Subject: What card decks to use for what boards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Curley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I am not sure which card decks to use with the Breakthrough boards and the Overlord boards. I have all the expansions for the game. I always feel that I am using the wrong deck for the above boards.

Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Breakthrough boards, you should use the Breakthrough deck that was included in the Winter Wars expansion.

For the Overlord maps, you should use the Overlord deck that was included in the Operation Overlord expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

What´s the difference between Breakthroug and overlord?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overlord is a wider playing field, i.e. two regular boards laid side to side. You can/could purchase printed paper maps with terrain and unit placement on them or build the scenario's yourself with the necessary materials (two base games and the necessary expansions).

Breakthrough is a deeper playing field. I'm not sure if it's as deep as two regular boards put on top of each other, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the quick answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SammySnijbonen wrote:
Overlord is a wider playing field, i.e. two regular boards laid side to side. You can/could purchase printed paper maps with terrain and unit placement on them or build the scenario's yourself with the necessary materials (two base games and the necessary expansions).

Breakthrough is a deeper playing field. I'm not sure if it's as deep as two regular boards put on top of each other, though.

In addition, Overlord is designed and meant to be played in a team fashion, using a chain of command. There is a Commander in Chief who hand cards in to up to 3 Field Generals, who are in charge of a section of the map. The Commander in Chief may decide the strategy to win, but Field Generals may use their own tactics looking for the final win.

On the other hand, Breakthrough is meant to be played on a 1vs1 fashion, on a deeper map (17x13 hexes) and the deck designed for this format it has a new concept of ordering units, called "On the Move". The only difference with the regular orders is that these units cannot battle. However, the use of these "On the Move" orders to position your troops wisely in the map is paramount to achieve the final win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Wesley Chapel
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To add a little wrench to this thread - we are planning our first Overlord Breakthrough scenario and wondered what decks to use. Because of the depth of the boards in breakthrough, it seems like you would want the BT decks combined with OL decks? Has anyone tried that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Official OverThrough rules (D-Day Landings) specify to use 2x BT deck — one per board, or to use the OL deck for Overlord style play with CinC and 3 FG. You can of course use the OL deck and agree to custom add the On The Move orders to the OL cards as marked on the equivalent BT cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Wesley Chapel
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bdegroot wrote:
Official OverThrough rules (D-Day Landings) specify to use 2x BT deck — one per board, or to use the OL deck for Overlord style play with CinC and 3 FG. You can of course use the OL deck and agree to custom add the On The Move orders to the OL cards as marked on the equivalent BT cards.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The important diff in Breakthrough deck are the "On The Move" cards, which let you move extra units after ordering units. Very useful as BT maps have a lot of units and many start far from the action. Mobilization is a big part of BT tactics/strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.