Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are frequently threads from people who are worried about the ratings of games being tainted, whether by alleged astro-turfing (OH NOES LOOK AT ALL THE BGGNEWUSERS/NON-AVATAR 10s!) or people rating a game without playing it or what have you...

Frankly, I find these threads tedious and obnoxious, and I don't see what purpose they serve. Literally nothing will ever come of one of these threads, except a bunch of nosy people gnashing teeth. Ratings aren't going to be changed or removed.

I feel like this issue could be avoided entirely if BGG simply didn't show specifically who gave a game what rating. You could still see how a user rated a game if you're looking at that user specifically, but you couldn't see the identity of everyone at once who rated a particular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I think there may be some use here. If I scan the ratings for a game, I'll see how people I know have rated it, without having to search by user.

I've also been contacted by designers who asked why I rated their game so low. While one was obnoxious about it, the other genuinely appreciated the feedback, and I thought it was a productive exchange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the site didn't show who rated what, the shilling would get worse.

I prefer seeing who rated. It gives me a lot of info when I remember the name of the rater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having less transparency instead of more is very rarely a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can ignore complaints. Attributing who commented/rated is useful for multiple reasons, including discovering users with with preferences that help guide you to other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reference: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1205681/does-anyone-else...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is indeed the most recent thread I've seen in which this has happened, but I see it relatively frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a terrible idea. Going through a game's ratings and comments is one of the more useful thing for a lot of users here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
There are frequently threads from people who are worried about the ratings of games being tainted, whether by alleged astro-turfing (OH NOES LOOK AT ALL THE BGGNEWUSERS/NON-AVATAR 10s!) or people rating a game without playing it or what have you...

Frankly, I find these threads tedious and obnoxious, and I don't see what purpose they serve. Literally nothing will ever come of one of these threads, except a bunch of nosy people gnashing teeth. Ratings aren't going to be changed or removed.

I feel like this issue could be avoided entirely if BGG simply didn't show specifically who gave a game what rating. You could still see how a user rated a game if you're looking at that user specifically, but you couldn't see the identity of everyone at once who rated a particular game.

Ian, usually I agree with you but not in this case (sorry to pile on, too). Ratings, at least in large numbers, do have an impact on how conspicuous the profile game has on this site; they matter to that degree, like it or not. A basic level of accountability about one's rating - which amounts to at least a willingness not to avoid being associated with it - is the least that can be expected for a community acting in good faith. Indeed I have seen users retract ratings when they have been asked about what seemed like a 1 or a 10 given for petty reasons. Those users can also ignore a question if it ever comes up, too. I think your best bet is yourself to ignore the threads that annoy you, incluing the ones you mention. Speaking for myself, I find seeing the kind of community a game attracts toward the high, medium and low ratings to be a terrific aid in understanding whether or not I would like it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.