Subject: 19.07.2014 Berlin Regionals 4th place, 19 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Szczeciński
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When Poznań community heard about Regionals tournament in Berlin we were eager to travel and challenge our neighbors! Unfortunately it turned out that German publisher have banned all foreign cards but German and English so some of us have decided not to go. 3 of my friends and I asked our Poznań community to equip us with missing cards and we traveled 3h to Berlin.

19 players have attended. When we have arrived German players have welcomed us very friendly and were glad that we have managed to make our decks legal for the event. I can not say I understand the reasons behind this ruling and it have turned out that German players were disappointed with their publisher as well.

Because there was not that much space in the shop there were tables right in front of it on the pavement where we were supposed to play. I thought that it is actually very nice idea as I have not have a chance to play outdoor yet. Unfortunately I have change my mind after few minutes at the sun. There were about 30C out but fortunately after few hours we were playing in shade.

My decks:
I took slightly modified Sasha Friedman HB:FA deck. With the introduction of the Inazuma I was thinking about playing back again HB:FA. I was playing mostly Tennin with some success in previous Regionals however when I have seen Sasha on TC stream I have decide to give it a try. I was shocked how good this deck is during practice time. I have made few tweaks and took it to Berlin.
As my runner I took PVP Kate. I was playing Silhouette for about month now. She was basically mini Andy with the expose. I felt very strong with her however I got eventually bored with her. I took my Kate as a backup deck for practice meeting before Berlin event and I have noticed that this PVP deck archetype is amazing. I have enjoyed it that much that I have decided to play here at Regionals even I had basically zero experience with it.

Identity:
Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core)

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (11)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core) x3
Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus) x3
NAPD Contract (Double Time) x3
Gila Hands Arcology (Creation and Control) x2

Asset: (8)
Adonis Campaign (Core) x3
Eve Campaign (Humanity's Shadow) x2
Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) x3 ■

ICE: (18)
Inazuma (Honor and Profit) x2 ■■
Guard (Honor and Profit) x2
Eli 1.0 (Future Proof) x3
Wall of Static (Core) x3
Ichi 1.0 (Core) x3
Rototurret (Core) x1
Quandary (Double Time) x2
Enigma (Core) x1
Wall of Thorns (Core) x1 ■

Operation: (10)
Hedge Fund (Core) x3
Biotic Labor (Core) x3
Closed Accounts (Core) x1 ■
Blue Level Clearance (Fear and Loathing) x3

Upgrade: (2)
SanSan City Grid (Core) x2 ■■■

Total Agenda Points: 20

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 40
Jinteki: 5
NBN: 10
The Weyland Consortium: 0

Identity:
Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (22)
Diesel (Core) x3
Lucky Find (Double Time) x3 ■■
Test Run (Cyber Exodus) x2
Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow) x2
Scavenge (Creation and Control) x2
Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control) x3
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
Legwork (Honor and Profit) x1 ■■
The Maker's Eye (Core) x2
Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control) x1

Hardware: (8)
Clone Chip (Creation and Control) x3
Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts) x3
R&D Interface (Future Proof) x1
CyberSolutions Mem Chip (Fear and Loathing) x1

Program: (12)
Femme Fatale (Core) x1 ■
Datasucker (Core) x2 ■
Atman (Creation and Control) x2
Parasite (Core) x2 ■■
Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control) x2
Inti (Creation and Control) x1
Deus X (A Study in Static) x1
Sharpshooter (True Colors) x1

Resource: (3)
Same Old Thing (Creation and Control) x2
Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow) x1

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 6
Criminal: 3
Shaper: 50

Round 1 vs Whizzard and HB:EfT

I have been paired with the German guy named Freddy I believe. I have played my corp first. For first few turns he was gathering credits with Armitage and Kati and I thought he gonna Vamp me soon. I have made a safe HQ and remote with Wall of Thorns and was waiting for agendas. Then he have installed The Morningstar. Ok now my all barriers are worthless. I have put Inazauma on top WoT as he had only Yog and Mimic and have started scoring with NAPD. I was shocked when he have installed The Helpful AI to run my remote for 1 credit and took my next agenda. He took some points from R&D as well and was at the match point. I have put NAPD again on remote. He run Archives, HQ, and have decided to let me trigger Itchi on R&D. I was like ok and then he played Quest Completed! I was shocked once again! Lucky me it was NAPD and he had not enough credits to take the agenda, and I have destroyed his rig. Next turns he have installed Magnum Opus and another breakers so he was good to go again! I felt safe even I was agenda flooded as I was on match point with Biotic in hand. Then again he have surprised me with Sneakdoor Beta! I had 3 agendas in hand. He run, missed and I won next turn. I was in deep shock after this game. So unusual play style.
As a runner I faced HB:EtF. I believed he played big ice but the game was super fast. I have scored Mandatory Upgrades from R&D in first few accesses. Then he made a remote defended with Haimdall 1.0 but I clicked it through for agenda. Then he have installed something undefended and something behind Heimdall. I scored from R&D then run undefended remote and won game.
4 prestige.

Round 2 vs Santiago and Making News

I have faced Dominic. Awesome dude! I was playing my Kate first. I remember he have installed something behind Wraparound and advanced it once the left it for the half of the game. When I had 4 points he have scored his 6th point agenda. I could not have seen my Inti for a while and he had already 3 Wraparounds on the table. I had to Scavenge Femme from Bastion on R&D to run that advance card and scored NAPD. Otherwise he would have won next turn. He has started to drawing a lot for a winning agenda. I have managed to install my Inti eventually and made a run through Wraparound and Bastion paying 7 for it with Maker's Eye for the win.
As HB I was in trouble since start. He has Siphoned me very fast while I was agenda flooded. In turn 3 I had 5 agendas in hand defended by Eli. He run twice to score. Then he took a point from R&D! Next turn he Index me for GG but lucky me there were nothing. I have managed to stabilize. Wall of Thorns took his Corroder with net damage. I have defended all centrals and made safe remote to score 3 remaining agendas in hand. Then I waited for last agenda to Biotic it out for the win.
8 prestige

Round 3 vs Kate and Jinteki:RP

I was playing vs Alex. He had also 8 Prestige at this time. I was playing crop 1st. I have leaked few agendas early and I was defending R&D mostly. He was playing PVP Kate. When I had eventually 6 ice over R&D and felt safe as he run out of cards he have played Levy. I have scored some points but eventually he run through my 6 ice tower with Maker's Eye for the win.
After my corp game I had only 18 minutes vs his Jinteki. I have installed ice over each central. I was afraid of Komainu and I did not want to face check the ice. Around my turn 5 or 6 I have Femmed HQ and my my first run in the game with Legwork. It turned out to be Tsurugi. I get in to HQ and my first card was The Future Perfect. I have bid 0 and scored. Second was NAPD so I have payed 4. Third was Nisei MK II. I was like ok. GG Alex had another Future Perfect in hand as well. This actually was the best moment in my Netrunner career! 1 Femme. 1 Legwork. Profit.
(It turned out that Alex have ended swiss with 18 points losing only 1 game to me!)
10 prestige

Round 4 vs GRNDL and "Kit"

I was playing vs Finn. Running 1st. Long story short. He played his GRNDL perfectly. He rushed agendas since turn 3. He had at least 1 Scorched in hand. I could not keep up with the tempo and I lost.
As a corp I did same. I rushed agendas with Biotic, then scored by SanSan. When he had his big rig set with double R&D interface. I was already on the match point with winning agenda in hand.
12 prestige

Round 5 vs Making News and Reina

I was playing vs Marcel. He was playing Midseason type. He tried to score some agendas defended by a single Caduceus but I was able to win traces and right after that burst my econ with Lucky Finds to feel safe vs his Midseason. Soon after it I was on the match point. To be honest I was flooded with the econ but I was missing breakers. I had to play Scavenge on my Sharpshooter to install Femme and Maker's Eye for the win.
He was playing Steven's siphon Reina. I felt confident. I have tons of experience vs that deck as it was very popular in Poznań for some time. However, he managed to steal my Gila from remote. He have not land a successful Siphon during whole game but he managed to keep my econ low and I got flooded eventually. I had agendas in Archives, in undefended Remotes and still plenty in hand so the lose was inevitable.
14 Prestige.

I am not sure what place I have ended in swiss. I believe there were only Alex with 18 points above me and 2 other guys had 14 points as well. Unfortunately TO did not let us have a brake during single Round and I was almost a zombie playing for that long.

Elimination Round 1 vs Reina

I was paired with Marcel again! I thought a bit what to play as I was higher seed and I have chosen to run my HB once again even I have lost with it in last game. It was good decision. The game went smooth. Again no Siphon have landed. MVP was scoring Gila in turn 3.

Elimination Round 2 vs I do not know! I am sorry but this guy won the event and I can not remember his name.

We had to roll a dice to decide who play what and I was playing Corp. unfortunately I was zombie already. I have made some terrible mistakes like installing agenda on remote as I was sure that was my Eve Campaign. I could not get a proper ice on R&D and he won without breakers if I good remember.

Elimination Round 3 vs Can not remember as well

I was playing my Kate vs Jint:RP. Game was tough. He was swimming in credits. I can not remember exactly how I scored but I think all was from HQ. I did legwork at this game twice. First scored me Nisei when he had 3 cards for 4th points. Second could have been a winning one as I saw 3 agendas. I have scored only Nisei as I lost psi game biding 0 and did not have enough credits to score NAPD. Then my opponent scored 5 points but I won due to time.

Elimination round 4

I thought I need to win this game to get into top 4. I was so tired I did not have noticed I am already in it. I have faced Marcel once agian! Now I was running. I have scored 6 points before he was able to Midseason me. I have fought his trace and earned 3 tags. I have removed them in next 2 turns. However he was able to score Astro twice while I was recovering. He Fast Tracked one and top decked a second right after it. Even he had double Astro token and SanSan up I felt I am back in control with R&D interface. On my last turn I was torn between checking R&D or going with Legwork. I have bid on R&D seen nothing and he scored NAPD out of hand.

I would like to thanks all German players! I had awesome time! Guys were extremely friendly and I had a lot of fun playing with yuou. Only downside was the TO that did not allow any brake and have banned or had to banned our Polish cards due to publisher decision. Even that I am looking forward new events at Germany as the community and the players are awesome. Thanks a lot for a grate time I had!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the reason behind banning other languages, but I still find it silly. I attended a tournament in Japan, and whenever a player did not know the exact ruling of the card....we would simply go online to verify the exact text. I wish they allowed something similar for that tournament.

In any case, it seems you had a lot of fun!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review and congrats on high score. It's a pity, though, that after the travel and the whole day of playing, the fatigue eventually got the better of you. I'm not sure if playing Swiss and brackets the same day is going to be the best solution for tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iloveMRT wrote:
German publisher have banned all foreign cards but German and English (...) 19 players have attended. (...) I have change my mind after few minutes at the sun. There were about 30C out (...) the TO that did not allow any brake.

Congrats on your good result, but reading this all, I have to say I'm glad I decided not to go and went to Katowice instead.

Fun fact: Berlin together with neighbouring cities is twice bigger than Katowice with neighbouring cities. Berlin tournament had Regionals Kit as prizes, the one in Katowice had a Game Night Kit. Attendance in Katowice was just 1 player less than in Berlin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Heymuth
Germany
Harmstorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the writeup

Our 4 games were really cool and I really enjoyed playing repeatedly against you

I have to agree completely, that the publishers ruling concerning non-native language cards is absolute bullshit. When I was playing
in Wroclaw at the regional I took my German cards and there has not been any problem at all. If an opponent didn't know the image of a card, there
was always someone around, in order to explain it.

Playing outside was actually quite cool. Of my 8 games (including double elimination) I only played one game inside. The air was not really fresh and as soon as the shadow cast itself on the pavement, I think the outside tables had an advantage.

For me, apart from the language ruling, there is only one thing I want to critisize about the organizers: As far as I know, a Regional Kit contains 60 copies of the alternate Art Corporate Troubleshooter.
There were 19 players, so each participant as well as the TO could have gotten 3 copies. Instead, everyone only received one copy. I don't know, whether someone wants to sell them on eBay or elsewhere, but I think the players would have deserved the cards!!!

Cheers and hope to see you soon again, Jan

Marcel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingbert wrote:
As far as I know, a Regional Kit contains 60 copies of the alternate Art Corporate Troubleshooter. There were 19 players, so each participant as well as the TO could have gotten 3 copies.

It contains 65 copies (intended for top 64 participants and 1 TO). And I've already seen ebay auctions with multiple Troubleshooters available listed in cities which had Regionals with small attendance.

That said, it's not sure they will sell them as well, they may use it at some future event. In Wrocław we have around 25 Troubleshooters left and they will be used for another tournament as an extra prize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kohlmann
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the two games against you immensly. Well, until you hit me with the mentioned Legwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.