Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about SWs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been confused how the SWs work in ASL SK#1 works for a while. Mainly how they work with firing in the different phases.

"A squad may fire any one SW at no cost to its own FP."

So does that mean that in the reminder of fire phases left the squad can fire with either the SW or its own FP?



"A squad may fire two SW (and a HS fire one SW) but forfeits its own FP for the current and any remaining fire phases in that Player Turn (except for SFF, FPF and Final Fire vs adjacent units)"

Does this mean that he can only fire with the SW for the reminder of the fire phases?

But there is so many exceptions.. isn't that like all other fire phases?



I would really appreciate if someone could explain how the firing of SWs work in simple english.

Thanks for any help
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A Squad can fire:
-its inherent FP and the SW together;
-its inherent FP and the SW separately, at two different targets even;
-two SW but not its inherent.

Once a SW or squad has fired, it can't fire again, unless the SW has rate of fire, or during Defensive First Fire (which is when you're firing at moving units and you can use Subsequent Fire or Final Protective Fire).

Half-squads can only fire EITHER their inherent FP OR their SW, but not both. Once it fires either, mark it with a Prep Fire or First Fire or Final Fire counter, as appropriate.

If a squad Prep fires its inherent but not SW, place the prep fire marker under the SW but on top of the squad, so you know what's fired. same with defensive fire.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suns Anvil
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindu wrote:
If a squad Prep fires its inherent but not SW, place the prep fire marker under the SW but on top of the squad, so you know what's fired. same with defensive fire.


So a squad can prep fire with its inherent FP...and in subsequent phases fire a SW? Wow, I never thought of that. I've been playing it that any thing which prep fires is DONE for that turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why anyone would ever leave their SW completely unfired in Prep after firing inherent...you can't move or do anything later with the SW except ADVFire at half later on, so it would be stupid to do. But you could split fire and if you were being precise, if you fired the squad alone first you'd mark it as described.

I mean, I might be wrong, but I don't think so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindu wrote:
A Squad can fire:
-its inherent FP and the SW together;
-its inherent FP and the SW separately, at two different targets even;
-two SW but not its inherent.

Okey got it!

Rindu wrote:

Once a SW or squad has fired, it can't fire again, unless the SW has rate of fire, or during Defensive First Fire (which is when you're firing at moving units and you can use Subsequent Fire or Final Protective Fire).

Okey think I got it as it sounds like there is nothing new added (except ROT).

Rindu wrote:

Half-squads can only fire EITHER their inherent FP OR their SW, but not both. Once it fires either, mark it with a Prep Fire or First Fire or Final Fire counter, as appropriate.

Okey, I understand that a HS can only choose to fire their own FP or the SWs.

But if I have a HS with a SW. I am a defender and choose to fire with the SW during the Defensive First Fire. Can I then during the SFF fire with either one or forced to fire with the SW again?

Rindu wrote:

If a squad Prep fires its inherent but not SW, place the prep fire marker under the SW but on top of the squad, so you know what's fired. same with defensive fire.

Okey! But why not always fire with both during the prep fire? There is no other time to fire for the attacker if he is not going to move. I guess maybe it's a easy kill and firing with the SW would be a risk to break it? idk..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Holloweye wrote:

Rindu wrote:

Half-squads can only fire EITHER their inherent FP OR their SW, but not both. Once it fires either, mark it with a Prep Fire or First Fire or Final Fire counter, as appropriate.

Okey, I understand that a HS can only choose to fire their own FP or the SWs.

But if I have a HS with a SW. I am a defender and choose to fire with the SW during the Defensive First Fire. Can I then during the SFF fire with either one or forced to fire with the SW again?


Sort of. When the HS first fires, either inherent or SW, the whole stack is marked first fired (as opposed to a squad which fires only inherent and the SW isn't marked). SFF is an option for either but not both, but note the restrictions of SFF (for SW, decreased B#/X#; and range limitations). So you can First Fire the SW, then SFF with the HS' inherent at half FP.

Another way to think about it: if a full squad fires ONLY its SW, then the squad itself has not First Fired. If a HS fires its SW, then it HAS First Fired, and it can never fire both its inherent and SW at the same time.

Rindu wrote:

If a squad Prep fires its inherent but not SW, place the prep fire marker under the SW but on top of the squad, so you know what's fired. same with defensive fire.

Okey! But why not always fire with both during the prep fire? There is no other time to fire for the attacker if he is not going to move. I guess maybe it's a easy kill and firing with the SW would be a risk to break it? idk..[/q]

Yeah, there's not really a good reason to ever do this, I was just illustrating how it would work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindu wrote:
Holloweye wrote:

Rindu wrote:

Half-squads can only fire EITHER their inherent FP OR their SW, but not both. Once it fires either, mark it with a Prep Fire or First Fire or Final Fire counter, as appropriate.

Okey, I understand that a HS can only choose to fire their own FP or the SWs.

But if I have a HS with a SW. I am a defender and choose to fire with the SW during the Defensive First Fire. Can I then during the SFF fire with either one or forced to fire with the SW again?


Sort of. When the HS first fires, either inherent or SW, the whole stack is marked first fired (as opposed to a squad which fires only inherent and the SW isn't marked). SFF is an option for either but not both, but note the restrictions of SFF (for SW, decreased B#/X#; and range limitations). So you can First Fire the SW, then SFF with the HS' inherent at half FP.

Another way to think about it: if a full squad fires ONLY its SW, then the squad itself has not First Fired. If a HS fires its SW, then it HAS First Fired, and it can never fire both its inherent and SW at the same time.

Rindu wrote:

If a squad Prep fires its inherent but not SW, place the prep fire marker under the SW but on top of the squad, so you know what's fired. same with defensive fire.

Okey! But why not always fire with both during the prep fire? There is no other time to fire for the attacker if he is not going to move. I guess maybe it's a easy kill and firing with the SW would be a risk to break it? idk..


Yeah, there's not really a good reason to ever do this, I was just illustrating how it would work. [/q]

Thanks a lot, think I got it now!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. van H.
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also want to check out this discussion, Holloweye:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/88350/explanation-rof-and-de...

A.o. things, it discusses ROF in the PFPh. Be sure to also read the comments below the first post. This thread has been (as usual with Jay Richardson's Starter Kit guides) of great help to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Holloweye wrote:
Rindu wrote:

If a squad Prep fires its inherent but not SW, place the prep fire marker under the SW but on top of the squad, so you know what's fired. same with defensive fire.

Okey! But why not always fire with both during the prep fire? There is no other time to fire for the attacker if he is not going to move. I guess maybe it's a easy kill and firing with the SW would be a risk to break it? idk..


You may want to fire at two separate targets, plus there are other options when vehicles are present on the battlefield. Most Prep Fire does involve inherent and SW.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Puente
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just two more clarifications:

- When a unit uses SFF, they may use MGs. However, if firing using FPF, then the unit must use all SWs available. That applies to the previous example of SFF/FPF with a HS, so that during FPF you cannot choose to use inherent FP.

- If you fire the inherent FP of a unit (or a SW) during prep fire, then at the end of the phase both the unit and their SWs will be marked with a prep counter. Otherwise, you could move a unit which only fired a MG and kept ROF, for example. I cannot find now a very explicit rule (even in full ASL); it has to be inferred from: (1) Units that fired in PFPh cannot move in MPh; (2) Only units that did not fire in PFPh can fire in AFPh; and (3) definition of "unit": any unit with its own MF/MP (so SW are not units)

So, no matter if there is a point in firing in prep and saving a shot for AFPh; it cannot be done.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sunsanvil wrote:
Rindu wrote:
If a squad Prep fires its inherent but not SW, place the prep fire marker under the SW but on top of the squad, so you know what's fired. same with defensive fire.


So a squad can prep fire with its inherent FP...and in subsequent phases fire a SW? Wow, I never thought of that. I've been playing it that any thing which prep fires is DONE for that turn.
You cannot fire in different phases.
Rindu, I presume, explained how to keep memory that the SW did not fire, for the duration of the Prep Fire Phase - but at the end of the phase, all units (and their SW) which fired are marked with a Prep Fire counter.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.