Subject: [Deck Idea] Atman PhD rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: kroen_GOLD [+] [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the other thread, I decided to construct a non-silver bullet Professor deck. This was the result:

Identity:
The Professor: Keeper of Knowledge (Creation and Control)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (9)
3x Diesel (Core)
1x Escher (Creation and Control)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
1x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
3x Sure Gamble (Core)

Hardware: (8)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core)

Program: (24)
1x Corroder (Core) ■■
2x Datasucker (Core) ■
1x Imp (What Lies Ahead) ■■■
1x Keyhole (True Colors) ■■■
1x Knight (Mala Tempora) ■■
1x Medium (Core) ■■■
1x Mimic (Core) ■
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus) ■■
1x Parasite (Core) ■■
1x Djinn (Core) ■■
1x Faerie (Future Proof) ■■■
1x Femme Fatale (Core) ■
1x Sneakdoor Beta (Core) ■■■
3x Atman (Creation and Control)
1x Deus X (A Study in Static)
3x Leprechaun (Upstalk)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

Resource: (4)
3x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control)
1x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 22
Criminal: 7
Shaper: 56

It basically plays like a Katman deck, exept it uses anarch multi-access tools (Medium, Nerve Agent, Keyhole) rather than RDI/Maker's Eye and Legwork. In addition, it has Corroder instead of Inti; Faerie instead of Sharpshooter; and some other tricks Katman doesn't have such as Sneakdoor and Knight.

I think I'll play with the deck this Saturday and report back. One question though: What to replace Leprechaun with?

And of course, other improvements are welcome as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the usual remove some cards and change to Kate response, I will say that you have no money in that deck, maybe if you had magnum opus or kati jones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Kamakaze wrote:
Aside from the usual remove some cards and change to Kate response, I will say that you have no money in that deck, maybe if you had magnum opus or kati jones.

This. It's way too greedy. Maybe on turn 20, when you've finished assembling and paying for your monster rig, you'll be able to do something.

There's also very little synergy between Atman and any quantity of Datasuckers less than 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't MO and PC anti synergetic? And what about Kati?

And I think 2 Datasuckers is fine, as I also have Djinn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Isn't MO and PC anti synergetic?

Nope.

I run it in my Kit and it does well. I can gain 8 a turn, or if I need to draw I am still making money.

You have only x3 Sure Gambles and x3 Pro Contacts here. By the time you get setup the game will be over. No money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
kroen wrote:
Isn't MO and PC anti synergetic?

Nope.

I run it in my Kit and it does well. I can gain 8 a turn, or if I need to draw I am still making money.

You have only x3 Sure Gambles and x3 Pro Contacts here. By the time you get setup the game will be over. No money.

Personal workshop sort of helps here, but it's still too slow and you don't have the deck space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Stand back, Kroen is innovating again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Magicdave wrote:
Stand back, Kroen is innovating again...

This isn't unique to Kroen. We've all tried to make professor work right?

Kroen - perhaps the answer to your speed and economy problems is Monolith. It saves you install clicks, cost and provides a ton of memory. You can even cut the Deus Ex you won't need any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Galdames
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling that a deck like this one could really benefit from Code Siphon. If you don't draw into your SMCs you could be in serious trouble.

Like others have stated, you're really starved for money in this deck and draw, despite 3x Diesel is rather light.

With so many different 1-ofs, Test Run seems like the biggest include possible. It let's you tutor, it let's you recur used programs (Deus X, Knight, Faerie, Imp, etc).

But again, 3 credits for a pseudo install that will (a) clog your deck and (b) not actually install a program is problematic for a deck that only boasts Sure Gamble as $$$.

I'd say choose the programs that are actually worth the proffesor's ability, then restructure economy and draw accordingly... but then again, I've never played with him so I could be talking nonsense.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about

-1 Escher
-1 Scavenge
(not sure how much mileage I'll get out of them)

+2 Kati

Edit: Diesel is more than enough draw in a deck with 3xProfessional Contacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
kroen wrote:
How about

-1 Escher
-1 Scavenge

+2 Kati

I'll bite and try and offer some actual advice: Professional Contacts should not be in your deck.

Your cards are more expensive than your ability to gain cash so as you use Pro Contacts the cards will just stack up in hand with you unable to actually play them. Pro Contacts requires you to carefully judge the aggregate cost of cards in your deck and ensure that you can actually pay for the extra cards you're drawing.

Playing with 0 copies of Modded seems crazy as Modded is perhaps the card that combos best with both Pro Contacts (two cards from your bloated hand + cash saving) and decks with loads of Programs and Hardware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
I'll second modded and just say that econ events are what really shine with prof-con. It feels like they all get a +1 bonus credit when you play them.

If you don't want prof-con, then some combination of opus/kati/armitage/casts is what you want to look at. I'm leaving it to you to decide how best to do that.

I agree with you that djinn & datasucker work fine. And with imp & parasite, sometimes fetching djinn with SMC will be the right move. I played a similar deck for a while, but I went in on freelance coding contract and draw events. I ended up pitching a lot of stuff and just playing the stuff I needed. It was interesting, but not always competitive. Occasionally you just get one of those hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
MO and PC work great together. PC when you need cards...MO when you don't.

MagicDave is 100% right though. Without other econ cards are going to build up in your hand. Personal Workshop is how my deck deals with this, but Modded actually sounds like a great idea too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
How about

-1 Escher
-1 Scavenge

+2 Kati

Kati Jones is too slow in this deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Modded doesn't work with SMC and Clone Chip. But I thik I'll do this:

-3 Professional Contacts
+3 Magnum Opus

MU shouldn't be an issue with Djinn, Lepechauns and Mem Chips. The setup time though seems staggering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
kroen wrote:
Modded doesn't work with SMC and Clone Chip. But I thik I'll do this:

-3 Professional Contacts
+3 Magnum Opus

MU shouldn't be an issue with Djinn, Lepechauns and Mem Chips. The setup time though seems staggering.

No, but you are drawing a lot of cards and it will work with those (and help you unload you hand from ProCo and Diesel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen M.
msg tools
Instead of cutting all 3 procos for opus, you could do 2 proco and 1 opus since you have SMC. another thing that might benefit you is cutting 3 sure gambles for 3 freelance coding contracts. It combos well with diesel and proco, often times giving you a larger and more instant (no 4 cred barrier) payout than sure gamble. Then, you just clone chip back whatever you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ro
msg tools
I been exploring Professor a lot recently and have thought a lot of the decisions to be made regarding Professor. Here are some of my opinions on your deck:

1. If you are going to Leprechaun, I would say Sharpshooter is worth adding to this deck to ensure its safety (it's an easier tutor than Mimic, doesn't force you to burn a Faerie and most cost efficient in protecting from trash). I also don't think you would need 3x Akamatsu Memory Chips because of the 3 Leprechauns, 6 card slots on memory is a little too invested imo, 3-4 card slots is more reasonable.

2. I think you are a bit overloaded on breakers. I run 7 total, you're Professor running 6 tutors and 3 draw cards, have an ideal breaker suite and shoot for that right away, 11 breakers is a bit too much and can help make room for more resources and events. (You could use a boost in credit economy and I agree that Pro Contacts isn't that great on Professor if you already have 6 tutors and 3 Diesels, consider Personal Workshop, Daily Casts etc.)

I think you can run without Modded in Professor, I do fine without Modded but 30 of 45 of my cards cost 2 or less credits, 5 cards cost 3 credits, the rest are above that (10 cards). It's how the whole deck is setup IMO and I built it to run very economically for easier SMC tutors and good early breaks.

I disagree with ever cutting out Sure Gamble and I also disagree in using Freelance Coding Contract (unless maybe if you stick with Pro Contacts). It forces you to burn a recursion card if you needed to use a program you ended up tossing, as Professor, I rather use them first and I find it pretty hard to find programs to trash in the first place.

I think overall you can easily boost your economy and make room for event cards by cutting down your icebreaker suite to 7-8 icebreakers total (you're an Atman deck or you're a standard Anarchy suite deck, don't try to be both) and cutting down to 3-4 Memory cards (my opinion, cut out the 3 Akatmatsu Memory Chip). Regarding Economy, if you are going with 3 Leprechauns, I would consider 1-2 Magnum Opus (and removing Pro Contacts), 3 seems like over kill and you can draw/tutor/mulligan for it. This overall should open up 6-9 and your deck could use more events to boost this deck and provide even greater flexibility. This also opens up opportunities to consider more specialized programs that can provide you with extra utility i.e. Crescentus, Copycat, Rook, Bishop etc. Hope this helps provide more focus to your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.