Subject: More of Ancients or end of line? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sven Christmas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any future plans for CCA out there? Not reprints but new products. I'm wondering if the series is perhaps canceled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have six expansions in the Ancients line. I think that's a lot, but I imagine there is enough history in the Classical Age to provide material for at least several more.

I wouldn't mind seeing new scenario packs that focus on different wars or campaigns using the materials we already have. Not sure about the necessity for more blocks. Personally, I'd rather see more progress on C&C Napoleonics.

...And things do come to end, you know. At least for a while!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
I...zombieneed...zombiesome...zombieBYZANTINE ERA expansion set!!!....zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it noted in several places (do some searches in the forums) that Borg has rules and scenarios for several other expansions ready, it's just a matter of GMT green-lighting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Imperial expansion pieces wise were good up to Adrianople. So perhaps they could do something like a scenario/campaign book to cover the battles up to that point. Of course this would still require a lot of play testing. I think Richard has mentioned various possibilities, Byzantine and Biblical being among them. Memoir just released an expansion so he was no doubt involved in that but perhaps is free now.

While it has been a while the fact that GMT are working on reprinting the out of print stuff shows that they are not letting the series die in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

While it has been a while the fact that GMT are working on reprinting the out of print stuff shows that they are not letting the series die in my opinion.

Yeah, that's the key here, this is one of their best selling series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I am holding out for a Warring States era Chinese expansion. Without much hope, it has to be said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Briggs
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not just Richard Borg and GMT who will determine if the series dies or not. As long as people keep playing CCA and talking about it, it will remain alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brigz wrote:
It's not just Richard Borg and GMT who will determine if the series dies or not. As long as people keep playing CCA and talking about it, it will remain alive.

Yeah, there is a lot of fan activity for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Borg
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Commands & Colors Ancients is far from its last leg.

Players will have plenty to look forward to in the not so distant future.
Of course GMT has a lot to say in regard to how soon and just what road will be traveled.

The poor guys at GMT (and there are not that many) have Napoleonics, Ancients and some other new items to consider to add to their large library of games.

Richard Borg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richard borg wrote:

Of course GMT has a lot to say in regard to how soon and just what road will be traveled.

The poor guys at GMT (and there are not that many) have Napoleonics, Ancients and some other new items to consider to add to their large library of games.

Richard Borg

Thank you! Your C & C system has brought me (and my family) countless hours of joy, fun and knowledge of history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
richard borg wrote:

Richard Borg

Whatever it is Ancients wise, its an insta-buy for a lot of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
richard borg wrote:

Richard Borg

Whatever it is Ancients wise, its an insta-buy for a lot of us.

Agreed. I think this is the best iteration of the entire system. It seems so well suited for Ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Colling
United States
VICTOR
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The BORG games....Resistance is FUTILE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and I m still waiting for the #5...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:

Agreed. I think this is the best iteration of the entire system. It seems so well suited for Ancients.

I am curious which one has sold better, Ancients or Napoleonics (I'm sure M44 has both beat atm, but WWII games always do very well).

I agree that Ancients fits the CC system best of all, the Ancients games tend to play the "smoothest" of any of the "advanced" CC games, but for some reason, I play Napoleonics about 4-5 times as often as Ancients, and I do not think it is the subject matter (I find both equally fascinating). Despite CCN feeling a little "clunkier" than CCA (and that is a relative term, all CC games are very smooth compared to most wargames), something in Napoleonics just makes it seem more compelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:

...something in Napoleonics just makes it seem more compelling.

Much more terrain and thus more tactical options?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mk20336 wrote:
atsgamer wrote:

...something in Napoleonics just makes it seem more compelling.

Much more terrain and thus more tactical options?

In Ancients, a particular type of unit fights the same way always regardless of state or period. The variations in the armies are in their composition and that gives each a unique feel: trying to propel a large infantry force forward or managing hit and fades with a largely mounted army.

In Napoleonics, you have that and more. A particular sort of troop type (Light Infantry, for example) might have many national variations on the number of blocks, how its bonus die breaks (round up or down when halving, for instance), whether moving has any other effects...

I love 'em all. I think Ancients and Napoleonics do the best of having players feel like they're trying to manage a battle. I think the C&C system is at its best when modeling linear warfare and Ancients and Napoleonics are at the extreme ends of that form of warfare. Others will probably disagree, but no argument from me if you're having fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar 10101
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
On my wishlist:

All existing Scenarios in card format (double tarot?)
For each unit and terrain type the data in standard card format

Similar to Battlelore 2 and/or Memoir 44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
I would like to see the series move to the medieval era as well. This is my favorite period. There are so many time periods this system could cover. What an excellent system.

Battles of Westeros?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
Is there much of a fantasy element in this series?
BattleLore does it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.