Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Hanabi» Forums » General

Subject: Played our First game - 2p and got 23, next game 25 points - Too easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to check in to make sure we weren't playing wrong or something - but the game seemed incredibly easy. The next game we played we scored 25 without any issues. We were not playing with the multicolored suite - but wouldn't that make it easier?

Basically we only played cards we had given information about, and assumed the others could be discarded (and we only game one piece of into, either number or color, and took away a timer token each time)

Were we missing something?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine yes, but it's tough to know what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you end the game when it's supposed to? I.e., one extra round after the last card is drawn. That can make a big difference.

The multicolor suit makes it harder because it is a 6th suit (not a wildcard), but it counts as all colors for the purposes of giving clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing the cards in ascending order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lewis
United States
Cedar Falls
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you're playing it wrong or not, but I know I played it wrong for a while before I realized my mistake...

When giving a clue, you must give information about ALL of the cards that match the description. For instance, I may have the white 2, which is safe to play, and the white 4 and blue 2, which are not. You can either say "these two cards are white", indicating the white 2 and 4, or "these two cards are 2s", indicating the white and blue 2s. But you can't point out the white 2 by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When giving clues, did you make sure to always point out ALL cards that matched the particular color/number?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
worshipsf wrote:
When giving clues, did you make sure to always point out ALL cards that matched the particular color/number?

Aha! We did not do this - I'm sure there were a few times we made this mistake.

Thank you! I knew there was something weird going on =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time we played, my group did pretty well (around 22-23 points). The reason was that we were thinking out loud a lot. That gives insight to why you're making certain plays or not making them, as well as insinuating other information about what is in people's hands. It makes the game a lot easier.

I haven't tried the game with only 2 players, but I'd imagine that the rapid fire nature of clues could make it easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
PoznaƄ
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite hard to get 25 in 2 players game, but not unheard of. Definitely not in first play, though, unless you're super lucky.

Usually the deck running out is your main enemy. It also depends on cards - if you don't get decent amount of 1's at the beginning, you might as well start over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
The first time we played, my group did pretty well (around 22-23 points). The reason was that we were thinking out loud a lot. That gives insight to why you're making certain plays or not making them, as well as insinuating other information about what is in people's hands. It makes the game a lot easier.

That's a great way to get the hang of the game and synchronize your team, but it technically violates the communication rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. It was our first time and we didn't realize what we were doing until after a couple of games. Since then I've drawn a hard line on "give your clue and shut up."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Bundy
msg tools
Yes! I heard so much about this game but it seemed too easy playing it for the first time. We followed all the rules and tried to keep the tells to a minimum.

First game with 2 people and 6 colors (no wild cards), we got to 30 without getting a single strike.

Second game with 5 people and 6 colors (no wild cards), same result.

Third game with the same 5 people and we beat it again with no strikes.

I feel like we got really lucky, so we'll try this game again with no talking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qyll wrote:
First game with 2 people and 6 colors (no wild cards), we got to 30 without getting a single strike.

Second game with 5 people and 6 colors (no wild cards), same result.

Third game with the same 5 people and we beat it again with no strikes.
It's easier with 6 colors and no wild cards, but still I feel like you must have misunderstood some of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qyll wrote:

I feel like we got really lucky, so we'll try this game again with no talking.

Wait, what? What talking were you doing? That might be your error right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.