Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Bureaucracy vs imperial 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Hi guys,

So my group is getting together to play our annual ti3 game and I want to use the SE SC's. I also want to use AoE and the imperial2 card instead of Bureaucracy.

Now, the rules say not to do this but Im not sure why. After some searching it seems like the biggest obstacle is that not enough political/ action cards are available if you do what I am proposing. Has anyone house ruled a way to make this work?

Im thinking why not just combine the secondary of B to ISC 2, so anyone can activate it for the political/ action card except for the active player and the active player doesnt block the use of the secondary with option b of the primary ability.

Thoughts or advice on how to use the SE SC's with AoE and ISC2 much appreciated.

Roger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Allen
Australia
TERALBA
NSW
flag msg tools
The space left intentionally blank
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial II is supposed to be played with AoE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
some_guy wrote:

Yeah, but it says in the rules you cant use those 2 things along with SE SC's....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
some_guy wrote:

Yeah, but it says in the rules you cant use those 2 things along with SE SC's....

Where does it say that? While it's true that Bureaucracy doesn't really work well with Age of Empire, I didn't see any specific reference to "can't use it".

However, in the "Option 1: The Variant Imperial Strategy Card" section on page 9, it specifically says you MUST use "Age of Empire" with Imperial II.

One thing to note, however. The 1-3-4-8 cards are meant to be used as a "set". The 2-5-6-7 cards are "mix-and-match".

IE, if you want to use Imperial II, you must also use the #1, #3, and #4 cards from the base set (Initiative, Political, and Logistics). You cannot use Leadership, Assembly, and Production with Imperial II (without making house rules). The Imperial II card is for when you want to use the original set of 1-3-4-8 cards, but want to use the modified Imperial card instead of the original. If you use Imperial II, you must also use Age of Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
like I said, I want to use the SE cards with Imp2 and AoE, and someone sent me the Imp Beau card so thanks for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Allen
Australia
TERALBA
NSW
flag msg tools
The space left intentionally blank
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
like I said, I want to use the SE cards with Imp2 and AoE...

.. and there's no reason why you can't...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
some_guy wrote:
Lowecore wrote:
like I said, I want to use the SE cards with Imp2 and AoE...

.. and there's no reason why you can't...

If you are willing to use house rules, at least

I thought originally that the OP was asking for official ways to do this, and there are none. But there are house rules and unofficial variants to allow it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Irving
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played with Imperial 2 and only Shattered Empires strategy cards, I thought that it was fine. I would be wary of playing Imperial 2, Production, and Warfare all together. I also *really* like Bureaucracy and if you haven't played with it I suggest you try it.

I'm not sure if your proposed new card still allies the person executing the primary ability to build without activation. Bbuilding without activation is usually better than gaining a political card and an action card, so you are changing how desirable the card is. Still, seems okay. I don't like house rules that contradict the text on game components because of implementation issues.

This looks like a variant you might be interested in http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/757071/red-tape-bureaucracy

I have never used it, so I can't comment on how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
KalKraken wrote:
I have played with Imperial 2 and only Shattered Empires strategy cards, I thought that it was fine. I would be wary of playing Imperial 2, Production, and Warfare all together. I also *really* like Bureaucracy and if you haven't played with it I suggest you try it.

I'm not sure if your proposed new card still allies the person executing the primary ability to build without activation. Bbuilding without activation is usually better than gaining a political card and an action card, so you are changing how desirable the card is. Still, seems okay. I don't like house rules that contradict the text on game components because of implementation issues.

This looks like a variant you might be interested in http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/757071/red-tape-bureaucracy

I have never used it, so I can't comment on how it plays.

Hi, thank you for the helpful reply. Yes, we havent played with bureaucracy and it isnt so much I dont like that card, it is more I like the 1vp given for holding rex with Imp2.

here is the Imperial Bureaucracy card, tell me what you think.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/86272/imperial-bureaucracy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
Denmark
flag msg tools
Has anyone tried to play imperial II without age of empire? Or should you just go for the official variant of impperial I(1 vp instead of 2). I like the idea of not knowing when the game ends, but i see the problems with imperial I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonesRoman wrote:
Has anyone tried to play imperial II without age of empire? Or should you just go for the official variant of impperial I(1 vp instead of 2). I like the idea of not knowing when the game ends, but i see the problems with imperial I.

You could probably do it pretty easily, just turn over an objective at the end of each round during the Status Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shezmaine
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Our first game started with Imperial 2 but without me noticing that it meant we needed Age of Empire.

What happened was that there were only a couple of objective cards, but no mechanic for drawing more objectives. Which quickly became obviously flawed, hence a rapid switch to Age of Empire and the game continued.

Ironically, no-one got to 10 VPs. I should have had it in the bag but Mecatol was snatched from me before I could activate the card, which left me floundering with 9 VPs and needing several turns to rebuild my invasion fleet and get Rex back, but only 2 turns left on the track. 2 Other players then also made it to 9 and then the game ended.

Not entirely satisfactory either way, but they gave me the win as I had the most planets (by far).

So unless I'm missing something, you just can't use Imperial 2 without Age of Empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shezmaine wrote:

So unless I'm missing something, you just can't use Imperial 2 without Age of Empire.

Nope, not missing anything Strictly speaking, you need to use Age of Empire.

But as mentioned above, you can easily rectify it otherwise by just drawing a new objective each round instead to emulate what Bureaucracy/Imperial I do, if you don't like the Age of Empire "all objectives are revealed from the start" approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.