Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Is buying always this difficult? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rog B
United Kingdom
Manchester
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmb
Im relatively new to this hobby. Ive been a video gamer all my life but recently i've become apathetic to the current range of tired AAA sequels and decided that i need to move away from digital and become more 'analogue'

I've been searching for things on BGG that would be ideal for me and my partner and maybe even the kids to play. The rating system seems great, and geeklists are very handy for finding similar games, but im constantly running into one problem....

OUT OF PRINT
OUT OF STOCK

Now im used to doing some research, jumping on Amazon and saying 'i'll take one of those, good sir', but over the past week I've hit so many stumbling blocks that im surprised that anyone can find anything these days.

just an example of the things i've decided to buy recently (thanks to BGG) but havent been able to!!

Sushi Go - reprinted but out of stock
Machi Koro - out of stock
Marvel Dice Masters - out of stock
Splendor - out of stock
zooloretto mini - out of print, reprint soon.

Out of those I did manage to get Sushi Go (great game btw!) by signing up for a reserved stock from one online distributor.
am i just particularly unlucky in these choices or it this the normal way of things?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are all extremely popular games right now which is why they are out of print. They will be back just have to be patient.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Not an uncommon experience. Print runs in this industry are small (2000 - 5000 copies), and most games (there are now thousands being published each year) never get more than a single print run.

Which just feeds into the cult of the new, because if you miss a good game you might never get another chance, so you've gotta get 'em all as they come out...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Raguan
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmb
I recently heard that there's an economic reason for the small print runs in the board game industry. It has something to do with the storage costs. I guess if you're publishing a book and you end up with 1,000 spare copies, they're easier to store than 1,000 copies of a board game. Not only in re: to actual storage (warehouses or whatnot), retailers will also agree to hold less copies of a board game than a book.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing your gaming preferences, I'll recommend my favorite game and tell you to check out my review of Alien Frontiers and if if you like what you read, grab a copy quick as what's left on store's shelves are it (until the next reprint in a year or so). As of this writing they still had copies on amazon.com for $60 with free shipping. Good Luck!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xgamerms999 wrote:
Without knowing your gaming preferences, I'll recommend my favorite game and tell you to check out my review of Alien Frontiers and if if you like what you read, grab a copy quick as what's left on store's shelves are it (until the next reprint in a year or so). As of this writing they still had copies on amazon.com for $60 with free shipping. Good Luck!



+1
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Try coolstuffinc.com. if you make an account, you can be notified any time something out of stock becomes available. As a publisher and buyer of games, they've always been excellent in service.

And if you buy $100 worth of games, shipping is free. That's how they get me lol.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah you picked THE games currently. And of the future. Machi Koro isn't even out yet in English anywhere, so that's specifically an exception. Dice Masters has been HUGE, so sold out globally twice since release. Splendor is a current hotness (but is pretty bland imho).... You just picked unlucky!

krakengames wrote:
Try coolstuffinc.com. if you make an account, you can be notified any time something out of stock becomes available. As a publisher and buyer of games, they've always been excellent in service.

And if you buy $100 worth of games, shipping is free. That's how they get me lol.
If he lived in the USA of States I'm sure he'd already be there.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Yeah you picked THE games currently. And of the future. Machi Koro isn't even out yet in English anywhere, so that's specifically an exception. Dice Masters has been HUGE, so sold out globally twice since release. Splendor is a current hotness (but is pretty bland imho).... You just picked unlucky!

krakengames wrote:
Try coolstuffinc.com. if you make an account, you can be notified any time something out of stock becomes available. As a publisher and buyer of games, they've always been excellent in service.

And if you buy $100 worth of games, shipping is free. That's how they get me lol.
If he lived in the USA of States I'm sure he'd already be there.


I was about to say that.

I would also say that specialist retailers are the way to go all the time - the OP ought to read the UK online retailers thread.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Dice Masters has been HUGE, so sold out globally twice since release.


Has to be purely because of the IP. I played and thought it was absolute dreck. Easily the worst game of 2014.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Which just feeds into the cult of the new, because if you miss a good game you might never get another chance, so you've gotta get 'em all as they come out...


Games that sell well get reprints.

As for the OP: Board game printing does have a long lead time. Even when a game is popular it often takes months to get it back on the shelves. Publishers will play it safe and be sure that demand is truly there before ordering another 5000 copies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:
Easily the worst game of 2014.
Hmm, confused. Is this the point where I don't pay any attention to you or give you geek gold for a great joke? Clearly there are going to be hundreds of worse games. Much hyperbole!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Krawhitham wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
Which just feeds into the cult of the new, because if you miss a good game you might never get another chance, so you've gotta get 'em all as they come out...


Games that sell well get reprints.

As for the OP: Board game printing does have a long lead time. Even when a game is popular it often takes months to get it back on the shelves. Publishers will play it safe and be sure that demand is truly there before ordering another 5000 copies.
yes, and that's 5000 copies. Not 500,000 etc... these things are done in pretty small numbers when put in a genuinely global context.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverse your process. First, look on the online stores and find out some games that are currently available. Then come to BGG and see if they are any good.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a game like Splendor that is pretty much completely language independent, you might be able to find it available in different language and download the English rules.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Explosive 6
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
As others have said Machi Koro isn't out yet (in the UK). It's on pre-order through the distributor and I should be getting it in stock in September (which is the listed release date).

You can sign up for a pre-order so you don't miss out through myself, another online store or contact your local gaming shop if you have one. Like the others you have listed I expect Machi Koro to be a sell out.

Jon
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rog B
United Kingdom
Manchester
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmb
it definitely looks like i've picked the most awkward to find games around right now. Typical!

pfctsqr wrote:
Reverse your process. First, look on the online stores and find out some games that are currently available. Then come to BGG and see if they are any good.


This is probably a better plan going ahead, if availability is frequently an issue it makes more sense this way.

Tineren wrote:
For a game like Splendor that is pretty much completely language independent, you might be able to find it available in different language and download the English rules.


ahaa good idea, hadn't thought of that!

andyl wrote:

I would also say that specialist retailers are the way to go all the time - the OP ought to read the UK online retailers thread.


thanks for that!
i was aware of a few of them - ive been browsing a couple recently, but do you find that browsing them is a bit.... cluttered? pages and pages of categories!
Its great if you know what you are looking for and just do a keyword search, but a casual browse is a bit confusing. This is where the 'FLGS' comes in I guess.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect some of the pleasure of game buying for me is tracking down rare OOP games blush

I'm a 'cult-of-the-new-to-me' person and tend to prefer games that are pre-2000 and older I've just secured a copy of Um Reifenbreite, an award-winning bike racing game from 1979 that has no English edition. So I've printed an Artscow English translation of the event cards laugh

Seriously though, games come in and out of stock, and have very small print runs. If something is new, popular, and not in stock, you might need to wait a little while.

Alternatively, try to score a trade or buy a second-hand copy. Many of my games are second-hand (e.g. my recent buy of Fair Means or Foul) and are in like-new to perfectly-playable condition.

If you want to research games, I tend to use BGG and only go to a retailer once I've ID'd a game I'm already interested in. I never buy a game based on the cover or box art.

Given you're in the UK, I've had a lot of success with amazon.de. You can check on BGG whether a game is language independent and the English rules are usually available to print from BGG. I've also used several international online retailers, such as Ludibay. Lautapelit.fr (Finland) deliver faster than some UK retailers. I have a lovely Scandinavian edition of Modern Art.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also look at games that at least have been out a year so there will be less restock issues. It seems any new hot game takes two print runs before supply and demand start to balance out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
bobcatpoet wrote:
Easily the worst game of 2014.
Hmm, confused. Is this the point where I don't pay any attention to you or give you geek gold for a great joke? Clearly there are going to be hundreds of worse games. Much hyperbole!


You would think it would be easy to understand how a person's opinion works. To me, this is the worst game of 2014. I have not played a worse one. I rated it a 2.1. If there are hundreds of game this year alone I would rate worse... holy crap.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RogB wrote:
Im relatively new to this hobby. Ive been a video gamer all my life but recently i've become apathetic to the current range of tired AAA sequels and decided that i need to move away from digital and become more 'analogue'

I've been searching for things on BGG that would be ideal for me and my partner and maybe even the kids to play. The rating system seems great, and geeklists are very handy for finding similar games, but im constantly running into one problem....

OUT OF PRINT
OUT OF STOCK

Now im used to doing some research, jumping on Amazon and saying 'i'll take one of those, good sir', but over the past week I've hit so many stumbling blocks that im surprised that anyone can find anything these days.

just an example of the things i've decided to buy recently (thanks to BGG) but havent been able to!!

Sushi Go - reprinted but out of stock
Machi Koro - out of stock
Marvel Dice Masters - out of stock
Splendor - out of stock
zooloretto mini - out of print, reprint soon.

Out of those I did manage to get Sushi Go (great game btw!) by signing up for a reserved stock from one online distributor.
am i just particularly unlucky in these choices or it this the normal way of things?

When is Sushi Go! supposed to be available again in your area?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am from Taiwan.
badge
This is my wife.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised by the lack of stock for Splendor!
I mean that game has so much SDJ buzz and even though they didn't win it I am sure a lot of family gamers are like me are going to pick it up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
I am surprised by the lack of stock for Splendor!
I mean that game has so much SDJ buzz and even though they didn't win it I am sure a lot of family gamers are like me are going to pick it up.


Well, CSI just got restocked.


OOPS. Just checked. Out of stock AGAIN.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
I am surprised by the lack of stock for Splendor!
I mean that game has so much SDJ buzz and even though they didn't win it I am sure a lot of family gamers are like me are going to pick it up.


The SDJ Buzz is the very reason why there is no stock. People did go out and buy it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Reverse your process. First, look on the online stores and find out some games that are currently available and on sale. Then come to BGG and see if they are any good.


Fixed. Guilty.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.