13 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Playing the game at 250 points rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Teri Litorco
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the boys of Jaded Gamercast talked about playing the game at larger sizes and how, unlike other comparable games, because of the numerous options and the scalability of the game, the game plays fantastically at the larger points sizes.

I'm going to be trying it myself this week but their reasoning for it was pretty interesting.

Anyways, check out the podcast because it's quite fantastic (but I'm likely very very bias).

http://jadedgamercast.com/2014/07/20/episode-185-got-that-fi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never gone up to 250 points, but we have done it at 200. It is pretty fun. The game can take a while though, especially the building. Its worth the time though. Has a different dynamic than smaller fleet sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did a multiplayer game that was 1000 points a side a while back. It was a lot of fun and changed a lot of things about the game. The biggest thing that made a lot of the difference was that we played on a larger table as well, which meant that it took time to reinforce certain areas of the map that needed help. It also gave less maneuverable ships some running room to get out and turn around, as well as letting some of the fast ships out there really shine and make use of those high numbered templates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
Never gone up to 250 points, but we have done it at 200. It is pretty fun. The game can take a while though, especially the building. Its worth the time though. Has a different dynamic than smaller fleet sizes.

They were saying it takes less than 2 hours to complete the game in 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatTeriGirl wrote:

Time paradox, anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bha!

What I intended to say was: It took less than 2 hours to complete the game.

They still played on the 3x3 which keept things engaged and compact with really helps keep the spent time from going totally nutso.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol I love the part about collective scenario where he was like "I did everything right" yet the very first thing he did was split his ships which was the only thing that made it possible for the BCT to only hurt him >.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
300+ is where this game really shines. More points, bigger table, more terrain all lead to a more fun. When you get into larger games all of the shenanigans go out the window. Who cares if have Picard or Weyoun conditional surrender, there are 6 ships that have them target locked. Maneuvering actually matters when you get into bigger games. Having to rush ships to another part of the board to keep a flank from crumbling is what is awsome.

Something like this...

Starts to shake up after a few turns.

That was 600 points and about 18 ships a side. It took us a while to play but was awsome. It really feels like a fleet game when you get 7+ ships on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
ThatTeriGirl wrote:

Time paradox, anyone?

This is what happens when you put instant coffee in the microwave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
300+ is where this game really shines. More points, bigger table, more terrain all lead to a more fun. When you get into larger games all of the shenanigans go out the window. Who cares if have Picard or Weyoun conditional surrender, there are 6 ships that have them target locked. Maneuvering actually matters when you get into bigger games. Having to rush ships to another part of the board to keep a flank from crumbling is what is awsome.

Something like this...

Starts to shake up after a few turns.

That was 600 points and about 18 ships a side. It took us a while to play but was awsome. It really feels like a fleet game when you get 7+ ships on the table.

That looks awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
red mage
msg tools
Maneuvering is always the most important part of the game, but I agree that when you have 7 or more ships on the table, it can be a show-stopper. The amount of actions lost when the opposing fleet in a 400 point game bumps itself is devastating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the key to playing larger games is to organize your fleet into smaller squadrons. I played in a game where I ran a 200 point fleet, but that was broken down into two, 100 point build squadrons. Even though I was pretty new at that point, I was still able to manage 5 ships pretty easily by keeping them in a three ship and a two ship formation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Anyone have trouble with people taking a long time picking their maneuvers? Seems like you could over analyze... though a good solution would be a 60 second timer once you're finished you can flip it and your opponent has that amount of time to finish... probably not needed though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.