4 Player Chess» Forums » Variants

Subject: My 6 player Chess Variant based on using 2 of these boards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Carroll
United States
flag msg tools

You will need to order 2 (or more) of these to play:

You will need to paint the silver and gold pieces some other color or order another set of 2 or more Chess pieces in a non-silver or gold color.

I play 4 player Chess with 4 mods and I sometimes put two four player boards together and play six player chess . Of course since Four player Chess boards only come with 4 colors of pieces, I had to introduce two more colors of pieces.

Pawns are now “Princes" they can move 1 in any direction, or 2 forward spaces any time (en passant rules still apply). They can capture in all directions (even behind) like a king.

This is designed to encourage promotion which seems to rarely happen in 4 or 6 player games and allowing pawns to be able to deal with the sheer distances involved in the board and be able to have some “teeth” if a good player uses them right as they do in regular Chess.

Knights are now “Assassins” - they can move once, or twice on a turn. They can capture on first move only, not on the second move. They can capture on first move, then move away if desired. On a board this long this keep knights from being second class citizens compared to Bishops, Queens and Rooks.

I am considering whether en Passant should apply to the first square of a Knights move if they move twice. I am testing it with En Passant applying to Assassins.

As in 4 player Chess if a King is checkmated, upon the move where a player actually captures the king all the pieces in that kings army change control to that player. The player still only has 1 move, just an increase in size of army.

Ideally at that point you trade all the captured/controlled player’s pieces for the color of the player who captured the king. I own a few extra sets for this reason. When for example a gold player checkmates and captures a White player's pieces I trade all the white pieces for gold pieces to signify their new owner. Rule #1 becomes essential then because in the most common 4 Player Chess rules pawns can only move forward, and capture diagonally. If not playing 6 player Chess with Rule Variation #1 the pawns will remain the same color as the original player so their direction restrictions can be maintained.

Rule #4 TRUCES

Any player can ask for a 1-3 turn truce with any other player. During the truce neither can attack each other. This means for duration of truce the player need not fear attacks from player they have truce with. But once truce expires, all bets are off. There must be a minimum of 3 turns between truce.

There is a tendency for players to informally ally, this formalizes it for very short term situations without creating any need to make any alliance rules. 4 player Chess rules, the main ones discourage allying but have no way of enforcing it, since Chess is not a game of mandatory captures.

4 and 6 player Chess is very compatible with:

=> Knightmare Chess @

including Handicapping @

=> Chaos Chess @

=> Rogue Chess @

=> ChessHeads @

So we have incorporated this into our 4 or 6 player Variants.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.