Chaos & Alchemy» Forums » Rules

Subject: General Questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
-How many cards come in the core game?

-How many cards come in the substances expansion?

-Apart from the apprentices expansion, which I am not interested in,
are there further ideas for more expansions beyond that?

-Does the 'Magnum Opus' card come in the purchase material going to stores, or will it remain Kickstarter only? Will it come with the standard material?

-What is the advantage to the 'Magnum Opus card'? If it is in fact THE philosopher's stone, wouldn't it just immediately win the game (or allow one to skip to the King's demonstration)?
Is it an advantage card, or a disadvantage for the opponent card?
If it is an advantage card, then what's the upside to it, given how much it can destroy going into the laboratory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
- The base Chaos & Alchemy game comes with 85 game cards, plus Outcome cards for each player to track successes and failures. I also believe Game Salute will be including a few blank "make your own" cards as well.

- The Substances expansion contains 54 cards.

- Future expansion possibilities will depend on how well the base game and its current expansions do! If people love the game and it sells well, I have some ideas for other expansions, but those are just in the idea stage at the moment (no development work has been done yet).

- I don't know exactly what Game Salute's plans are for distribution of the Magnum Opus card.

- The Magnum Opus card has the highest point value in the game (4 points). With a goal of 10 points, this card gets you 40% of the way there in one fell swoop. In order to play it to maximum effect, it makes sense to play it when you have no other cards in hand (or at least none you mind losing) and when the 4 points you gain minus the points you lose for whatever innovation you destroy (probably a zero or one point card) will put you at 10 to win on that same turn. If you play Magnum Opus on turn 2, you're setting yourself up for disaster as it's quite likely to be stolen or destroyed.

I hope that helps!

Michael Iachini
Clay Crucible Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
-If the 'Magnum Opus' represents the philosopher's stone, are there cards which can use it to transmute things to gold? Are there any cards related to the concept of the philsopher's stone?

Is Chaos & Alchemy in General release? Can game stores and distributors get it in for the public's sake? Along with thes substances expansion too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking here as the designer of Chaos & Alchemy and the designer of the Magnum Opus card, I can tell you that I designed that card in the middle of the Kickstarter campaign in response to a request from the publisher for a cross-promotion opportunity with another campaign they were running at the same time (which was called Magnum Opus). I had to design a card that would work mechanically with the rest of Chaos & Alchemy while also feeling big and important enough to merit the name Magnum Opus. Thus, my design of a mega-point card that would best be played to win the game at the end. If you play it earlier without winning on that same turn, your Magnum Opus just sits there, vulnerable to attack from other alchemists.

There is nothing in the game that directly represents the philosopher's stone on a card. The goal of the game is to build up a laboratory sufficiently powerful (10 points) to transmute lead into gold and, one could say, create the philosopher's stone. But that's the after-effect; in game, it's all about the race to build the laboratory.

As for availability, the game has not yet been published (well, not the second edition; the first edition, which I self-published, is still available in limited quantities from Noble Knight Games - they bought some copies from me during the initial print run). I'm expecting that Game Salute will probably have it available for sale by the end of September, but I can't make any promises there.

As for what exactly will be available to what channels, I don't know for sure. I believe that Game Salute will mainly be promoting the deluxe edition with both expansions, but it's possible that they'll sell the base game and the expansions separately, or just sell the base game; I simply don't know.

Michael Iachini
Clay Crucible Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
-Does this game include the ability to cast potions, ie. the alchemical product of a transmutation (or similar)? How does this work, if so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You can read the full rules for the first edition of Chaos & Alchemy here: http://chaosandalchemy.com/game-rules/. This should provide you a better idea of what is and is not in the game.

Remember, Chaos & Alchemy is primarily about building up a laboratory. The Substances expansion adds the ability to mix reagents together for bigger effects, which I think is what you're looking for. If you have two or more Substance cards in your laboratory, you can mix them together and get an effect for each Substance that you put into the mixture.

Michael Iachini
Clay Crucible Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
-So, after some real fashion, do you have the option to cast potions over your opponent? Or even over yourself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, I don't understand what it means to "cast potions over" someone. So, I guess the answer is no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you produce an alchemical result, ie. a magic item, and in turn use that item product against the opponent in some way, and not just gain points from that result?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There are cards that you use to mess with opponents, yes. In the base game, these are just stand-alone cards. In the Substances expansion, some of them are substances that need to be mixed together in a mixture in order to have a negative effect on an opponent. I think this is what you're asking about, so the answer there is yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.