Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding of the rules has it that a player can shift either up or down during their shift phase.

If that is indeed the case then is it not possible for two players to shift indefinitely from 2nd to 3rd and back again? If so, what should be done about these situations?

I have encountered this on multiple different occasions with a few different people even. It happens when neither player seems very likely to hit the other when both are in gear two. So one shifts up, so the other does the same, but neither has or wants to burn the spirit for their omega, which could be guarded by using only the opponents active guard, not really getting you anywhere. So they just shift back down and then the same is true for the other opponent about active guarding, so they also shift back down and the cycle repeats. It also mainly tends to happen when both players are heavily wounded and thus are playing extra cautiously, as they can't afford to attack and miss and then get hit and lose.

It seems like it shouldn't be possible for this to happen, but it keeps popping up and is always annoying when it does. Since neither player really has an incentive to attack, the only way to resolve it is just to pick a player at random and make them attack so the game doesn't last forever, and 99% of the time whatever unlucky player is forced to attack then loses.

I'm hoping that I'm doing something wrong, or at the very least that someone could suggest how to handle these situations when they do arise.

Thank you for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is it is always beneficial to attack at some point. Even in gear 3 you can attack without paying the modifier cost. Some characters are very strong in this position, such as Ritual Totem Raptor.

I find the more common lockdown is when the opponent is forced to active guard your attacks that have the Shift Crit. In fact, the Crit Effects are what make attacking viable. Your opponent might be able to active defend your attack, but if you get all your Spirit back from getting a Crit it does not matter.

You may jostle for position as you described, but I rarely find the game is completely locked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.