Tim de Groot
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. I thought about a way to balance respawning with the number of heroes. This is what I came up with, and what seems reasonable to me. But I would like to get some feedback. Do you think this is fair/balanced? Let me know!

Goal:
Instead of reinforcing a fixed number of monsters, use reinforcement points to make monster spawning scale with the number of heroes and give the Overlord more tactical flexibility when spawning.

Proposal:
When called to respawn a monster, instead the Overlord places 2 reinforcement points (RP) on that monster card. Then the Overlord may respawn, using the following costs in RP's. Partial RP's are lost, remaining RP's are saved for future spawning.

You can use fatique or threat to represent RP's.

When the quest respawns multiple monsters, this happends multiple times as well.

Example:
3 players play the the base introductionary quests that calls for one Goblin Archer respawning every turn. The Overlord collects 6 reinforcement points (RP's) when he needs to respawn. With it he can respawn three Goblin Archers, or the master and a minion.

Respawns at different parts of the Overlord turn
Some quests respawn one monster at the start of the Overlord turn, and another at the end of the Overlord turn. When the quest differentiates between spawning times, you make seperate collections of RP's - one for each spawn timing and spawn seperately.

Variantions:
You can alter the amount of RP's earned by the Overlord per turn. To make it easy/easier, use 1 RP per hero per respawn. To make it a little easier use 1,5 RP per hero per respawn; this means respectively 3 and 6 RP's in a 2p and 4p game, for a 3p game collect 3 RP's and roll a yellow dice: a surge means the Overlord gets an additional RP.

To add more randomness to it, instead of a fixed number of RP's, roll 1 green or blue die per hero. Each heart is 1 RP, each surge 2 RP.

Background/thought process:
Playing with the standard respawning rules some quests where easy with a big group, while they where challenging or nigh impossible with a small group. I see people advising to always play with 4 heroes, but that doesn't seem to remedy the cause: fixed number of respawning doesn't scale (at all) with the number of heroes.

First I thought of how to calculate what the respawn rate of each monster should be. As monster groups are supposed to be equal, the base line consisted of that each group as a whole should have the same cost to respawn. For the cost difference between masters and minions I compared all Act I health totals of all monsters.
When I set 12 as the total cost to respawn an entire group, with the aforementioned ratio's, I came to roundable numbers.
Then the dilemma how much reinforcement points the Overlord should receive. I wanted to keep the points in ratio with the number of heroes, so a number of RP's per hero would make most sense. Also I felt that respawning frequently isnt strong enough in a 4p game, but is too strong in a 2p game. The fixed respawn seemed about right for a 3p game (balance wise). Respawning usually makes the Overlord choose a big monster grp, as then he can respawn the strongest monster. So it makes sense to balance the respawning points with a 3p game respawning a big monster. Biggest monsters cost 7 to respawn, so 2 pts per hero seems about right. 3 feels over the top, as in a 4p game the Overlord would just be able to respawn an entire grp that way.

So there it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ttsgosadow wrote:
Hi all. I thought about a way to balance respawning with the number of heroes. This is what I came up with, and what seems reasonable to me. But I would like to get some feedback. Do you think this is fair/balanced? Let me know!

Well, seemed to work OK as Threat tokens in 1st edition, so I think it should work OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Seems like you will break a lot of quests with this... Have you thought it through beyond the first introduction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the OL has nothing to respawn that turn? Does he get RP anyway?

Okay, so I have 3 open groups. Ettins, Goblin Archers and Barghests. Rules for the quest say I can reinforce 1 monster from any open group at the start of my turn. At the start of my turn, do I:
* add 2 tokens per hero to each monster card
or
* add 2 tokens per hero to selected monster card only
or
* add as many tokens to each card as I want, while keeping total equal to number of heroes * 2?

What if overlord is instructed to reinforce multiple monsters? Does he get more RPs?

Also, it won't work in quests with different reinforcement rules. For example in Labirynth of the Ruin first quest actually accounts for number of heroes when describing reinforcements. 1st quest on Serena side allows reinforcing only 7HP of monsters total per turn, and you get limited amount of respawns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bach
France
flag msg tools
Thanks for the variant, I'll try it today!

For clarification, maybe you should write:

"When called to respawn a monster, instead the Overlord places 2 reinforcement points (RP) on that monster card per hero."

As is, you would think that the Overlord only gets 2 points.

Also, I suggest to add "you only put tokens on monster cards if those monsters are" available for respawn (=that have dead figs out of the board)

+ actually, the OL should get 2 points per "group" of monsters available for respawn, if the scenario instructs him to reinforce more than 1 group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.