Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James K
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
mb
I am playing overlord for the first time with the Valyndra Lt. I ended up using Mine All Mine on the first quest since the heroes had not grabbed any search cards and I had downed someone to get a threat (so ended with 6 total threat).

My question is, should I always take threat first over an overload card? or an overload card and then maybe threat if I can down the same hero again?

I am using the basic II deck and going warload

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Like anything, it depends. I'd actually say that the average value of an Overlord card is higher than the average value of a 1-threat card. But it'll swing even further in that direction if you don't get threat and invest in new plot cards.

As a general rule, I'll take threat if I'm feeling confident and want to be able to buy plot cards for more options in future quests. I'll take the Overlord card if I need to focus on actually winning this current quest.

But of course, that's over-ridden by if I know the Overlord cards left in my deck are unlikely to be helpful, or I need the threat to activate a plot card that would be really helpful in the current situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play similar way to Dean...

Also if you are sure you are going to lose the quest either way then go for Threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most good game mechanics, Threat provides a choice, and that choice should not be obvious in all situations. You should not always take threat. You should also not never take threat. You should take threat when you deem the situation appropriate, and take an overlord card when that would benefit you more than threat. It's up to you to decide when that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James K
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, I was curious what others thought since the last quest i think i knocked out 2 heroes each twice and only took 1 threat. And this kinda sucks since i am sitting on two cards for the second half of the quest with a scout that can make me discard overlord cards. Though i did win the first half even with me being rushed during setup so i forgot the mage just got blast so turn 1 he wiped out my goblin witchers conpletely from the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I approach it as above, but also depending on what I have access to. My OL deck is Warlord so I'll usually look for one or two movement restriction cards as well as a couple of attack enabling cards. If I'm sitting on a good mix of four or five OL cards, I'll almost always go for threat. As others have said, it just depends on the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As everyone else has said, there is no such thing as always. But absent believing a card might swing the quest one way or another, I'll take the threat. With Valyndra, 2 threat to add 2 health and make a monster group immune to pierce for the whole quest? Find 2 OL cards that does that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.