Subject: Slamming Clarification Please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new player to the game and a few questions have arisen based around slamming.

So,

1. If you start in the front arc (adjacent or many hexes away) of the target you must slam in the threat zone of that target only. Otherwise this is a sucker punch foul. Correct?

2. Therefore, starting in the rear arc and moving. As well as hitting the target in the rear arc, you can also swing around to one of the threat hexes in the front arc, and slam without penalty or fouling??

3. What is to stop a slamming guard who is adjacent to his victim (and may already have slammed for his 1st action), using his next action to slam again. Using the free run to back away 1 or 2 hexes and then drive forward again to gain the +1 for moving? Realise this would involve an evade in the front arc, but no check in the rear arc.
A Jack could do a similar thing by using its 1 move to effectively 'sidestep' and get its +1 that way?

Hope my wording makes sense!
Any help gratefully received! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
hans4rd wrote:
1. If you start in the front arc (adjacent or many hexes away) of the target you must slam in the threat zone of that target only. Otherwise this is a sucker punch foul. Correct?

Correct

Quote:
2. Therefore, starting in the rear arc and moving. As well as hitting the target in the rear arc, you can also swing around to one of the threat hexes in the front arc, and slam without penalty or fouling??

Correct

Quote:
3. What is to stop a slamming guard who is adjacent to his victim (and may already have slammed for his 1st action), using his next action to slam again. Using the free run to back away 1 or 2 hexes and then drive forward again to gain the +1 for moving?

Read the rule again. You don't get the +1 for moving. You get the +1 for not starting adjacent. If you start adjacent, you do not get the +1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much Mike, I knew I was missing something with that last one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played number 3 wrong for quite a while when I first started playing and was using Veer-Myn which made is super easy to get out and back in for the +1 dice - oops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha Ha, nice work JM, we never did it, but the question was raised! Thats what we get for doing a super fast fly past of the rule book, and putting all our faith in the dreadball academy cheat sheets I guess!

This is not the same for stealing action though, is it? They can loop round from front to back and knock it out their targets hands from rear arc, George Best style, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hans4rd wrote:
Ha Ha, nice work JM, we never did it, but the question was raised! Thats what we get for doing a super fast fly past of the rule book, and putting all our faith in the dreadball academy cheat sheets I guess!

This is not the same for stealing action though, is it? They can loop round from front to back and knock it out their targets hands from rear arc, George Best style, right?

Yeah. If you're stealing from a Striker it often doesn't make a difference as they have to dodge regardless but against Jacks it can stop you getting punched in the face (especially if they're FF/Teraton Jacks). Although positing is often a factor of where you steal from (i.e. you usually try to steal from some closer to the scoring hex and if you steal from behind then you're not in threat hexes for any subsequent actions and don't need to dodge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds logical, thanks bud. One last one that im not 100% on is: does the attempting catcher of a throw, have to be facing the thrower?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hans4rd wrote:
Sounds logical, thanks bud. One last one that im not 100% on is: does the attempting catcher of a throw, have to be facing the thrower?

Yes. The thrower must normally be in the front arc of the catcher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. May the dice gods be with you thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if you're not facing the ball then it gets launched at you and you take damage like you would from a Slam!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
200 mph gurt titanium lump in the head. Now thats gotta be critical, instant death, in anyones book eh JM!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It works pretty much exactly like a Slam (but the rules are in the Throwing bit). It does raise a point that the ball launch rules have changed so you now get hit by the ball as if it was being thrown at you from the launch (the new rules are in the S3 book).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Brown
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
hans4rd wrote:
I am new player to the game and a few questions have arisen based around slamming.

Quote:
So,

It IS a sucker punch, but that's not always a bad thing.

Quote:

Starting in a players back arc, you can end in either the front or the back. Neither is a sucker punch, and no penalties would be assigned in any event.

Quote:
3. What is to stop a slamming guard who is adjacent to his victim (and may already have slammed for his 1st action), using his next action to slam again.

Nothing prevents this, outside of action economy. Remember that when the slam wins, the slamming player choses if they want to follow up or not. Meaning you could slam into someone, push them back, not follow up, then slam them again with the momentum bonus.

Quote:
Using the free run to back away 1 or 2 hexes and then drive forward again to gain the +1 for moving?A Jack could do a similar thing by using its 1 move to effectively 'sidestep' and get its +1 that way?

I'm not sure what free run you are citing here. I believe you mean that a Guard can take a full rum action as part of a slam, and Jacks can move 1 space then do so. the momentum bonus is only if you didn't start adjacent to the target, so you would not receive it in this case.

Hope my wording makes sense!
Any help gratefully received! thumbsup

A little more exhaustive than the replies of others, but there you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All extra clarification is great in my book Joshua. Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.