Chapel Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.blacklocustgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not new to the site but I am interested and would be new to Play by Forum. Does anyone know if there is a thread related to newbies interested in playing a game by forum?

If not, can someone describe how to go about it?

Specifically:

How to find a game?

How does it work? (how do players drawing from a community deck not all draw the same card in which there should only be one card in that deck)

Are there PBF games that cater to a new crowd or, do PBF vets like/hate when a new person is in the group?

Any suggestions on a good game to start off on for PBF experience or, stay away from till you have PBF xp?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game has a 'play by forum' forum. Navigating to this is your best bet.

Example:
Battlestar Galactica 'play by forum' Forum.

Generally one person will take on the role of games master, who will facilitate the smooth/fair running of the game - often not taking part as an actual player.

Often the communities that develop will develop wee tool kits (such as images and orthodox formats) to streamline and enhance the experience.

BGG has things like a die roller built in to allow players to roll their own dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Willett
United States
Chapel Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.blacklocustgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info Liam! I am assuming it is not necessary to own the game then? Provided you have access to the rules and know how to play right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
That would really depend on the game and the level of support by the game master. I'd assume that most of the time the players own a copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Casey,

I have run five PBF campaigns for B-17: Queen of the Skies in the past three years. We flew a mission a week for 25 mission per campaign. I had up to 20 plus players at any one time. I organized the mission info per historical data and posted the criteria for each squadron to use.

Each player would fly their mission and post a detailed After Action Report. Though this is a solo game everyone loves the Bomber Group atmosphere of this set up. We did use the die rolling feature for determining Bomber upgrades. This worked well.

I also hosted a campaign for The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 solo game too. This was also a big hit too. Though this one was run as a Geeklist it was basically the same setup.

Both PBF games were not my original idea but everyone seems to enjoy this format.

Good luck!
Jim P mb / mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found a geeklist with many games:

Play By Forum Games on BGG

I have personally played The Resistance on a PBF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648 in a PbF Here
as well as participating in several PbF's of Pax Porfiriana
it all depends on the game if you need to own it.
I own Pax and have played Revolution quite a few times but it depends really on the game something like the Resistance or Diplomacy works well if everyone knows what to do without a physical copy but others are harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
magicman6173 wrote:
Thanks for the info Liam! I am assuming it is not necessary to own the game then? Provided you have access to the rules and know how to play right?

Depends on what you're playing. In the case of Battlestar Galactica, Arkham Horror and Game of Thrones (and any other FFG games that are being played on the forums here), it's an official requirement by the publisher that only people who own a copy play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Regardless of what a particular publisher wants, I'd consider it ethical to only play a game that you actually have regular access to. If it's not a game I own, than it would need to be either something one of my roommates owns, or something my father (who lives just a couple minutes away) owns. Because the point of PBF isn't to subvert the need to buy games to play them, plus I want the board gaming industry supported so I want to fairly pay for the games I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.