Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a nasty Diplomacy type game, but with a much shorter playing time. Which one do you prefer and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted I've never played Lifeboats but I do love Intrigue. It is such a brilliant yet simple design that is purely about negotiation. The deals are always one-on-one and only the player involved are allowed to talk, so the game doesn't degenerate into a shouting fest. Of course, the deals are never binding which makes it that much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned both in the past and ended up letting Lifeboats go. The lack of hard bargaining currency sinks it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lifeboats tends to end up with opposing blocs. Intrigue is 50x more vicious and conniving. It's also a fraction of the size to store and carry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
...I paid 100 GeekGold for THIS?
mbmbmb
Intrigue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigue by miles. Even better if you have the older version with 5 jobs instead of the revised down 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lee
Switzerland
Zurich City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and they feel enough different to me to keep them both.

Main difference apart from the already mentioned is imo that in Intrigue you are making the nasty move and are personally responsible while in Lifeboat the group decided who's going to take a bath.

If I would need to get rid of one, I would keep Intrigue, because it feels just a bit more viciousdevil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Lifeboat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.