John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game for a couple of reasons, the theme of it looked pretty cool and it was relatively cheap.

After buying it I watched Tom Vasel’s review and wondered if I had made a mistake. Now I don’t always agree with Tom, but his comments about too many turns where you could not play a card to help your position sounded worrying.

Anyway I played the game, thought it was good but not great but could not understand Tom’s criticism. Sure there were a couple of times I could not do anything useful that turn, but on those turns I could do something to make future turns better.

Then I realised I had got a rule wrong. We had played that if you had an advanced room, you could play it over a similar room, ie monster or trap, not that it had to match the treasure icon.

Played the game again and found that one rule made a huge difference. It was now quite common to pull an advanced room that not only could not be played now, but I did not have a card to let it be played on a future turn. Once you have a couple of unplayable advanced rooms, it can leave very few options.

So what I am saying is my incorrect rule makes the game a lot better. More control, more options and better game play.

I don’t usually house rule games, but as this takes a frustrating and slow game and improves it no end. I will be doing this in future games. Thought I would post about it, just in case it might help someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Kabara
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a bad idea. Might be fun for my next play through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are better ways around this that don't remove so much restriction. The game is balanced around this restriction for a reason. If you want the game to move faster, alternatives would be to draw more cards per turn, play more rooms per turn, or have an element that allows you to pay souls (defeated heroes) for a redraw. This restriction you're removing is both balanced and thematic. I'd suggest trying something else before you just break the whole game for the sake of speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it improved balance more than speed. As it is, you can be lucky and draw advanced rooms you can use or unlucky and keep drawing ones you can't play and you lose. I know it's not a long game or a particularly serious game, but as it is, the result will often be down to luck of the draw. Making it easier to play advanced rooms does speed up the game but to me, more importantly gives the players more control over the game.

I did post this though just to get other peoples views, so I am not saying your view is wrong, I am usually a stickler for rules. I just felt this change (even though it goes against an obvious design goal) could improve the game for some players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I like that rule change, but I've only played this once. I had two full turns where I had no options and could do nothing to prevent myself from being killed off. Yawn. I'm not big on games that restrict players from doing anything on their turn.

I don't think drawing more cards would help much, as that then boils down to just luck, rather than interesting choices.

Again, I've only played once, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
If you are not having fun, then you are missing the point.
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
The game is balanced around this restriction for a reason.

I would like to hear what balance is maintained by this restriction.

Given the fact that the game is:
- Simple, silly fun
- Short
- Luck driven

I think that giving the players more options can only make the game better!

I'm considering trying to remove all restrictions regarding advanced rooms. i.e. Players are allowed to build advanced rooms on top of any other room.

That seems drastic, however. So I'd love to hear some thoughts and ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
kelann08 wrote:
I think there are better ways around this that don't remove so much restriction.

I agree with this. When we first played the game, we read a couple of rules wrong, and this was one of them. My primary complaint was that the game was too easy and "math-based" (as in, it was very simple to just lay down the cards with the highest numbers and win the game, because they could be placed virtually anywhere). Playing the icons instead, it's much more strategic as far as which rooms to upgrade, which to rebuild, and when and where to do these things.

Strategy is pointless, though, if you don't have the cards you need, which is the OP's concern and one I share. So we adopted a less invasive house rule: At the start of each turn you draw 2 room cards and discard 1 (that is, discard one of the drawn cards, not one from your hand). Now we are much more likely to get a useful card (in some way), but the strategy remains in tact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
I thought it improved balance more than speed. As it is, you can be lucky and draw advanced rooms you can use or unlucky and keep drawing ones you can't play and you lose. I know it's not a long game or a particularly serious game, but as it is, the result will often be down to luck of the draw. Making it easier to play advanced rooms does speed up the game but to me, more importantly gives the players more control over the game.

I did post this though just to get other peoples views, so I am not saying your view is wrong, I am usually a stickler for rules. I just felt this change (even though it goes against an obvious design goal) could improve the game for some players.

This restriction exists to offset the effect of random card draw.

If all players can always play any room they want. Then whoever has the best hand has an advantage and will usually win. The actual rules make it so the best room isn't always playable, so the game isn't just about who drew the best rooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.