Jordan Quackenbush
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Pardon the long subject, couldn't think of the right word. I've searched around for this, came up with nothing.

Essentially, my company is changing office locations and I'll be sharing space with one of my workmates who likes to game as well. We're wanting to keep up a board game or two in our office. We like the idea of chess, since we can play it long-term and don't have to be at the table at the same time. We'd like ideas for other games that can be played in the long-term and don't require both players to be present at the same time.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy E
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you like abstract strategy games, take a look at Arimaa and The Duke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Ann Harrison
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious
Blokus
Fire and Ice
Columns
Cathedral
YINSH
The Duke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Stang
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JQuacker wrote:
Pardon the long subject, couldn't think of the right word. I've searched around for this, came up with nothing.

Essentially, my company is changing office locations and I'll be sharing space with one of my workmates who likes to game as well. We're wanting to keep up a board game or two in our office. We like the idea of chess, since we can play it long-term and don't have to be at the table at the same time. We'd like ideas for other games that can be played in the long-term and don't require both players to be present at the same time.

Thanks!

JQuacker:

You might want to take a peak at www.yucata.com and http://www.boiteajeux.net/ . Those sites have a pretty nice selection of (primarily euro-style) games that can be played in a non-real time, "play by mail", style. I've only started using them recently, and I've been enjoying playing several games simultaneously with remote friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JQuacker wrote:

Thanks!

I kinda know what you mean; I've seen a couple of places as a very young boy where the chess board is just left out in a public spot (office hallway, church nave) and passers-by are free to make a move. There's usually a "coin" with a different color on each side to indicate whose turn it is, and in one case, there was a notepad to write down the move (so people can reconstruct the moves if the board gets messed up)

Wikipedia has an entry for correspondence chess, but this is really far more casual since just about anyone can make a move.

That said, I think that any other game would need those tracking mechanisms to qualify for this kind of "public/open board" game. You'd want something to indicate whose turn it is, and you'd want something to record what the prior moves were. Technically, if you have the latter, you'll probably have the former.

Personally, I'd want a heavy, meaty game if I'm going to "prolong" the gameplay over weeks. So some kind of heavy wargame would be the ideal for me. I can almost imagine having a big table set up at a dormitory, and getting the players together on "opening night" to introduce the scenario and make sure everyone knows the rules. Then over the week, players are free to make their moves. At the end of the week, everyone can meet again to review the week's results, resolve any issues, and make sure the game is in ready to continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Quackenbush
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Thanks all for the recommendations; of them all, Blokus seems the most interesting that doesn't appear to be somewhat similar to chess (and the only one I'm familiar with).

The online ones are interesting, but I'm definitely wanting something tactile. We both use computers all day long, so it'll be a nice change of pace, plus it'll look awesome when clients come over. Prideful? Perhaps ;-)

Struv pretty much encapsulates my thoughts now, after seeing how a lot of the things are more chess-like. A larger-scale wargame, or something even to the scale of Settlers of Catan would be pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sataranji
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
danwojciechowski wrote:
You might want to take a peak at www.yucata.com...

Actually it's http://www.yucata.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sataranji wrote:
danwojciechowski wrote:
You might want to take a peak at www.yucata.com...

Actually it's http://www.yucata.de

Oops. blush Thanks for the correction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I used to do this with Mr. Jack. We kept it in the dining room. I work at home, so when I'd go downstairs for a snack or something, I'd make a move. Then when she'd have a free moment, she'd make her move.

For Hive, I thought it would be cool to make a version of it with magnets that could be stuck on a refrigerator. Then when someone goes to the refrigerator to get a drink, they could make their move. I have a spare wooden set to do this, but have never gotten around to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.