Splendor» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is it legal ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Last
msg tools
mb
Hello,
if I have 10 tokens at the beginning of my turn & I took 2 token from the same color to have at the end 12 token , now I need to reduce it to 10 by returning 2 token .

Is it legal to return more than 2 tokens , lets say because I have some color of gem tokens I don't need for now & to make space for the gems token i need with in the 10 limit token rule ?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think it is legal to take two when you already have 12.

I dont think you ever return them, you can just only take until you have 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
The rule is that you cannot have more than 10 tokens at the end of your turn.

If you have 10 tokens, you can take more, then you discard (your choice) down to 10.

There is no need to discard more than necessary to "make space" for next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kouris
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:

Wrong. From the rulebook (in French):
"Un joueur ne peut jamais posséder plus de 10 jetons à la fin de son tour (joker compris). Si c'est le cas, il doit en rendre pour n'en avoir que 10. Il peut parfaitement remettre tout ou partie de ceux qu'il vient de piocher."

A player can never own more than 10 tokens at the end of his turn (including joker). If it happens, he has to give back tokens so that he owns 10 tokens. He can give back part or all the tokens he took.

To go back to the first question. It's pointless to give back more tokens than needed. You can give them back on the next turn if needed and, by keeping them for now, you're blocking other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Last
msg tools
mb
Thank you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Goard
South Korea
flag msg tools
mb
I believe there's a rare possibility where it wouldn't be pointless to return down to fewer than ten, namely when the opponent after you would clearly like to do something requiring the gem(s) in question, and their Plan B would be painful for you. Maybe they want gems for their big reserved card, but will otherwise build the cheap card of the color you need. Maybe they need exactly one more of a color, would prefer to take three chips, but will reserve and take the last gold (which you need) otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Miller
United States
Hoover
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gojaejin wrote:
I believe there's a rare possibility where it wouldn't be pointless to return down to fewer than ten, namely when the opponent after you would clearly like to do something requiring the gem(s) in question, and their Plan B would be painful for you. Maybe they want gems for their big reserved card, but will otherwise build the cheap card of the color you need. Maybe they need exactly one more of a color, would prefer to take three chips, but will reserve and take the last gold (which you need) otherwise.

Regardless, I think it is against the spirit of the game to voluntarily return additional tokens beyond what the hand limit states.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Polkowski
Poland
Warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
styren wrote:
Muemmelmann wrote:

Wrong. From the rulebook (in French):
"Un joueur ne peut jamais posséder plus de 10 jetons à la fin de son tour (joker compris). Si c'est le cas, il doit en rendre pour n'en avoir que 10. Il peut parfaitement remettre tout ou partie de ceux qu'il vient de piocher."

A player can never own more than 10 tokens at the end of his turn (including joker). If it happens, he has to give back tokens so that he owns 10 tokens. He can give back part or all the tokens he took.

Well, it is quite obvious to me that this means the player can return ONLY from among the tokens he just took - which pretty much means he can't go over 10 while taking them (i.e. one CAN NOT exchange some of the tokens he posseses with the new tokens).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I disagree.

That statement says what a player can do. It doesn't say what a player can't do.

You can return whatever tokens you like - tokens you already had, tokens you just took, or any combination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can return whatever you like...as long as you have 10 or less chips at the end of your turn.

As in returning more than needed...you may want to give the next player the chips he needs to get a card that can block someone else from winning and ending the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
msg tools
mbmbmb
KubaP wrote:
styren wrote:
Muemmelmann wrote:

Well, it is quite obvious to me that this means the player can return ONLY from among the tokens he just took - which pretty much means he can't go over 10 while taking them (i.e. one CAN NOT exchange some of the tokens he posseses with the new tokens).

SteveK2 wrote:
I disagree.

That statement says what a player can do. It doesn't say what a player can't do.

You can return whatever tokens you like - tokens you already had, tokens you just took, or any combination.

This is the rule my gaming group is divided on.

If I got 10 tokens, and 2 of them are RED which I don't want anymore, can I pick up 2 BLUE and then immediately discard the 2 RED at the end of my turn (essentially swapping the RED out for the BLUE)??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you can
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beemanbone wrote:
This is the rule my gaming group is divided on.

If I got 10 tokens, and 2 of them are RED which I don't want anymore, can I pick up 2 BLUE and then immediately discard the 2 RED at the end of my turn (essentially swapping the RED out for the BLUE)??

andy.rice@att.net wrote:
Yep, you can

The only caveat is that there must be 4 or more BLUE chips in the stack, but otherwise it's a valid play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.