Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that as hard as I try to teach games, there's always some rule that I don't explain because I take it for granted. The idea that someone might try to play a move that breaks that rule never even occurs to me.

For example, we played Trajan last night, and at a certain point a player wanted to reallocate a legionnaire from one province to another. For those who don't play Trajan, once you assign a legionnaire to a province it stays there forever, so you always have to assign a new legionnaire from the military camp to any new province. Well, we hadn't explicitly stated the rule that a legionnaire, once assigned, never moves in our rules explanation. And the blue player had hatched a plan where he would move his legionnaire from a 10 point region to claim another region, and thus be able to come back and take over the 10 point region again.

I felt really bad when we had to explain to him that that wasn't allowed. But honestly, the person who was explaining the rules hadn't thought to mention it and I was trying to catch him on anything he forgot, and I never thought twice about it either. I don't think it caused a big problem, as the player was able to adjust and do something else, but we were just lucky it wasn't a real issue.

So what rules have you forgotten to teach because you took them for granted? And what do you do when you get halfway through a game and someone's plan is ruined because a rule wasn't explained? What if their whole strategy was based on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Most points wins"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis and Allies (original game)

Rule: Russia should only purchase infantry on its first couple of turns.

Invariably I forget to say this during the rules explanation and Russia does something stupid like buy tanks, a battleship (I saw it happen... oops!) or technology rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in some ways that's almost inevitable the first time you play. When I teach I don't include every single rule and possible circumstance, simply because it's overwhelming and confusing.

I do think that the first time you play, the player has some responsibility to see if they can do something that seems too good to be true before they make all their plans around this seeming loophole that no one else is taking advantage of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps similarly to your Trajan example, I keep forgetting to mention, when teaching Mage Knight, that you can't move without playing Move points. And that pieces in Tash-Kalar can't move unless an effect explicitly moves them. I sense a theme...

When teaching anything with a deckbuilding element, I often forget to say "you discard the rest of your hand at the end of each turn", even if I know I'm teaching people who haven't played a deckbuilder before. That one generally gets ironed out on the first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule I take for granted is "Don't cheat." If you're allowed to cheat, then I make sure to mention it in the learning/rules explanation process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the rules teacher has to say everything that is not allowed in the game. I haven't played this particular game, but if you say "you can assign a legionnaire from your reserve to a province", it's the player's fault to assume that he can move legionnaires. He is the one taking a rule for granted, not you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Place the board in the middle of the table where all players can reach."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The resistance in The Resistance have to play pass. I always feel like this one goes without saying, but its apparently a game changer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
Axis and Allies (original game)

Rule: Russia should only purchase infantry on its first couple of turns.

Invariably I forget to say this during the rules explanation and Russia does something stupid like buy tanks, a battleship (I saw it happen... oops!) or technology rolls.

That's not a rule. It's part of a strategy. If it were a rule, then purchasing tanks and battleships would be disallowed anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think I ever explained exactly how the dice work in combat in Descent 2nd ed , I never went over the fact that every heart rolled (dmg) deals one damage minus the amount of shields rolled in the defense roll.

I did explain the surges though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Morgan
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realise this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually explain everything. I even start usually with: It's a victory point game, so whoever has most VP at the end of the game wins. The game ends after/when...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just last night -- we were playing Dixit with some out-of-town family. It's a pretty simple game, and it didn't occur to me to say you can't vote for your own picture to score a point. We had to make that clarification mid-game. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Tribune, if you run out of enough cards to reset the board....bad things happen. Normally I neglect this because I've never, in several dozen+ plays, even come close. Then, one 5 player game, one player is just hoarding cards. I mention this rule, with the caveat that it had never happened before. He complains that if it happens, he'll flip the table and rage quit, so I offer to either let him bow out, play his cards, or start over.

Now, I don't even go into details, I just say..."bad things happen, to everybody." devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Singleton
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
I usually explain everything. I even start usually with: It's a victory point game, so whoever has most VP at the end of the game wins. The game ends after/when...

My rules explanations are very similar:

1) Here's how to win (e.g., "Gain the most VP")
2) Here's when the game ends (e.g., "After 10 rounds")
3) Here's how to achieve those win conditions (e.g., "Get VP by selling items and trading goods; also buildings")
4) Here's how to do all those things in step #3.
5) Everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you call an assassin's bluff wrong in Coup, two of your characters die, not just one. Keep forgetting to tell people -_-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sgt stiffler
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Brass there's a rule in which you can give up 2 of your cards to build in any city. I reminded people in the middle of a game once, when it seemed as though they were struggling on what to do during their turn. It's a rule that I'm pretty sure I told them before we started playing, but as anyone who's played Brass before knows, there's ALOT going on. The players were ticked I supposedly didn't tell them this, as they said their entire strategy would have changed. Anyway, that's a specific example I have of taking a rule for granted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"All information is open." I often miss rules that say something is hidden information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
You never told me that rule! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always forget to tell people that you can discard a card for 3 gold in 7 Wonders.

Pete (hates doing it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I always forget to tell people that you can discard a card for 3 gold in 7 Wonders.

I forget this rule all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the other end of this discussion - the new player to whom rules are being explained. I'm not stupid, but I miss things during the explanation and almost never do well on my first play of any game, even something as simple as Cinque Terre. I didn't understand that I had to complete the one card that was dealt to me at the beginning of the game. Instead I kept delivering goods to the places where the dice showed the highest numbers. I surged ahead during the early stages of the game but lost miserably at the end because I hadn't completed any cards.

I use the first play as a teaching game for myself. I know I'll come in last, but it's okay. I'll do much better the second time through because actually playing the game has taught me the rules, even those rules the teacher forgot to mention until a situation occurred mid-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Place the board in the middle of the table where all players can reach."...nice.

I saw a great geeklist on here some time ago about 'unspoken/obvious rules'... It said things like 'place board on flat surface, not on the wall', and 'when a dice is rolled, the 'result' is the number shown on the top of the dice', not one of the sides'...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godthedj wrote:
"Place the board in the middle of the table where all players can reach."...nice.

I saw a great geeklist on here some time ago about 'unspoken/obvious rules'... It said things like 'place board on flat surface, not on the wall', and 'when a dice is rolled, the 'result' is the number shown on the top of the dice', not one of the sides'...

I have some D4 dice that are very different. On a couple, the number at the top of the pyramid (on all 3 sides) is the number rolled. On others, the number on the bottom of the pyramid (on all 3 sides) is the number rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.