8 Posts

Hostage Negotiator» Forums » Variants

Subject: An idea to make this multiplayer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Malc R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I haven't played this yet but think it sounds interesting. However, I'm unlikely to be able to justify spending money on a game only 1 person can play at a time.

I understand that people are not likely to want to play as the hostage taker but it might be possible to make it a co-operative game with, perhaps, one player as FBI, one player as local Police (other agencies could also be represented) and possibly, to help or hinder as their goals permit, one or two players as journalists trying to get the inside scoop and why not one player as John McClane (or a non-franchised version thereof).

Each player could have different victory requirements: FBI might be more adamant about not giving into demands; local PD might have a lower casualty threshold. Alternatively, you might gain or lose points for hostages released or killed on your turn.
Another alternative might be for two or more people to play simultaneously (each with their own deck) using the same hostage taker and then to compare results.

I haven't a clue about how well this would work with the game as written and I know the creators are making a virtue of the solitaire aspect but I just thought it might be good to float the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Different negotiators from different agencies, all in contact with the abductors and giving conflicting messages ? Seems like a recipe for disaster for me.

From what I know (granted it comes from watching movies and tv shows), even though there may be several agencies involved, it is extremely important to have one single negociator in contact with the abductor, to be able to have a maximum of control on the situation and avoid any risk of escalation.

Also your suggestion involves major changes in the game, making it almost a different game.

I think an easiest and more thematic way to implement multiplayer would be to play advisors to the negociator, agreeing behind the scenes on what he should say. At the easiest level, this would require no change at all to the rules. The players will just have to discuss between them on what card should be played.

I guess you could also implement your idea of conflicting agencies on that base (all being behind the negotiator and having to agree on what he is going to say), making this a semi-coop game, with a goal shared by all players and some private goals specific to each players.
It would add an amount of negociation in the game as everyone tries to make sure their private goals are reached. It would certainly make the game more difficult though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malc R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Merci de la réponse, Itai.

I agree that the multiple negotiators in direct contact with the abductors would probably be less realistic and thanks for the suggestion regarding the players being advisors to the negotiator instead of being the actual negotiator.

Another Die Hard (or WereWolf or Bang!) influenced idea (and I only really suggested John McClane as a joke earlier) would be to have the possibility of one of the players (chosen at random) being on the side of the baddies, unbeknownst to the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a great idea. And I think it's another separate game.

But local PD and FBI and say, media sensitive Mayor, and other characters with different goals and sensitivity to hostages etc. seems like a great idea. Maybe the bank is willing to pay the ransom, but their insurance company isn't.

It might be fun to have an "inside person". One of the hostages is John McClain. Or the Mayor's niece.

And I wouldn't totally dismiss the idea of playing the Abductor either. Playing the bad guys can be fun, and certainly allows for more of a hidden agenda. Yes, we're demanding money and the freeing of our jailed brothers, but what we really want is lots of publicity, or the whole thing is nothing more than a diversion while we rob a bank across town.

Lots more fun to be had with this theme, I hope somebody carries it further
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the most viable option is to allow a person to play the adbuctor. It could be as simple as giving that player his own set of conversation cards. it would also be interesting if the abductor has the choice of revealing his demands up front or incrementally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got to say I'm not comfortable with the idea of playing the abductor. This was actually brought up in the comments early on and a couple other backers agreed that didn't seem appropriate and the designer said he wouldn't do that.

From a couple of the backers:
Quote:
That seems a little dark, don't you think? :(

Quote:
I get kind of depressed just thinking how a game like that would work. Buy time until you decide to start offing hostages? No thanks haha

From the designer:
Quote:
I get what you are saying that is seems appealing on the surface from a game perspective, but the parallels hit on some sensitivities that I am just not comfortable with as @kyle and @Brady are getting at. Let's face it, it is a dark theme that toes the line a bit as it is. I mean can you imagine if you invited a friend to play and they had been in a hostage situation themselves? Or maybe known someone who had? It is just too much...
Still I love you sharing your ideas so please feel free to share any more you might have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alenros
Israel
Tel-Kazir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about there IS one negotiator, but it isn't any of the players.
the players are the outside infulences (FBI, local police, mayor etc.) that try to convey their message to the abductor through the HN, and have their agenda and ways to manipulate him so that he in turn can manipulate the abductor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a much simpler approach?
I'm going to force my wife into playing a 2p coop game with me tonight. We'll pick 1 KS exclusive negotiator card each and play in turns, using 2 sets of trackers and buying our hand at the beginning of our turn. Hm..I hope it'll work with the terror phase..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.