19 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: New dice pack released? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Dices [+] [View All]
Matt W
msg tools
mb
I was browsing around on eBay when I found this. Looks like we're finally getting a proper dice pack. Does anyone know when retail stores will carry this? I can't seem to find any official news/release date for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard rumors they were out but... none of the stores around here have them yet. Hopefully they'll get here very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw them in a game store in Columbia, MO on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alton Todd
United States
Ramona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been out in SoCal San Diego FLGS for over a week now. Sharper edges and not as round as the original sets in the first starter sets. I got two packs of five red and five greens in each pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I took this photo of dice from my collection, including the new dice from the dice pack.

Lower left: Borg Collective OP 1 Counter Attack Dice.
Upper Left: Self-made Elite Defense Die from a suggestion by Mr. Tricorder in this thread.
Defense Dice from: Dice Pack, "later" core set, "earlier" core set.
Attack Dice from: Dice Pack, "later" core set, "earlier" core set.
Right: Dominion War OP1 Elite Attack Dice

The yellow faces on the core set dice are ones I marked using a yellow Sharpie so I know which are mine at OP events.

I think the very best dice are those found in what I call the "later" core set. They come from a set I purchased in July 2014. They are a tiny bit larger, sharper, and have very clear symbols.

The Dice Pack dice have fairly sharp edges—sharper than the core sets—but the symbols are a bit indistinct and slightly smaller than the others.

The dice from what I call the "early" core set (purchased in September and November, 2013), have rounded edges though the symbols are clear enough.

The Elite Attack Die from the Dominion War OP has round edges like the early core sets and also large and slightly over-inked faces.

The Counter Attack Die has rounded edges and over-inked symbols as well. But their placement on the faces is rather poor. Of all the dice, these are the least aesthetically pleasing, though I'm still glad to have them.

My fan-made "Elite Defense Die" are clearly smaller with marked-in faces. I've never used these, though I like the idea of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder when they will reach the UK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thot Prad wrote:
I was browsing around on eBay when I found this. Looks like we're finally getting a proper dice pack. Does anyone know when retail stores will carry this? I can't seem to find any official news/release date for it.

Retail on that dice pack is $10. The local store here has had them for just about a week now. They actually seem to be better quality than the starter dice. We were arguing that they are actually a little heavier too. They symbols may be smaller but they have better edges and no paint blobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw them as a pre order on Cool Stuff Inc for about 7 bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a couple of the Counter Attack dice, and they're ugly as hell. Boo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alton Todd
United States
Ramona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
...they're ugly as hell.

You sir are being too kind. "Ugly as hell" doesn't begin to describe the counter attack die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like or hate the color of the Counterattack die, at least its produced at a much higher quality than the Elite Attack Die or the original starter dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The newer dice seem to have a much better paint job as well. I have yet to see any of the new ones with random splotches of paint on them or hit/crit icons completely missing paint like there were on some of the original starter set ones. Have yet to have any of the new dice chip and lose paint on the icons either like the old ones were prone to doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Carlisle
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spiney_Norman wrote:
I wonder when they will reach the UK

Chaos Cards are offering them for pre-order (I've ordered two sets) but release date is unclear.

No-one else is even listing them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jagerfox wrote:
Magentawolf wrote:
...they're ugly as hell.

You sir are being too kind. "Ugly as hell" doesn't begin to describe the counter attack die.

I think they thought reversing the colors of the elite attack dice would be "cool". Instead it is the die equivalent of those first gaudy internet pages with the blinking black text on the bright magenta background, complete with the animated fire gifs that have nothing to do with the content and are just there for bling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
Magentawolf wrote:
I've got a couple of the Counter Attack dice, and they're ugly as hell. Boo.

Could always repaint them. Unless your opponent would consider it "modifying the dice" and render them unusable.

I wish they would have included an elite attack die and counterattack die in this pack. I can't justify spending $10 for a single die on eBay, and I don't see how else I'm going to acquire them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Y'all are crazy. You're okay with nacreous green and red, but translucent gold is just beyond the pale?

Dice are supposed to be kind of gaudy. Elite dice doubly so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I kind of like the Counter Attack die. And it is a much higher quality than the Elite Attack Die. My EAD looks like it was painted in the dark by a drunk with a too large brush. More like a pan and a roller...

The new retail dice are better quality too. Sharper lines and I would swear they are a little heavier too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ex8404 wrote:
I kind of like the Counter Attack die. And it is a much higher quality than the Elite Attack Die. My EAD looks like it was painted in the dark by a drunk with a too large brush. More like a pan and a roller...

The new retail dice are better quality too. Sharper lines and I would swear they are a little heavier too.

Yeah, that's why I like the Counter Attack Die. Its just objectively better produced than the originals or the Elite Attack Die. Color is an aesthetic so that's personal taste, but it is well made. Personally I do like the color myself though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nima Ghaemi
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi BradyLS,

I don't suppose you'd be willing to make a few Elite Defense Dice and sell them (say 5 of them)?

I'd even just buy the one if that's all you're willing to sell. Would love to have that and add it to the game (typically play variants of the basic rules as I find them bland, so this would be cool to have)

Let me know and Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.