Subject: Games with GEMS! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben B
United States
Yakima
Washington
flag msg tools
I have always been intrigued by stones, minerals, gems, and precious metals. So, I would really like to find some games with gems that also suit my interests and preferences.

I would prefer the games to have tangible gem pieces, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Most games are played by my wife and me. We generally like shorter card games (Parade, Archaeology: TCG, Splendor, For Sale - 2P variant), dice games (Ra: TDG, Farkle), or light-ish Euro games (Stone Age, Finca, Takenoko). I am considering getting into a more medium weight game as well, and abstract suggestions are always welcome.

Games I already own:

-Splendor: I like the chips and their weight, but, for the price, I would have liked to see some gem pieces.
-Crows: This has gem-like pieces (one per player) that are also known as "shiny objects" for attracting crows to your area. I haven't punched/played this one yet (and I'm not sure if I should with just 2 players).

Games I'm considering:

-Incan Gold: This looks like it might be a fun group game, but it could be too simple.
-Istanbul: I don't know too much about this one other than it has an abundance of red gems (though I do wish they varied in color).
-Gold Nuggets: This comes with a bunch of yellow-gold pieces that look really cool. The game looks very simple and possibly boring. The only reason it appeals to me is the components.

That's all I've got! I would really appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Niagara (check my review: http://boardgamegeek.com/video/39531/niagara/hbg-niagara-rev... )

and Escape: The Curse of the Temple come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Zavandor games (The Scepter of Zavandor, The Mines of Zavandor and The Gnomes of Zavandor) all involve gaining gems of different kinds but none of them use gem-shaped pieces (just cards and tokens with gems on). The Mines of Zavandor may the best fit weight-wise but is generally considered better with four players than with two (though I think there is a 2-player variant which allows use of all the cards that are excluded in the standard game).

Caverna: The Cave Farmers has the same ruby components that are in Istanbul and also has some similar black components representing ore. These components are just two of many resources and are not really central to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
Francis Drake has gems to loot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Olcese
Argentina
Córdoba
Córdoba
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavum, the objective is to collect precious stones, digging tunnels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Livingstone - Light euro with a neat dice selection mechanism. Part of the game involves digging for gems of different values (selecting at random from a bag). The gems are of nice quality and the game is dirt cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george jaycock
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knitzia's 'Dragon Land' is full of gems to collect, and a pretty good game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyrium has little spyrum crystals and is a great lighter weight Euro game.

Also:
Gem Rush uses gems (they're cards though). You're a dwarf mining for gems. Pretty fun game, quite rules light and plays pretty quickly. Also has cooperative and competitive modes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragonmaster - the OG of gem games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indigo - you move the gems around in the hope to obtain them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dig Down Dwarf will come with 39 gem pieces in 6 colours, in fact they're the main components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gem Rush - can be played competitively, coop, or solo (we prefer coop). Gems are art on the cards, but they're pretty cool looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a new trick taking game coming out in August called Diamonds. I believe you score points for plastic gems which can either be sequestered in a vault, or stolen by other players.

It looks really fun, and I'm definitely going to pick one up!

Also if you light light bidding games, I think Sultan also has gem pieces for people to bid on. You score points for sets of the same color gems. Pretty light, and gems galore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charon Inc. have lotsa gems
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Storm of Souls. Deckbuilding game. Uses gems to track victory points. Not sure if the other Ascension iterations do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Games What Have Those Little Plastic Crystals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastiqa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Day
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Valdora. Valdora Extra tightens up the game for two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benchilada wrote:
I have always been intrigued by stones, minerals, gems, and precious metals. So, I would really like to find some games with gems that also suit my interests and preferences.

Since you already own the (overrated) Splendor, I'll skip it right away and go with:

Escape: The Curse of the Temple

Ubongo

Caverna: The Cave Farmers

Jaipur

Edel, Stein & Reich

Bazaar

And the King of gem games:

Master Thieves

Keep in mind that the importance/focus on the gem aspect of the mentioned games varies with each game, meaning that I just listed every game featuring gems I know about.

About your interest in natural resources, you might also be interested in:

E Coal Baron

E One of the later (the latest ?) expansions of Alien Frontiers also deals with ore gathered from asteroids.

Have fun and sparkling eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lolcese wrote:
Cavum, the objective is to collect precious stones, digging tunnels.

+1 for Cavum

I really enjoyed this game.

You dig tunnels and 'find' gem mines, mine the gems, then use them to fill jewelry orders. The gemstones are on cardboard tokens, so you can hide what you've collected (by flipping them face down) but you could substitute the little gemstones if you'd prefer those.

Here's a game in progess, with lots of tunnels and mines constructed:

And here's a player's area at the start of a turn, showing the jewelry orders they're trying to get the gemstones to fulfill:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubongo 3D also has gems!! Love this game thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walker
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sultan- I just picked this one up, but haven't tried it out yet. It's a blind bidding/set collection game. It does use little plastic colored gems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Ann Harrison
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is a bit of a stretch, but Compounded uses little gem-like pieces to represent chemical elements, and then you use them to make compounds. Some elements are minerals, and some compounds are too. So, if you're interested in the science behind minerals, you might like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ys, one of my favorite, older games from Ystari. If you can, get the 5th player expansion (with other components as well), Ys+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's gems you want take a look at Bejeweled, a boardgame based on the videogame of the same name. My wife and I enjoy this quick and easy one and the gems are plentiful, big and shiny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.