NHL Power Play Team-Building Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Known Information from Cryptozoic's Official Page for the Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
damagedirect
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Lightning Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
mbmbmb

From the official page:

Quote:

Release Date: Q4, 2014
Play as an All-Star Captain, build your ultimate team, score the most goals and win the cup!

Key Features

• Built on the easy to learn Cerberus deck-building game engine
• Great for head-to-head or multiplayer action. Only one set of rules to learn either way!
• Designed for expansion planned through NHL milestone dates
• Stream-lined game play to make accessible to NHL fans who are casual gamers

3 releases planned per season:

• Standalone playable game each October featuring 200+ cards with team updates, new skills and abilities.
• January Expansion coinciding with the NHL All-Stars Game, introduces Rookies from current season, additional players and even more skills and abilities.
• April Expansion coinciding with the start of the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, introduces additional playable Captains, more players, key trades skills and abilities

Captain your very own Pro Hockey Team in the NHL Power Play™ Team-Building Card Game! With your Captain card to guide you, put together the best team you can from names across all 30 NHL teams. Have you ever wanted to create a dream team of your favorite players? Now you can! Every card features your favorite stars of the NHL in glorious high-resolution action shots. Can you light the lamp enough times to win the game?

Compete for the best attackers, the best defenders, the best skills, and the best maneuver cards. Each card you add to your team will build upon the strategy you have chosen. Soon your team will act like a well-oiled machine and you’ll be ready to take a shot on goal. If you can beat the goalie, you score a point! The player who scores the most points wins. Games typically end with “hockey scores” like 4-3.

When you take a shot on goal, the action is tense. Before you reveal all of the tricks up your sleeve, there is a chance for defenders to interfere with your attack. The more defenders that get in your way, the harder it will be to score. After the defenders (if any) have been revealed, you play out your hand. That’s right! The defenders won’t know who’s crashing the net until after they have coordinated their defense. Now that you know what you’re up against, play your cards and see if your strategy and players were good enough to overcome the defenses and the goalie. If it is, you score!

Number of Players: 2 – 4
For Ages: 15 and up
Playing Time: 30–45 minutes

Contents Summary:

• 200+ Game Cards
• 6 Oversized Captain Cards
• Rulebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damagedirect
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've got a few close friends who are sports fans, and I've been wanting to get them into a deck-builder for a long while. I'm hoping this is the answer, and it's nice it uses the Cerberus Engine so it's just going to be slightly different from the rest of Cryptozoic's other deck-builder offerings.

Thing I'm curious about, is it only going to feature players from the sixteen teams featured on the box and the webpage? Nevermind, looking at the page, you've got the logos, but you've also got the Blackhawks player on the front. I'm sure it's a popular player, but my NHL knowledge is not strong. Anddd...looking closer at the box that's a different set of logos on the side. They have the Eastern Conference teams on the page, and the Western Conference teams on the visible edge of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
damagedirect wrote:
Thing I'm curious about, is it only going to feature players from the sixteen teams featured on the box and the webpage? Nevermind, looking at the page, you've got the logos, but you've also got the Blackhawks player on the front. I'm sure it's a popular player, but my NHL knowledge is not strong.
Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews.

I am looking forward to this, but board/card games with sports themes rarely end up succeeding in the marketplace (unless it's a sports sim that aims to reproduce the actual game results, like APBA or Strat-o-matic.) Not to mention the somewhat ambitious expansion schedule, with the 1st expansion at the All-Star break, and then another expansion when the Stanley Cup playoffs begin. The last sports board/card game I can remember actually following through with those sorts of expansion plans was MLB Showdown about a decade ago.

BUT... since the Cerberus engine is already a known commodity, and since Cryptozoic already engages in the whole "let's crank out clone games for all of our licensed properties," then maybe the odds are better than I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Johnson
United States
Dunlap
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are big hockey fans so I'm all over this, a day one buy for me. Hopefully they can keep up with the expansion schedule they've outlined. Looking forward to this for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damagedirect
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Not to mention the somewhat ambitious expansion schedule, with the 1st expansion at the All-Star break, and then another expansion when the Stanley Cup playoffs begin. The last sports board/card game I can remember actually following through with those sorts of expansion plans was MLB Showdown about a decade ago.

Yeah, I saw this and it brought flashbacks to Showdown as well. And I can't remember how many similar games had that same sort of forward-thinking schedule, and all you ever saw was the first release. I think, really, the best chance for this game to make some money in the marketplace and not push so many releases together at once would be to do yearly releases, around the time of the Stanley Cup. NHL Power Play 2015, etc.

I don't expect it to go far, but I think it might at least get these three scheduled releases out. If it does well, then more power to Cryptozoic, and more releases for us. As you said, it's another clone game with a license, so production costs are low.

That said, how compatible are all the Cerberus engine games? I know they have certain sub-engines (Cerberus: Middle Earth, Cerberus: Heroes), would this be a new sub-engine or does it look easily compatible? I'm not very familiar with the game play of them at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am super excited for this. Being that I am a huge DBG lover, and play hockey 2 times a week and also have season tickets to the Canes for 12-13 years now (yes I am well aware they suck), I am REAL excited for this.

I am looking forward to checking this out and making sure I cover the hell out of this on our show (The Geek Allstars Podcast), to try and get as much press and word on the street out about this game.

I have been hounding them nicely about getting me an early review copy so I can play it and get some reviews on the show and even some session reports out there for it too.

As for the staying power. I know sports games don't have a huge success rate, but many of them find a niche. I remember another card based game from the NHL (name escapes me) that was being sold in the Eye (the Canes team store at their arena) and it was there for quite a while and always seemed to sell. I asked the workers about it and they seemed to know about it and said they sold quite a bit. So if this is portable and affordable that could very well be a good market for them in arenas as well as people like is.

Either way I cannot wait to give it a shot, and I am looking forward to some expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damagedirect
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GeekJock wrote:

I remember another card based game from the NHL (name escapes me) that was being sold in the Eye (the Canes team store at their arena) and it was there for quite a while and always seemed to sell. I asked the workers about it and they seemed to know about it and said they sold quite a bit.

Good point, if Cryptozoic could find a way to get this game on the arena store shelves, I think it would have some staying power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damagedirect
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Any ideas on a release date? I've seen some websites listing 9/24, and I've found a distributor pdf that says "Scheduled to ship in September 2014.".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Carvalho
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I dwell in possibility
badge
Forever is composed of nows
mbmb
So this is a deck builder... I was under the impression that this was a CCG/LCG. Cautiously interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope this works out and is successful. I played Strat-O-Matic Hockey in a league for 15 years where we played all 82 games and playoffs in face to face games. We had a protection list to keep a good number of players year to year and had a 3 round draft every year and did trades as well. Lots of time invested in that and eventually it got too hard for people to commit to that much time (games were 45min to an hour each).

We'll see how this one goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Carvalho
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I dwell in possibility
badge
Forever is composed of nows
mbmb
If this game is successful, I hope they do a legends set. I need Lidstrom and Stevie Y as captain cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damagedirect
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
I played Strat-O-Matic Hockey in a league for 15 years where we played all 82 games and playoffs in face to face games.

My three friends and I are already planning our league and teams for this. I hope the game is there to back it all up.

Since it's four player, and we don't know the details (can the game end tied?), it's a simple points system:

2 pts for a Win
1 pt for a Tie
0 pt for a Loss

If there aren't ties, then 1 pt per win.

I'm also wondering if by "four players" they mean "two teams of two", they mention scores being "hockey-like" in their description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sblendorio
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
- All 30 teams are represented in the game. You will build your deck/team around 1 of 7 included Captains. Each Captain has a unique ability. However, 1 of them is an in-box first run promo, so be sure to get a copy. More Captains to come with each expansion.

- games can be played 2-4, and 2 v 2 (personal fav).

- releases late sept.

- no VPs. There are 9 goalies in the game and that's the max points to be distributed by all players per game. Beat a goalie, score a goal. The game ends when the last goalie is beaten. The player with the most goals wins. Games can end earlier if there are not enough goalies left for any one player to at least tie or if the main deck is depleted. If the main deck runs out the player in the lead wins. There are tie breakers in place but for your own leagues ties can be put in place.

- we had a blast playing demos at the NHL Draft in Philly a few weeks ago. For nearly every fan we got to the table, it was the first deck-building experience for them and was great fun to watch how quickly the game clicked. Especially with kids as young as 10. Can't wait to get it in your hands!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sblendo wrote:
There are 9 goalies in the game and that's the max points to be distributed by all players per game. Beat a goalie, score a goal. The game ends when the last goalie is beaten. The player with the most goals wins. Games can end earlier if there are not enough goalies left for any one player to at least tie or if the main deck is depleted. If the main deck runs out the player in the lead wins. There are tie breakers in place but for your own leagues ties can be put in place.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for more of a hockey simulation game, not just a card game with a hockey theme. Still sounds interesting enough to take a look, but not as convinced anymore that it would have the staying power we were hoping for.

Fingers crossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I hope this is more than just replacing villains from DC with goalies from the NHL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:
Agreed. I hope this is more than just replacing villains from DC with goalies from the NHL.

Oh god... no.... DC Heroes mixed with hockey... have we forgotten the LAST time that happened?!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damagedirect
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:

That's pretty much all I expected when I read it ran on the Cerberus Engine.

It's fine with me, the theme is all I need to convince my friends to play. They might actually branch into the other cerberus games if they enjoy this one enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
damagedirect wrote:
Ruskicowboy wrote:
That's pretty much all I expected when I read it ran on the Cerberus Engine.
It's fine with me, the theme is all I need to convince my friends to play. They might actually branch into the other cerberus games if they enjoy this one enough.

Yeah, I think the whole "DC with goalies" idea is probably correct. So either the coat of NHL paint is going to be enough for you, or it isn't.
I can totally see if that turns people off though.
The quest for a great modern hockey-themed game continues...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, total disappointment for me. Deck Building with Sports seems a natural combination, and this seems a missed opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, when I see "Team Building Card Game" All i can think of is...

http://youtu.be/AqZcYPEszN8?t=1m56s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree that this is a missed opportunity.

It's a DBG, I don't see what else it needs to be. Some goalies will be better then others, either way you are trying to use your players and your abilities/maneuvers to get high enough to score on the goalie.

The only other thing you could do is make the game all about players and less about abilities and give each team a goalie, have them try and score on each other. Problem is you will not have real scores in the end.

I happen to like the way this is working. It's service for us DBG lovers and it's service for the NHL/DBG cross over.

More importantly this will be easy enough for the casual gamers to grab and understand. Which is good in the end, it sells boxes which leads to Crypto sticking with the product and potentially coming out with more and more detailed/complicated expansions for this which could lead to something real meaty.

I just want nhl players in my DBG, it doesn't have to re-invent the wheel of DB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One example of a deck-building sports game done right (in my opinion, of course) is Baseball Highlights: 2045. I get a much more "baseball" feel from this than I would get a "hockey" feel from an engine that is so generic, it can be skinned as a Battle for Middle Earth, a Justice League free-for-all, and now a goalie shooting gallery. That's why I say it is a missed opportunity, because they didn't feel the need to think outside of the box and come up with something original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
fightcitymayor wrote:
Yeah, I think the whole "DC with goalies" idea is probably correct. So either the coat of NHL paint is going to be enough for you, or it isn't.
I can totally see if that turns people off though.
The quest for a great modern hockey-themed game continues...

It's a little more than DC with goalies. The purchase system for line-up cards is the same, but you can either buy from the line-up or take a shot on the current goalie, at which point other players can use defenseman cards to make it harder for you. It's an interesting enough mechanic, and involves the opponents in each player's turn, as opposed to in DC where a player having a really great game can almost run away with it solo.
But yes, the feel is more deckbuilding game with hockey theme, than hockey game played out through cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Cheung
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
what are you in the mood for today?
mbmbmbmbmb
looking forward to this as well!

I used to play Strato a lot but each game took a little too much time for my liking. I still bring it out now and then.

shouldn't this be out today? I see the date has changed back to 4th Quarter from October 1st on the Crypto site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François-Marie Arouet
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It indeed came out today - at least, my FLGS got copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.