Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Founding Fathers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules clarifications and example of play questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've read the rules as the appear on Game Crafter website (v 1.1).

I might have missed a few things but I'm not sure about everything.

1) Set up: It mentions the Secretary of state and treasury to handle some parts of the setup. While I understand that is just to delegate tasks around it makes the assumption that these roles have already been given out. But I believe only the POTUS and VP are set at the start. Am I missing something?

2) Resolving issues timing: This could be more clearer to me, as I understand the President draws 1 issue at a time, and must resolve it before checking the next issue. But after drawing and reading the issue is he allowed to do other actions before resolving like passing/repealing taxes/tariffs or must he do that before drawing next issue?

3) Spending influence: Can any statesman spend influence to support a issue, can faction IP be used. In the example Washington spends IP on Create National Bank on the behalf of Hamilton. What if the Hamilton player did not want to resolve it, I guess he needs to say so before others start playing their IP.

4) The example of play found here http://spotlightongames.com/playback/ff0.html has this strange Hand of Time timings. They resolve 3 issues + tariff on first term and then suddenly 2 Hands of Time issues. Are there action cards for Hand of Times as well?

2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I start giving some preliminary answer. Rick will integrate my post later.

KronikAlkoholik wrote:
So I've read the rules as the appear on Game Crafter website (v 1.1).

I might have missed a few things but I'm not sure about everything.

1) Set up: It mentions the Secretary of state and treasury to handle some parts of the setup. While I understand that is just to delegate tasks around it makes the assumption that these roles have already been given out. But I believe only the POTUS and VP are set at the start. Am I missing something?


Version 1.0 of Rules provided a different setup of starting Offices (Treasury to Hamilton and State to Jefferson). We will address this point so to avoid confusion as happened to you. A release 1.2 of Living Rules is already scheduled, so we will add a clarification also for this point. For the time being, you can assume these tasks are performed by the President, provided there's no choice to be taken.

KronikAlkoholik wrote:

2) Resolving issues timing: This could be more clearer to me, as I understand the President draws 1 issue at a time, and must resolve it before checking the next issue. But after drawing and reading the issue is he allowed to do other actions before resolving like passing/repealing taxes/tariffs or must he do that before drawing next issue?


As far I understand (page 5), you perform these actions immediately before or after an Issue is resolved. Rick will confirm...

KronikAlkoholik wrote:

3) Spending influence: Can any statesman spend influence to support a issue, can faction IP be used.


As far I understand: yes, you can choose what IP is used, faction IP and/or Statesman IP. The only constraint is in The People phase (page 13). Rick will confirm...

KronikAlkoholik wrote:

In the example Washington spends IP on Create National Bank on the behalf of Hamilton. What if the Hamilton player did not want to resolve it, I guess he needs to say so before others start playing their IP.


Hamilton cannot decide to ignore the Issue. Rule in page 5: "First the President decides if the Issue is to be addressed at all. He may instead decide to ignore it. If so, the results of the Ignored option are applied, with Popularity losses applied only to the President, and the rest of the steps below are skipped. Otherwise, the President hands the Issue card to a listed Office Holder, usually with a suggestion on how to resolve the Issue when there is a choice."

So, if the President decides the Issue is to be resolved and assigns it to the Office Holder, he cannot ignore the Issue, he must resolve or fail it. If several resolution options are provided, the Office Holder may select which one to pursue, but -again- he cannot ignore it.

KronikAlkoholik wrote:

4) The example of play found here http://spotlightongames.com/playback/ff0.html has this strange Hand of Time timings. They resolve 3 issues + tariff on first term and then suddenly 2 Hands of Time issues. Are there action cards for Hand of Times as well?


That example was done with the old print & play version of Founding Fathers: Hand of Time was a game card. Now Hand of Time is an event printed on some Issue Cards: when such cards enter play, somebody dies...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Luca, as a fellow European you might offer input on shipping from GameCrafter. I'm assuming you got a copy, do you think that it would fit into the USPS small flat rate box?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have a copy. I paid about 40$ for shipping. Unfortunately it's very expensive from USA... but like for other games my experience is: when you want that game, sooner or later you'll buy it!

For the small flat rate USPS, what is the cost calculated by TGC?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calvinus wrote:
Yes, I have a copy. I paid about 40$ for shipping. Unfortunately it's very expensive from USA... but like for other games my experience is: when you want that game, sooner or later you'll buy it!

For the small flat rate USPS, what is the cost calculated by TGC?


I'm getting 25$ to Iceland on the USPS website, does TGC give me a price at their site when ordering.

I'm just not sure the Small flat rate is big enough.

Quote:
Priority Mail International®
Small Flat Rate Box
8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8"
Maximum weight 4 pounds.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You get an immediate preview of the shipping cost when checking out your order, before payment of course.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Really appreciate the close reading of the rules. It's helping to make the rules sharper.

1) (Mention of set-up tasks for Secretaries of State and Treasury)
As Luca says, I removed those starting offices, but forgot about their mention in rest of the set-up instructions. We'll remove those references in the living rules and for future buyers.

2) (Interspersing taxes/tariffs inside issue resolution)
No, since taxes and tariffs are treated as issues, do not resolve those until the issue is resolved. I am amending the rules to make this clearer.

3) (Who can spend influence to resolve an issue)
The intention is that only the responsible officer(s) can expend influence to resolve an issue. In that example it should state that the Washington player gives the Hamilton player influence and the Hamilton player decides whether to spend it or not. The example and rule will be clarified.

4) (what happened to the Hand of Time)
I converted the Hand of Time cards to icons on issue cards because it permits us to remove cards and thereby reduce the cost of the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The timing isnt as important as I first thought because the change to revenue and reserve happens after all issues so the ordering isn't relevant.

I will let you know if I find something else in the rules hard to understand or some issue.

I noticed that the election example is strange, it seems that for Burr to place in NE instead of into PA is a big mistake, then I figurde Madison and Burr is the same player so it made strategic sense so Madison could get PA. For beginners that could help to explain this to them.

Also optional rule Black Reputation, is there any way of getting rid of it? I thought they just couldn't win the game as it always ends in Civil War (I was stuck on the real war always happening at game end) but there is economic collapse as well.

Also the issues with multiple pop gain/loss value can be clearer i.e. Internsl Improvements has 1 0 -1. I guess this is for resolved / cancelled / failed.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:
The timing isnt as important as I first thought because the change to revenue and reserve happens after all issues so the ordering isn't relevant.
Right. As a matter of practice, I usually save the taxes and tariff for the end, after I see how much we're going to be spending.

Quote:

I will let you know if I find something else in the rules hard to understand or some issue.
Great

Quote:

I noticed that the election example is strange, it seems that for Burr to place in NE instead of into PA is a big mistake, then I figurde Madison and Burr is the same player so it made strategic sense so Madison could get PA. For beginners that could help to explain this to them.
Yes, or maybe leave it as an exercise for the alert reader? I'll see if I can add some explanation there.

Quote:

Also optional rule Black Reputation, is there any way of getting rid of it? I thought they just couldn't win the game as it always ends in Civil War (I was stuck on the real war always happening at game end) but there is economic collapse as well.
A third possibility is that the game end "normally", i.e. when the Issues run out.

Quote:

Also the issues with multiple pop gain/loss value can be clearer i.e. Internsl Improvements has 1 0 -1. I guess this is for resolved / cancelled / failed.
Take another look at label (L) on page 2? That is where we really tried explaining it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
heli wrote:
A third possibility is that the game end "normally", i.e. when the Issues run out.


Yeah when the historical Civil War was, that was what was messing with me, but I figured that this isn't necessarily what happens in this alternative timeline.

I wrote this last post on my phone and I figured out where I was wrong as I was writing them and just decided to put it there anyways
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a solo game (with the solitaire variant Rick is working on) and I can say that the Civil War matter is handled very nicely! Players can perform very tricky combos to make the Civil War breaks out in the right moment, so to jump on VP track making their opponents pay an advantage in Congressional Votes and Influence Points, eh eh! Very balanced, allows to explore many what-ifs! cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.