Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We spend an awful lot of time here and in other venues discussing boardgames. And of course we use language to talk about games. And it follows that language is, at least in part, based on the use of words that suggest a certain meaning.

So, this survey is the first of, what will hopefully be many, short-ish opinion surveys about boardgame terminology. I'm curious to get a "gut check" sense of how people are using particular term, how familiar they might be with it, how confident they are in their own usage of it, and some games that come to mind that exemplifies the term.

So, please click the link below to connect to a Google survey. Feel free to discuss results or questions here.

Boardgame Terminology Opinion Survey #1

Thank you for your participation! Results can be seen after completing the survey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Something to indicate how many more pages are in the survey, or a progress meter, would have been nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Interesting. Something to indicate how many more pages are in the survey, or a progress meter, would have been nice.

Yes, thanks for mentioning that! I added a "X of 7" to the header on each page so at least you know how much more you have to go through to finish it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Done - Now what do I win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to sat there have been some great responses so far! Keep 'em coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godthedj wrote:
Done - Now what do I win?

My congratulations! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Replied. Great poll - it will be very interesting to see the summary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
Replied. Great poll - it will be very interesting to see the summary!

Here's a link to the summary - let me know if it doesn't open:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1R2oUnjMp8duETSUWrhjVKp8XuN-...

It's interesting do this kind of discussion via a poll, since it focuses people on thinking of their own approach instead of getting into arguments with each other about semantics and the like. Pretty interesting and informative responses so far.

I'm definitely going to be doing more of this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it hard to parse the results very easily. It would be easier for me to read the results if each answer were on a separate line. As it is, I just see a wall of text and my brain gets stuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't change how the summary is formatted. I have the results in a raw format too, but that's even harder to read. I'll let this thing run a few days then download and format a summary to post here on BGG for discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked how the summary was formatted. My answers were shuffled among the others so sometimes they appeared early in the lists, sometimes later. More anonymous that way.

And I liked reading the lists of games people thought fit one of your definitions - sometimes completely different games, sometimes the same games appeared several times. Even more interesting was when some people rated a game low weight and others heavy weight - the same game. Partly depends on how often you've played it, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So many "confident" and "very confident" and yet such a disparity of answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
GrimJester wrote:

I felt confident until I started typing my answers to justify that confidence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
Just wanted to sat there have been some great responses so far! Keep 'em coming!

What's going to happen with them or the summary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've contributed as well. I'm actually very confident about all definitions, though "elegance" is still a bit vague for me. That was a tricky page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimJester wrote:

Not surprising at all. It's my definition, so I'm quite confident in it. I'm also confident that my definition may not be yours, but that's a different question.
whistledevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom V
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I went with after about 5 seconds of thought:

Fiddly:
Requiring intricate, detailed or highly specific actions in a number disproportionate to the perceived or actual impact of those actions on the course of gameplay.

Weight:
Cognitive load required to fully parse the data state of a game at any given point in time and to use this information as the basis for gameplay decisions.

Complexity
The number of and potential or actual number of interactions between permissible gamplay actions and/or states.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twvogelsang wrote:
What I went with after about 5 seconds of thought:
Since our definitions are already being collected via the poll, I don't think we really need to duplicate our answers in the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.