in crime is my GF but, every saturday we meet up with a group which is not very knowledgeable about eurogames. So most likely we will be playing this as a 2p mostly and sometimes even up to 4. We (me and gf) really like all kind of board games being euro or Ameri, but here favorite games are : The Castles of Burgundy (she loves that game), Kingsburg and Warhammer: Invasion. I don't really have a favorite game the thing closes to my favorite game is Runewarsbut I love worker placement so I really enjoy Agricola, Le Havre(she doesn't like this one), Brugesand many other that I have on my collection. IF I could, I would get them all but I just have $50.

Your feedback is really appreciated . Thank You.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were hard-core eurogamers, I'd recommend Russian Railroads. As you're not and enjoy Runewars, I think you'll find it rather dry. It's a well-executed resource conversion euro with limited theme and player interaction, which encourages discussion (on BGG) of optimum strategies, etc.

Trajan has a neat mancala. If you're planning to play this game five times and then get a new game, it's fine. After about five plays, the novelty of the mancala wears off and you're left with dry point optimising from dull mini-games.

My recommendation is Euphoria. It has a strong theme, it feels like a race, and there's lots of tension from the dice-rolling. You can lose workers if you have too many and roll too high (they realise they're in a dystopia and run away). Theme-wise, the game allows some strange and horrid things to happen. For example, my husband got a small business going selling his workers to a cannibal and then selling the *food* generated to the Canteen of Nameless Meat. We've played it quite a few times and I don't see myself getting too bored anytime soon because of you're not just solving a puzzle - you're racing other people. Euphoria is also a beautiful game with high production values.

I've played all of these games two-player only.

It's worth mentioning that I love Castles of Burgundy and we've played it about ten times. And I've played Bruges six times, I think, and I like that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veemonroe wrote:
If you were hard-core eurogamers, I'd recommend Russian Railroads. As you're not and enjoy Runewars, I think you'll find it rather dry. It's a well-executed resource conversion euro with limited theme and player interaction, which encourages discussion (on BGG) of optimum strategies, etc.

Trajan has a neat mancala. If you're planning to play this game five times and then get a new game, it's fine. After about five plays, the novelty of the mancala wears off and you're left with dry point optimising from dull mini-games.

My recommendation is Euphoria. It has a strong theme, it feels like a race, and there's lots of tension from the dice-rolling. You can lose workers if you have too many and roll too high (they realise they're in a dystopia and run away). Theme-wise, the game allows some strange and horrid things to happen. For example, my husband got a small business going selling his workers to a cannibal and then selling the *food* generated to the Canteen of Nameless Meat. We've played it quite a few times and I don't see myself getting too bored anytime soon because of you're not just solving a puzzle - you're racing other people. Euphoria is also a beautiful game with high production values.

I've played all of these games two-player only.

It's worth mentioning that I love Castles of Burgundy and we've played it about ten times. And I've played Bruges six times, I think, and I like that too.

It is not that I prefer Theme over mechanics and Russian Railroads was the one I was most incline to get. Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia seems like a really good game!

Thank You!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bliciant wrote:
Hello! And Good Evening Everyone!

I need some help deciding which game to buy of these 3.

-Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia
-Trajan
-Russian Railroads

My usual partner in crime is my GF but, every saturday we meet up with a group which is not very knowledgeable about eurogames. So most likely we will be playing this as a 2p mostly and sometimes even up to 4. We (me and gf) really like all kind of board games being euro or Ameri, but here favorite games are : The Castles of Burgundy (she loves that game), Kingsburg and Warhammer: Invasion. I don't really have a favorite game the thing closes to my favorite game is Runewarsbut I love worker placement so I really enjoy Agricola, Le Havre(she doesn't like this one), Brugesand many other that I have on my collection. IF I could, I would get them all but I just have $50.

Your feedback is really appreciated . Thank You.

I'm going to be that guy, if she likes CoB & Kingsburg, you should check out Alien Frontiers. If you think you'd like it, grab it quick because this print runs already sold out, so what's left on store's shelves are it! (Until the next KS & print run at least)

Otherwise I vote Euphoria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samish Harmon
United States
Nehalem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love all three! but... everyone we show it to, eurogamer or not, frankly gamer or not, is fascinated by and wants to try Euphoria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the 3 I haven't p layer Russian Railroads yet (although I just bought it). The other two are excellent. If you're looking to get other people interested in euros, I suggest Euphoria. The bumping mechanism makes for a little nicer, less frustrating experience for non-Euro gamers in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thank you everyone! I'm going to get euphoria!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.