Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
I'm expecting this game any day now and I'm looking for some extracurricular reading on the concept, topic, or connected subject matter.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about reading, but you could try watching this:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks Kristof!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eternal Frontier by Tim Flannery. Pretty sure I learned about that book through the Megafauna games.

I thought it was a highly engaging read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is heavily dependant on how detailed you want to get. Anything from 'The Big Boys book of Dinosaurs' to a textbook on Protein Evolution. Of those two, I'd choose the kids' book - modern children's books on dinosaurs can be beautifully illustrated and include many times more dino species that were known of when I was a kid. And Protein Evolution is, believe me, none too gripping a read...

My personal preferences somewhat to the detailed side would be
The Dynamics of Dinosaurs & other extinct giants by R McNeill Alexander
The Dinosaur Heresies by Bob Bakker

However, just looking those up on Amazon I saw a whole load of newer books I haven't read... yet...

You also could do worse than look for a copy of the BBC series Walking With Dinosaurs, Walking With Beasts and Walking With Monsters. The BBC series were somewhat fictionalised, and made a lot of shaky assumptions, but are beautiful to look upon, and nowhere as anthropomorphic or sentimental as later series & movies.

Finally, if you just want to revel in the beauty of evolution and the discovery of it's secrets, you can do no better than Wonderful Life by Stephen Jay Gould (which, annoyingly, I can't find on Amazon UK), or indeed anything by Gould (although they're not all about evolution).

EDIT: Note that Wonderful Life is about a period way earlier than Megafauna. And way weirder...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
John Rogers wrote:
Thanks Kristof!

No worries, mate! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I look forward to checking out the videos in the coming weeks as well as reading the Eternal Frontier (should be here tomorrow).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jean
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
You also could do worse than look for a copy of the BBC series Walking With Dinosaurs, Walking With Beasts and Walking With Monsters. The BBC series were somewhat fictionalised, and made a lot of shaky assumptions, but are beautiful to look upon, and nowhere as anthropomorphic or sentimental as later series & movies.

The "first" two (in chronological order) are available on Netflix (at least in Canada). Thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
The Eternal Frontier by Tim Flannery. Pretty sure I learned about that book through the Megafauna games.

I thought it was a highly engaging read.

I am reading this book now and it is fabulous! Also there is an interesting article in today's Los Angeles Times on the topic called:

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/527/article/p2p-81421577/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.