Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Fuentes
United States
Long Island City Apt 3G
New York
flag msg tools
Hello,

Does anyone know what would need to be purchased (or moved around) to complete every Mage's starter Spellbook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Try http://www.arcanewonders.com/resources/Pre-built_Core_Set_Sp...

"We’ve brought our amazing rules team together and updated the pre-built spellbooks included in the Mage Wars rulebook. These lists are new and improved, and most importantly you can build all four of them using only the Mage Wars Core Set! Here are some of the improvements: 1) You can build all four of the Mages at the same time using just the Core Set. 2) This list includes the Apprentice Spellbooks within it, so if you’ve learned how to play the game using just the Apprentice Spellbooks, then all you have to do is update those spellbooks! 3) The mages have been optimized for flavor and strategy!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Fuentes
United States
Long Island City Apt 3G
New York
flag msg tools
Thank you for the link. This should help me compile what I need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Minutillo
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Keeping you up to date with Kickstarter Campaigns in the Tabletop Games category
badge
Keeping you up to date with Kickstarter Campaigns in the Tabletop Games category
mbmbmbmbmb
I did this analysis a while ago but it should still be good.

I have
* 1x Core Set
* 1x Spell Tome 1
* 1x Spell Tome 2
* 1x Forcemaster vs. Warlord
* 1x Conquest of Kilimanjaro
* 1x Druid vs. Necromancer

I can make ALL of the starter spell books except for those in Conquest of Kilimanjaro (of which I am only 19 cards short). I need another core to build those (or an extra 2x Spell Tome 1 and 1x Spell Tome 2 but another core is better for extra dice and mage boards etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
codermike wrote:
I did this analysis a while ago but it should still be good.

I have
* 1x Core Set
* 1x Spell Tome 1
* 1x Spell Tome 2
* 1x Forcemaster vs. Warlord
* 1x Conquest of Kilimanjaro
* 1x Druid vs. Necromancer

I can make ALL of the starter spell books except for those in Conquest of Kilimanjaro (of which I am only 19 cards short). I need another core to build those (or an extra 2x Spell Tome 1 and 1x Spell Tome 2 but another core is better for extra dice and mage boards etc.).

I think you'd also need another set of Forcemaster vs Warlord to do the Forged in Fire mages, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Fuentes
United States
Long Island City Apt 3G
New York
flag msg tools
Assuming you have one of everything, you would need one more core and one more FvW? Would you be able to replace the missing cards for something similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gkitnnek wrote:
Assuming you have one of everything, you would need one more core and one more FvW? Would you be able to replace the missing cards for something similar?

Standard Bearer is the real problem. There's only 1 copy in FvW (they don't do that any longer) and has no real substitute.

That said, everyone should buy a 2nd FvW before a second of anything but core, just for the Iron Golems...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice if AW could release a Tome just with those cards needed to build Kumanjuro and Forged in Fire mages without having to take from existing builds...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Fuentes
United States
Long Island City Apt 3G
New York
flag msg tools
A whole set for one card is a bit much at least there is only that one and not a whole bunch to interchange. Thumbs up for more spell tomes and cards and anything else coming out for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rokkon wrote:
It would be nice if AW could release a Tome just with those cards needed to build Kumanjuro and Forged in Fire mages without having to take from existing builds...

It would be, although I'm not sure how well it would sell.

As someone who keeps lots spellbooks going I long for a spell tome that just has many copies of a few constantly used cards (Dispel, Dissolve, Teleport, Dragonscale Hauberk, Battleforge, Jinx, Nullify, etc).

It's horses for courses, but I so wish Mage Wars was a CCG, not an LCG. Whilst the LCG model makes it easy to get all the 'rares', it makes it impossible to get enough 'commons'.

As a compromise I'd love every new mage to come with 1-2 of each of those. I'd much rather that than all new spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
rokkon wrote:

As someone who keeps lots spellbooks going I long for a spell tome that just has many copies of a few constantly used cards (Dispel, Dissolve, Teleport, Dragonscale Hauberk, Battleforge, Jinx, Nullify, etc).

It's horses for courses, but I so wish Mage Wars was a CCG, not an LCG. Whilst the LCG model makes it easy to get all the 'rares', it makes it impossible to get enough 'commons'.

As a compromise I'd love every new mage to come with 1-2 of each of those. I'd much rather that than all new spells.

Yes, I never meant just for a single copy of cards, but more for the most commonly used and useful cards as well. (Especially in expansions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
rokkon wrote:
Kelanen wrote:
rokkon wrote:

Yes, I never meant just for a single copy of cards, but more for the most commonly used and useful cards as well. (Especially in expansions).

I'd like that too. You also don't want to 'trade' cards with other people because then you technically wouldn't have all the cards from X (main set, DvN, etc).

I think a nice $10-$15 pack of commonly used cards would be a great add on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Fuentes
United States
Long Island City Apt 3G
New York
flag msg tools
I second that one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a game that lends itself well to putting one or two proxies in a spell book for dispel or teleport or spells like that if you are short. Not sure how Arcane wonders feels about that, but I have 2 copies of everything that I bought so I have no problem doing that if I'm a couple of core cards short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:

Definitely agree here. I just got Forged in Fire and assembled the pre-built spellbooks last night. It took me a while, because I ran out just about all of the spells you listed above, and so had to look around for as close a substitute I could find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisgmay wrote:
I think this is a game that lends itself well to putting one or two proxies in a spell book for dispel or teleport or spells like that if you are short. Not sure how Arcane wonders feels about that, but I have 2 copies of everything that I bought so I have no problem doing that if I'm a couple of core cards short.

I have 2x core set, 2x every expansion (including FiF) and 4x Spell Tome 1, and 3x spell Tome 2.

...and I have dozens of proxies in use!

But that is a fudge not a fix. There are cards that go in almost every deck, and many of them in multiples. These need printing in a 'Common cards' Spell Tome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.