☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife wants my daughter to go to Catholic school at least for a few years.

To be honest most of what I know about the Catholic church is the sex abuse scandal involving priests.

Does anyone know if there is data comparing sex abuse incidence in Catholic school vs public?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I know only that in other places the lack of openness about such data is a major sticking point with those angry at the church. Part of me wants to say that surely it must be a minority within Catholic schools who are abusive but I really have nothing to base that on except my faith in basic human decency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
They call me Troll; Gnawer of the Moon, Giant of Gale-blasts, Curse of the Rain-Hall, Companion of the Sibyl, Nightroaming Hellion, Swallower of the Loaf of Heaven. What is a Troll but that?
mbmbmbmbmb

Priests Commit No More Abuse Than Other Males
http://www.newsweek.com/priests-commit-no-more-abuse-other-m...

The percentage of Catholic priests who are pedophiles actually seems to be a bit lower than that of the general populace (it just makes for better "NEWS" when it's a priest who does something bad).

Gotta sell those papers...Gotta get those clicks...

All in all, a child probably has more to fear from a family reunion...

The bigger hurdle to clear if you are considering Catholic schooling is price (it can be very expensive).

And you do realize that priests don't actually teach classes at Catholic school (it's just regular teachers)? I don't even think there are any Nuns with rulers anymore (which is too bad because I think they make for much better television)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell they are no more likely to abuse children then anyone else.

There were I think two reasons why it received so much attention

The first is the fact that there was a massive and systematic cover up, combined with an apparent lack of concern for the victims of it.

The second reason was (and how many times have we seen the same mentality on RSP?) was the fact that the Catholic chruch represented itself as some kind of moral guardian, yet seemed to be no better morally then any one else.

I think your child is as safe an anywhere else, as long as you never assume she is safe, and you listen when she complains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Why would you want to send your daughter to Catholic school if you aren't Catholic?

Minneapolis public schools graduation rate is "under 54 percent in 2013".

If Minneapolis public schools fails to graduate nearly half their students, why would I send my daughter there?

Also the Catholic school is near our house, 1/3 the price of other private schools and has better hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dirge the Troll wrote:

Priests Commit No More Abuse Than Other Males
http://www.newsweek.com/priests-commit-no-more-abuse-other-m...

The percentage of Catholic priests who are pedophiles actually seems to be a bit lower than that of the general populace (it just makes for better "NEWS" when it's a priest who does something bad).

However this data was collected during a time which we now know there was a huge cover up going on of abuse carried out by Catholic priests.

It may very well be the case that Catholic priests do not commit more abuse than other males, but data collected in the last 30 years definitely cannot be used to make this argument.

I don't know if anyone has tried to collected new data, attempting to add back in covered up cases. That might be difficult, even assuming the Church is now being completely open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Minneapolis public schools graduation rate is "under 54 percent in 2013".

My city is at 53.8%. My daughter is in public school and she gets all A's and aces the state proficiency exams (MCAS).

Do you think that if yours goes to public school that she will drop out? Or that her education will suffer due to the poor performance of others / teaching to the bottom? Also, consider that in large cities the graduation rate sometimes includes students that move away. Not always is there accounting for who entered and dropped versus who finished elsewhere. The larger the population the lager number of transient students there are.

Private schools benefit from choosing who enters. Even charter schools can do this when they are supposed to accept by lottery... they will evaluate students on entry (transferring from a public school grade) with their own testing and then tell the parents that the child will enter at a lower grade than they came from. The parents will often decline this and go back to public school, if not they will enter at a lower grade and it will lessen the impact on state exams which are grade based, not age based. But mostly it weeds out the ones that will do poorly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
US across the board is at 76% high school graduation rate. My guess is that countries like Japan, Finland, UK, Norway and Finland also have to deal with issues such as students moving during the year. But they graduate fifteen percent more students than we do.

Is that all due to immigration? I guess that is something worth looking into. I think the US probably attracts more immigrants than the countries on the top of the list for world graduation rates like Portugal and Slovenia. But I'm just guessing.

What I do know is the US graduation rate is shameful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.