Levi Petty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
As anybody who owns Hinterlands is aware, many cards from this expansion do stuff when you gain them or when you buy them, not just when you play them. So I was wondering: How much would these cards cost without these special on-buy/on-gain abilities? Some cards can be ignored, since, without their on-buy/gain abilities, they're exact duplicates of another card.
Poll
How much would these cards cost if they had no on-gain/on-buy effect?
  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8+
Embassy
Farmland
Ill-Gotten Gains
Inn
Mandarin
Noble Brigand
Nomad Camp
      23 answers
Poll created by Gubump

Embassy:
+5 cards
Discard 3 cards.

When you gain this, each other player gains a Silver.
Normal Price: 5 coins
Type: Action

Farmland:
Worth 2 VP.

When you buy this, trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly 2 coins more than the trashed card.
Normal Price: 6 coins
Type: Victory

Ill-Gotten Gains:
Worth 1 coin.
When you play this, you may gain a Copper, putting it into your hand.

When you gain this, each other player gains a Curse.
Type: Treasure

Inn:
+2 cards
+2 actions
Discard 2 cards.

When you gain this, look through your discard pile(including this), reveal any number of Action cards from it, and shuffle them into your deck.

Mandarin:
+3 coins
Put a card from your hand on top of your deck.

When you gain this, put all Treasures you have in play on top of your deck in any order.

Noble Brigand:
+1 coin
When you buy this or play it, each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck, trashes a revealed Silver or Gold you choose, and discards the rest. If he didn't reveal a Treasure, he gains a Copper. You gain the trashed cards.
Normal Price: 4 coins
Type: Action-Attack

Nomad Camp:
+1 buy
+2 coins

When you gain this, put it on top of your deck.
Normal Price: 3 coins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thread. Here's my reasoning:

Embassy: $6. Given that "each other player gains a Silver" is a penalty, Embassy should be more expensive.

Farmland: n/a. Can't cost $3, as Tunnel gives 2VP and has a bonus. Can't cost $2, as Estate costs $2. So, this card can't exist.

Ill-Gotten Gains: $1. A cheaper pseudo-silver. Since though they're two coppers, $2 seems too much.

Inn: $2. It doesn't draw cards like the vanilla Village ($3) and it's a 2-card shifter. So, $2 like Hamlet and Cellar. Could also be $3, though, like Warehouse; it shifts through 2 cards (not 3), but gives +2 actions. Haven't completely made up my mind.

Mandarin: $4. Horse Traders ($4) gives +$3 by discarding 2 cards. Putting a card on the top of your deck is "equivalent" (see the penalties of Count, from Dark Ages). Putting all treasures on top-of-deck is a bonus, so Mandarin becomes cheaper.

Noble Brigand: $4. Still $4, as it's not worse than Thief.

Nomad Camp: n/a. It's Woodcutter, so $3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Petty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Picon wrote:

I sign that I haven't played the base set in a while: Woodcutter COMPLETELY slipped my mind. If I hadn't forgotten about Woodcutter, I would have excluded Nomad Camp, as well as Cache and Border Village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Picon for the most part, except that I would keep Embassy at $5. Gaining a Silver for me is usually neither a bonus nor a penalty. The Silver is just kind of there. This is especially true in Colony games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Jester
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."--George Orwell
mbmbmb
Picon wrote:
Thanks for the thread. Here's my reasoning:

Embassy: $6. Given that "each other player gains a Silver" is a penalty, Embassy should be more expensive.

Farmland: n/a. Can't cost $3, as Tunnel gives 2VP and has a bonus. Can't cost $2, as Estate costs $2. So, this card can't exist.

Ill-Gotten Gains: $1. A cheaper pseudo-silver. Since though they're two coppers, $2 seems too much.

Inn: $2. It doesn't draw cards like the vanilla Village ($3) and it's a 2-card shifter. So, $2 like Hamlet and Cellar. Could also be $3, though, like Warehouse; it shifts through 2 cards (not 3), but gives +2 actions. Haven't completely made up my mind.

Mandarin: $4. Horse Traders ($4) gives +$3 by discarding 2 cards. Putting a card on the top of your deck is "equivalent" (see the penalties of Count, from Dark Ages). Putting all treasures on top-of-deck is a bonus, so Mandarin becomes cheaper.

Noble Brigand: $4. Still $4, as it's not worse than Thief.

Embassy - 6. Giving opponents a free Silver early can be a pretty stiff penalty.

Farmland - 3. I understand this makes it strictly worse than Tunnel. C'est la vie.

Ill-Gotten Gains - 2. I think this is a solid 2; it's a Silver when you need it and supports fat-deck strategies.

Inn - 4. I think it compares favorably to Village but +2 Cards-Discard 2 Cards is stronger than +1 card more often than not. At least in conjunction with + Actions.

Mandarin - 5. 5 is a good cost for +3 coins and an action that smooths out draws.

Noble Brigand - 4. Without its when-buy, it's still better than a 3.

Edit: This whole format looks strangely familiar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zedsdead wrote:
Mandarin - 5. 5 is a good cost for +3 coins and an action that smooths out draws.

I agree with all of your assessments except this one. If top-decking a card were optional, I think $5 would be a good cost. Sometimes you'd love to top-deck a card. But more often than not, it's a penalty, and a significant one. Especially against discard attacks, it just kills your turn. I think it could probably work at $4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
For some years Inn did not have the when-gain ability. It cost $4. I didn't change it because of any issues with that card; I changed it because I wanted to do the when-gain and that was a good thing to pair it with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merudo
United States
Asheville
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Inn at $2 would be crazy cheap.

Inn is definitely better than Oasis - you get an extra card to sifter, and get an extra action instead of an extra $1.

Consider Village - you get the same +2 action, but with Inn you get sifter 2 instead of drawing 1. I'd say there are about equivalent, with sifter 2 being better in most settings.

Compare it to Warehouse, a good $3 card - you sifter one less card, but get another action instead. Again, I'd say Inn is slightly better than Warehouse.

I'd rank Inn as an excellent $3 card, and a terrible $4 one (worse than Walled Village).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.