Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has eight tokens devoted to the Harbor, so you would think that it is important. However, it is strictly more expensive than the 1 VP structures and someone buying it is likely to be able to afford one of the other 2VP structures. The likely outcome of purchasing it is that on the next turn you will get to purchase a worker, so you've spent $1 more than the Village to get one fewer VPs and a delayed worker benefit (that the opponent can't mess with). However, there probably aren't many turns left in the game.

If you could luck into the Harbor really early then the benefits would stack up, but that doesn't seem to be too likely.

The best use I managed to make of the Harbor was to buy a worker so that I would win the tie breaker. If I hadn't needed to use the Lender token that turn then I would have had a much better use for $3 to get my 2VP back. (Actually, that game I didn't use the Lender until my last turn since my opponent never wanted to take it from me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you use it enough times, it can be. You could have a lot more workers than the opposing player (esp. if you buy them all before the other player), which means you gain money and labour much quicker. And/or you could get that extra bit of money or labour you need to push you over the limit to buy a new building.

Plus it's another building. It's always worth being the first to build a building. Saying that though, it may not always be worth building it if you're not the first to do so; you may not have enough need to use it vs saving your money to buy other stuff. It's just one of the strategies you could go for, so although it can be useful, it's not a game-breaker if you don't have access to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Kleihege
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
My experience is that the earlier you can get the Harbor, the better off you will be. Also, if your opponent has already built the Harbor it would probably be in your best interest to not bother. Without the VP award included, the harbor is usually not worth it. Build another building to get the VP award rather than a harbor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.