Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG'ers!

Thanks in advance for your help!

What I am trying to do is basically avoid buying expansion packs that do not really have playable figures and/or cards in them. Going through Wave 0 to current are there packs that should be avoided? Which ones will give me solid options for cards and/or ships?

As a secondary question I am hoping to stick with 2-3 factions like Borg + Dominion or Borg + Klingon. Of course I do not mind purchasing outside of that for good upgrades and such. My playstyle is manuverable, flexible firing options, and offensive ships. My FAVORITE action is the battle stations action. Not in to quirks or gimicks.

Basically I do not want to waste money buying packs that don't really have strong options in them! Help!

PS. Are there any upgrades that give ships options for battle stations actions other than Picard?

PPS. Is there a database with all the cards? I found http://trek.mywargame.com/ but it's missing maneuver cards - which are important to me - and some of the newer stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd begin by sticking with the four main factions at this point: Federation, Klingon, Romulan, and Dominion. They have the most ships and options. Others are catching up, but these are the most (faction pure) playable at this point.

Federation and Dominion both have battle stations. Dominion has some hard hitting ships (Jem Hadar Battleship and Battle Cruiser) and I think Kraxon and Keldon are two of the best all around ships in the game. I am very fond of Breen battle cruisers too. Federation has tons of crew cards and iconic ships. They are a lot of fun to play.

Klingons and Romulans use cloak, so battle stations doesn't usually appear on their ships. Romulans require the most finesse, but they may be my second favorite faction (behind Dominion). Klingons have some of the best maneuverability and punch in the game.

Every ship has a particular place in the game, although some find Romulan ships to be fairly limited. I'd hold off on getting Romulan Vo and Klingon Somraw until you have other ships. Those two have very restricted cards (although Somraw is a pretty useful ship).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
BGG'ers!

What I am trying to do is basically avoid buying expansion packs that do not really have playable figures and/or cards in them. Going through Wave 0 to current are there packs that should be avoided? Which ones will give me solid options for cards and/or ships?

As a secondary question I am hoping to stick with 2-3 factions like Borg + Dominion or Borg + Klingon. Of course I do not mind purchasing outside of that for good upgrades and such. My playstyle is manuverable, flexible firing options, and offensive ships. My FAVORITE action is the battle stations action. Not in to quirks or gimicks.

Basically I do not want to waste money buying packs that don't really have strong options in them! Help!

PS. Are there any upgrades that give ships options for battle stations actions other than Picard?

PPS. Is there a database with all the cards? I found http://trek.mywargame.com/ but it's missing maneuver cards - which are important to me - and some of the newer stuff.

Card spoiler can be found here: http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/prm1b81kl2/staw_1.8.x...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thread "Going to start buying" has a lot of good information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Well, your criteria are a little conflicting (Klingons/Borg don't have BS; Dominion is generally less maneuverable; Federation has BS and solid maneuvering, but are less offensive without upgrades). That said, Federation is pretty solid all around, though they need more support with their upgrades. Klingons, on the other hand are very straight forward, and with Drex/N'garen can simulate BS. Dominion has a couple of nice ships that can take BS and don't need a whole lot of extra support with the Koranak (less maneuverable, but it has a 180 degree fire arc) and the new Battlecruiser.

jgortner wrote:

Based on your preferences, I'd stay away from many of the smaller factions for various reasons, and probably the Romulans. Probably narrows you down to Federation, Klingons, Borg and Dominion. As to what to avoid? Hard to say since there do tend to be useful cards in most packs. For Klingons, you could probably do without the Gr'oth or the Somraw for starters (though the Gr'oth naturally has BS for you). The Federation the Equinox is probably not as important, while the rest of the ships all offer something useful. Dominion you could probably do ok without picking up the Gor Portas or the Kraxon (at least to start off).

Quote:

Some. Dukat is similar to Picard as he grants a free action (but only BS or Evade). There are Klingon crew that give you BS conversions (though only for attack, not defense). Handful of others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danvan wrote:
jgortner wrote:
BGG'ers!

Card spoiler can be found here: http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/prm1b81kl2/staw_1.8.x...

I saw this too. And it's awesome. I generally prefer to look at actual cards as it seems to be easier to process for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis Wong
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you play faction pure? That will help you decide how useful certain cards will be to you. I'd stay away from buying romulans. Borg is the easiest choice - buy 1 cube and 2 spheres and you're set. For the klingons I disagree with skipping the groth and somraw. You need the groth for the projected statis field and the somraw is the cheapest ship that can actually use the PSF, so like it or not you need both in order to have a chance at taking down a borg or even a heavy federation or dominion ship.

For battlestations get yourself some flagship cards. That's the easiest way to get battlestations on any ship you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwedmon wrote:
Do you play faction pure? That will help you decide how useful certain cards will be to you. I'd stay away from buying romulans. Borg is the easiest choice - buy 1 cube and 2 spheres and you're set. For the klingons I disagree with skipping the groth and somraw. You need the groth for the projected statis field and the somraw is the cheapest ship that can actually use the PSF, so like it or not you need both in order to have a chance at taking down a borg or even a heavy federation or dominion ship.

I forgot about the Projected Stasis Field, but you don't really need it to take down large ships. A solid Klingon fleet can just bring a lot of damage and focus fire a large ship down fairly quickly.

Though the Gr'oth and the Somraw are the same cost, so both are the "cheapest" ship you can put PSF on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
Danvan wrote:

I saw this too. And it's awesome. I generally prefer to look at actual cards as it seems to be easier to process for me.

There currently is no card image database that I am aware of. I myself wouldn't mind such a thing, but as yet no one has bothered.

Some of the expansions have had previews showing most of the cards in the expansion - but the number of expansions with their own previews is not that big.

You can try youtube - there are a lot of video reviews that show cards from various expansions and what not, but as yet this information is not gathered into any one place.

I would be happy to be corrected on this thought.

DANVAN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis Wong
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The generic Groth doesn't have the tech slot you need for the PSF, you need the generic somraw for that slot. Aside from that slot the somraw is pretty useless.
yourmonkey06 wrote:
dwedmon wrote:

I forgot about the Projected Stasis Field, but you don't really need it to take down large ships. A solid Klingon fleet can just bring a lot of damage and focus fire a large ship down fairly quickly.

Though the Gr'oth and the Somraw are the same cost, so both are the "cheapest" ship you can put PSF on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, pure competitive sugggestions. For once I don't get to copy the beginner suggestion list.

For your Factions you should definitely go Borg. If you don't like "Gimmicks" you don't really need Romulan or half of the Dominion stuff. You'd Probably want to go Borg/Fed/Klingon.

Borg are the obvious go-to. 2 Spheres, 1 Cube, and 1 Soong because each ship has useful stuff.

Federation you want for star crew and Upgrades.
*Transwarp Drive, Dmitri Valtane (Excelsior)
*Cheat Death, Sulu, Scotty, and McCoy (Original Enterprise)
*Paris, Torres, and etc (Voyager)
*Superior Intellect and Khan (Reliant)

If you go the Klingon route:
*Martok, Drex, Klingon Boarding Party, and In'cha (Negh'var)
The only problem is the rest of their great upgrades are on very "meh" ships.
*Koloth, Projected Statsis, and Cyrano Jones (Gr'Oth)
*Worf, N'garen, Alexander (because you love battlesations) (Koraga)

Otherwise you can go the Dominion side.
*Dukat, Evek, Dorsal Weapons, Boheeka, Cloaking Device (Koranak. Get multiples of this)
Everything else is kind gimmicky though if that's the way you want to put it.
*Weyoun 6 and the Jem Hadar (5th Wing Patrol Ship)
*Energy Dissipator (Gor Portas)

The last thing is if you're playing standard unrestricted, the Vulcan D'Kyr will have quite a few useful cards for you as well, but again, you only need 1 and will never run a full Vulcan Fleet. Auxiliary Control Room is magnificent with Picard/Dukat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Tripp
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you click on the links to the individual ships most of them show the cards it comes with in the images.

For the dominion i would suggest the Kraxon, 2nd Division Battle Cruiser, Gor Portas. The Rav Laerst is a bit pricey but it has a couple good upgrades for the dominion. The 4th Division Battleship for the elite talent mostly but it also has a few usable cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roynaldo wrote:

For the dominion i would suggest the Kraxon

You actually meant the Koranak, I assume? Koranak is the one that comes with Dukat/Evek, has Boheeka, Dorsal Weapons Array, Captured Intelligence and the cloak -- and the 5 primary attack (with BS on the bar).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. Tucker Cobey
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He probably wants both. Kraxon is just a fantastic ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.