Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
Does spending a spur at the start of a turn affect how many blue dice are rolled in a horse/cattle challenge? If the answer is "yes", does the spur have to be spent before rolling the red dice, or just before starting the horse/cattle challenge?

After re-reading the rules this weekend while playing two games of Spurs at Reunicon (a reunion/convention of old college friends), it's clear that spending a spur at the start of a turn affects the Riding skill (red dice) for the rest of that turn. Since the horse/cattle challenges say to roll dice equal to your Riding skill, I would think you would get an extra blue die for each spur that you spent prior to rolling your red dice for movement. If you didn't spend the spur before rolling the red dice for movement, then I don't think you could spend a spur right before rolling the blue dice to add more blue dice. But I'd like to hear from Sean/Ole if my assessment is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Matt,

"Yes", spending a Spur does allow you to add a blue Riding die.
Justification: Throughout the rulebook, the red dice are called, "Movement Dice"*, and the blue dice are called, "Riding Dice". The SPURS paragraph on pg 10 says, "Spurs discarded at the beginning of your turn, give you an extra Riding Die... they simply boost everything you do this turn..."

And to your second question, yes you can wait to spend the Spur till just BEFORE rolling the dice (if you're goal is to add dice that is - more on this later).
Justification: Again, from pg 10: "You may discard Spurs at the beginning of any step in your turn BEFORE you start drawing or rolling dice. The boosting effect lasts for the remainder of your turn."

So the bottom line is that, any performance boosts gained by spending a Spur aren't realized till AFTER the Spur is discarded, and as long as the discard happens BEFORE the subject movement, action, or dice rolling begins. It doesn't matter when the Spur is discarded for the above to be true, and the performance boost remains effective for the rest of the turn.

OK, there is one exception to all the above, and it applies to dice rolling... for both red and blue dice... instead of discarding a Spur before the dice roll, you can wait till seeing the result and spend a Spur after the roll. Doing so allows you to re-roll one of the results per Spur discarded. And contrary to the previous Spur performance boost, this re-roll boost is one-time use and is not available for the remainder of the turn.
Justification: Pg 10: "... you may use a Spur to reroll a Red or Blue Riding [sic] Die result after you roll.

I'm crossing my fingers that I got all that correct!

* Except on pg 10, the red dice are referred to as, "Riding Dice", though I assume it's supposed to read, "Movement Dice" (as it specifically addresses moving in Step 2). Another one for a future Errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.