Hide
5 Posts

Smash Up: Science Fiction Double Feature» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stasis Field + Overgrowth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tibor Grün
msg tools
My opponent played Overgrowth on a base. Then it's my turn, and I play Stasis Field on this base. Next turn, the breaking point is set to 0 for as long as the base is still in play, even if Overgrowth would be removed later, right?

So my opponent can't score in her turn because of Stasis Field. But when it's my turn I destroy Stasis Field at the start of my turn. Then the base still has breaking point 0, so it will be scored in my turn.

Is this the correct ruling on how those two cards interact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
If overgrown is not removed than yes it is correct, the base breaks on your turn when Stasis field is removed.

If Overgrown is removed then... there is no real consensus. People have argued what happens after Overgrown "triggers" but before the base actually scores if Overgrown is removed (the most common example being the person who player Overgrown uses a card to destroy it on his next turn) with the 2 differing opinions of:

1. Overgrown is an Ongoing ability and the base is only 0 breaking while Overgrown is there

and

2. Even though Overgrown is an Ongoing ability it is treated like a 1 time triggering effect so even if Overgrown is removed the effect stays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree with J here - if Overgrowth is still on the base after the effect of Stasis Field has stopped, then the base will score on your turn.

If Overgrowth is removed, I'd say it wouldn't score unless the full breakpoint is reached, since the base will only score if Overgrowth is still there when you reach the "Check for scoring" stage of your turn (so scenario 1 as J described). I wouldn't say the 2nd eventuality would be relevant here.

Hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibor Grün
msg tools
I would argue otherwise: It says so on the text: "at the beginning of your turn, set the breaking point to 0"

It doesn't say that the breaking point changes back to something else afterwards. So I would argue, even if Overgrowth was removed, and the base did not score (because of Stasis Field), then the bases' breaking point would be 0, and it would score the next turn when it doesn't have Stasis Field attached during phase 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Mondain wrote:
I would argue otherwise: It says so on the text: "at the beginning of your turn, set the breaking point to 0"

It doesn't say that the breaking point changes back to something else afterwards. So I would argue, even if Overgrowth was removed, and the base did not score (because of Stasis Field), then the bases' breaking point would be 0, and it would score the next turn when it doesn't have Stasis Field attached during phase 3.

While this may be true, the same applies for any buff card or equivalent, eg. an ongoing effect that increases a minions power doesn't say it resets back to normal value when it's removed...

Overgrowth is also ongoing, so I'd say it would reset to normal when the card is removed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.