Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Schell
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Last night a buddy and I decided to try the game again after we read the updated rules.

We each picked a hero:

I picked soldier (i like the whole managing threat, tanking and his ability to wipe out large amounts of minions at once.)

He Picked Archer (He played the Acolyte the last time we played and was not happy with the clarification of faith so he decided it was too weak and wanted to try something different)

We decided we wanted to do a story quest and went with the second one in the book (i think its called stone of life, after reading it i referred to it as temple of doom )

So we set up the first tile put down a crawler layer (it was in the fluff) and then drew a quest. It was the quest that you need to get poisoned and collect it in a vial, and it wants you to spawn a layer.

so we put down a second layer and spawned minions for that layer. We decided on no hunting packs since it looked like a bunch of crawlers and we thought that was enough for us

so about an hour after mercilessly killing crawlers, killing one layer and damaging the other i finally got poisoned and we completed the quest, the next in the chain spawns another layer that we have to blow up and spawn 12 more minions and 2 captains. Something happened then and we realized we had some issues, i was at 4 HP and he was at about the same and both of us got poisoned by the crawlers. This is when we realized we had no way of dealing with poison. after that we kinda gave up on the night since we where going for about 2 hours now and we where doomed to die.

Here are my questions:

1) are crawlers really that bad? should we have spawned grubbers and fought them first?
2) is poison really that bad? Are we forced to play either brigand or acolyte every time?
3) did we do the quest right by completing it mid tile then activating the second part right away?

Also as a side note i am now seeing why people have been upset by the number of minis in the base game, with 2 players you don't kill enough to keep up with the spawns, it was kinda bad I am glad i went with the higher KS pledge to get the extra minis though. I think there is a lot of potential for this game but it really does feel like a beta test right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
2) is poison really that bad? Are we forced to play either brigand or acolyte every time?
3) did we do the quest right by completing it mid tile then activating the second part right away?

Poison is bad yes, if you have to play without Acolyte or Brigand you really should try to buy anti poison potion.

3) no you set up the next chapter quest (either the follow up of the chapter quest you just did or a radom chapter quest) when you populate the NEXT tile requesting a chapter quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schell
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
The condition of completing the quest was one of us to get poisoned and the other to collect the poison (from i am assuming shaking feverish body) so the quest dude can synthesize an antidote.

We did that (i got poisoned and he moved adjacent to me)

so it said start chain quest X so we thought it immediately happens

also on buying anti venom, can we actually do this at the beginning? Unless i am mistaken we start with 0 gold. I think my solution is just spawn grubbers till our hero's get a little built up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just checked the quest, it should say "add quest XXXX" this mean you add the card to the quest deck to be played later, sometime it says PLAY this quest immediately but not in the base game if i am right.

You are right about the immpossibilty to buy a potion at the beginning, you have to reach a specific tile to do that, if you play without Acolyte or Brigand i will advise a little house rule, since your character know there is a lot of crawlers then they won't go into adventure without a anti venom (1 or 2) but begin with a debt (maybe 1.5 the price of this potion). It won't break the game but make some configuration playable instead of deadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh and you made another mistake.

Yuou resolve the installation of the quest FIRST (follow the icons order) making you add a crawler lair then you read the lairs, this icon mean you can have 1 or 2 lairs, your choice, the lair of the quest count for 1 so you don't HAVE TO add another one (you are between 1 and 2), it is a good decision to stay at 1 lair for your firsts adventures, more important if you have only 2 characters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlmostMeek wrote:
The condition of completing the quest was one of us to get poisoned and the other to collect the poison (from i am assuming shaking feverish body) so the quest dude can synthesize an antidote.

We did that (i got poisoned and he moved adjacent to me)

so it said start chain quest X so we thought it immediately happens

I believe it just states to add the quest, not start the quest. You're just supposed to add it to the Chapter Quest Deck so that you may stumble upon it in the future.

AlmostMeek wrote:

also on buying anti venom, can we actually do this at the beginning? Unless i am mistaken we start with 0 gold. I think my solution is just spawn grubbers till our hero's get a little built up

This is correct. You can't buy anything until you a) have Gold, and b) meet a Merchant that is selling anti-venom. If you have a Serendipity, then you can summon a specific Merchant (Talek) who sells anti-venom (I think....maybe I'm mixing that up...in which case, it's just luck of the draw).

Crawlers aren't that bad unless your ill prepared for Poison (like having a group without the Acolyte or Brigand).

A side note on your session - If the chapter quest requires a Lair, then it will fulfill the Tile requirements for a Lair as well. In other words, it sounds like you could have played that 1st tile with just one Lair.

Back on topic, your session highlights some legitimate issues with the game:
1 - Until Heroes get stronger, it's really difficult to run a party without the Acolyte or Brigand.
2 - Poison can be really hard to cure if your party isn't already prepared for it...which makes Crawlers scary if you get Poisoned.
3 - The Chapter Quests are clunky in implementation.
4 - The particular Chapter Quest that you drew can be VERY frustrating...since it can be hard to purposely get poisoned. I've played it twice, and it went really smooth the first time...and failed the 2nd time. Our 2nd time was similar to your session...an hour for that damn quest is frustratingly tedious.

Love the game, but it has some issues to work through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schell
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone,

Going to give the game another shot on tuesday (hopefully we will have 3 people this time)

Be assured i will be posting here if i have any more questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get into a similar situation with Curse (depending on what you're fighting) without an Apprentice or Acolyte.

A "house rule" you could consider is to add the following to the Serendipity list:
2 Serendipity: Cure a status effect

It probably wouldn't have helped you in this particular case as it sounds like you wouldn't have had serendipity either, but it seems a reasonable cost/benefit that makes more class combinations viable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
The particular Chapter Quest that you drew can be VERY frustrating...since it can be hard to purposely get poisoned. I've played it twice, and it went really smooth the first time...and failed the 2nd time. Our 2nd time was similar to your session...an hour for that damn quest is frustratingly tedious.

You could always do like us and just keep playing through the story without focusing on that quest. We gave it the ol' college try (to get hit) while there were crawlers out, but we didn't pull our punches either. Not a one of them poisoned us.

We effectively gave up and kept on going - and then a stalker (crawler captain) spawned due to a darkness card a couple tiles later and I believe they auto-poison. It would have been easy, but our (young) archer got over-excited and killed the stalker before it could hit anyone. We just shrugged and eventually didn't bother with the quest. I don't think the reward is that great. Even if it was... your characters and treasure bag get maxed out with surprising ease, so no biggie to skip this quest. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.