Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I've completed my initial solitaire play of all six maps, I've added the British map stats to the thread "First US Map Solitaire Completed." These include hours and turns each game took, and the final victory scores. Another thing I recorded was how many and which reinforcements were rolled up for both sides. I'm wondering now whether they were 'average' or skewed results. So here is the information. I'd guess one more per side per game came up at a time when I had no empty space to receive it, and couldn't or wouldn't play a card to activate a unit that would have had to get out of the way for their arrival. In addition, I didn't note which turn they came in. This affects things too--for example, the Germans got most of their reinforcements very late at Sword Beach! Spec. Weap. Assets and Funnies are given specifically as I choose them.

In general, it seems that the Germans must throw the closest (non-beach) units in as soon as they can, giving up any defensive "second line" positions they occupy; otherwise the Allies sweep the beaches clean of defenses--and get those crucial Beach Control Points! So here are my statistics; let me know if you got different results in your games. The Allies did better in general; that sixth die seems to make a big difference--in quality as well as quantity.

American Airborne

US: 1 Para, 1 FFI, 1 Art, 1 Truck (4)

Ger: 1 Armor(1)

Utah Beach

US: 2 Inf, 1 Armor, 1 Mtr, 1 Mob Art, 1 Truck (6)

Ger: 2 Inf, 1 Armor, 1 MG, (4)

Omaha Beach

US: 2 Inf, 1 Armor, 2 Ranger, 1 Truck, 1 AT, 1 Mtr, 1 Flame Tank (9)

Ger: 6 Inf, 2 Armor (6)

Gold Beach

UK: Bobbin, Mtr (2)

Ger: 2 Inf, 1 Armor, 1 AT (4)

Juno Beach

UK: 1 Inf, 1 Mtr (2)

Ger: 1 Inf, 1 MG (2)

Sword Beach

UK: 1 Inf, 1 Mtr, 1 Mob. Art. (3)

Ger: 1 Inf, 1 Elite Inf, 1 Armor, 1 Mtr (3)

TOTAL

Allies: 26

Ger: 20

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jon

These are very interesting stats and the Allies don't appear to be too far ahead of the Axis player in number of reinforcement units despite the lower dice count for the Axis for most of the scenarios.

However, what would interest me more is; how many of the Axis reinforcements actually managed to get to the beach; particularly as you will have used up many of your movement orders sending in the units from the second defensive line first to avoid the Allies taking control of the beaches early on? I too have come to the conclusion that the second defensive line units must be sent forward as soon as possble but this leaves the bulk of the Axis reinforcements in a jam at the top of the map. Occasionaly, I have managed to get a tank unit forward by road towards the end of the battle.

If you do manage to get some of the reinforcememts to the beach I would be grateful to know your method of play.
All the best
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey David,

I guess its mostly a matter of whether or not you get them in early enough to ride them down the roads! Also, I did roll up a lot of extra On The Moves (Flags) during Reinforcement--a stat I didn't record.

After I've played through with a live opponent over the next couple of weeks (when we do two three map games; one US and one UK), maybe I'll be ready to write some kind of strategy post. I'm looking forward to sharing with everyone in that regard. The new rules and invasion/reinforcement sequences are starting to generate some new doctrine for me as a player, but its a bit too early to come up with conclusions yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jon

I very much look forward to reading your report when you are ready to publish.

Cheers
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I've got the three US maps set up all together for the first time side by side, it strikes me that the Germans now have more Big Gun artillery options. The Pointe du Hoc battery on Utah can reach over to the Omaha board, and the American Airborne battery near the connecting causeways over to Utah. The Germans are even more obviously thinner on the ground at start, but have more options to cross reinforcements over to a neigboring map. The bottom of the Airborne map becomes even more useful to dispute the causeways between that and Utah. I've found it useful to actually place cardboard Ford rectangles on the map, as they are harder to notice than the Bridges as preprinted terrain pieces. My first discovery of the Ford at the bottom of the Airborne map was quite a shock as I first played that map, and realized that this was a German mustering area! Ach du Lieber, Mein Herr!

As for manning the maps with one guy's toys, along with M44 Armor the Memoir 44 Equipment Pack models for special units and other non-Infantry types cover everything except one Big Gun on all the maps. The infantry is a different type on each board: Omaha--Axis and Allies D-Day (and a few from the original game), Utah--Memoir 44, American Airborne--i]Axis and Allies Land Minis[/i]. I have a few possible reinforcement units for each type for either side standing by! This will also help track which board a side's units started on, so I can think post game about which ended up crossing map borders.

I recall that the US had some good initial card draws in my previous solitaire games. The Germans did far less well in my first solitaires against the individual Commonwealth maps, so we'll see what this second round brings. Tomorrow/Friday will be the game, and possibly next week we'll do the same for the British beaches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting point about the big guns having the capability of firing across the various maps. Without putting the maps together to check I recall that the Allies would also have a number of Destroyers which could move between maps as a small fleet in a six-map game. The ships would provide a counter the big guns. Perhaps plenty of long range duelling?

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha--good thinking. There is one Destroyer on each of the US beach maps. Would the US Navy support British troops at the cost of their own? Well, there's nothing preventing it in the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.