Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dice or Die
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MiniatureMarket has Courtier on sale for $17 today. Seems to be a fairly good deal when compared elsewhere.

Having never played the game myself I can't say if it's worthwhile or not, it does get a 6.77 Avg rating though.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/aeg5101.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hammen
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well worth it at this price. Area Control, but over people and different parts of the royal court, instead of over land. Amazing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ramirez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipped mine off in a recent math trade. Had a lot going for it and I really wanted to like the game. Every game I played seemed to have a snowball effect, and there was always a huge blowout. It's the only game that my girlfriend flat-out refused to play.

I feel like the game had an identity crisis... it was more complicated that DuBarry's Revolution, but not as complicated as, say, Dominare. Felt too long for what it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
fwiw regular price at sci fi city is $19.99 at sci fi city so savings of $3...

BG rank is ~ 1,500

fwiw the 4 of my geek buds who have rated it actually give a higher average rating of 7.0 ... individual ratings of 8.5 (this guy tends to over rate so should discount some), 7, 6.5 and 6

also fwiw it's usually helpful to have a link to bgg's game page ...

Courtier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Wolf
United States
Lenoir City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvdhwkaz wrote:
Shipped mine off in a recent math trade. Had a lot going for it and I really wanted to like the game. Every game I played seemed to have a snowball effect, and there was always a huge blowout. It's the only game that my girlfriend flat-out refused to play.

I feel like the game had an identity crisis... it was more complicated that DuBarry's Revolution, but not as complicated as, say, Dominare. Felt too long for what it was.

I like Courtier, but I can't disagree. It feels like there's a strong element of chaos that makes it hard to think too far ahead. You either like that or you don't, and there's more interesting area control games out there for those who don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robot romeo
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Courtier, and thoroughly enjoy it. I think it is because,as Joe said, an area control game with people instead of land. That's so much more interesting to me. And at 3 people it can be fairly quick, under an hour. The components are good quality too. And best of all, the insert holds sleeved cards without modification. That's worth the price alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is certainly the best of the AEG "Tempest" board games (not including Love Letter.) Dominare would take that title but it scales upward so very hideously. Courtier is still good chaotic fun at the full compliment of players...in fact, it's not all that great with just the two, the opposite problem, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.