Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Forster
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some places that are board-game friendly to play during lunch? I would feel a little strange about playing a big game in a restaurant, but maybe there is a restaurant that is friendly toward that. Maybe some other location ideas that would work? We have a group of people that want to play, but just aren't sure where to go.

And the break room is not an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my buddy sometimes meet up to play card games during lunch. I've found that it works best in restaurants where:

1) you order at the counter so the people working there aren't really even paying attention to who is doing what at the tables, plus you're not taking up a server's attention and table space; and

2) isn't busy enough to have people waiting for tables to open up. You'll look like a jerk if there's a line out the door to get a seat and you're taking your sweet time with a board game.

Coffee shops also work well, assuming they have big enough tables. A library could also work. A lot of libraries have study rooms or similar nooks and crannies where you could talk to your gaming partner without disturbing anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I think many restaurants would allow you to play during lunch, provided that everyone at the table orders something. After all, they want your business. They might get cranky if 4 people occupy a table for an hour playing a game and the entire lunch order is only 1 cheeseburger and 4 Cokes.

My office building has a picnic bench outside where people occasionally eat. That would be a decent place to play assuming it wasn't raining and it wasn't very windy.

If there is a Barnes & Noble or other large bookstore in your area, you could always play games in their cafe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Like Aaron said, if you are lucky enough to be close enough to a library then I think that's a good bet. You don't have to feel like you have to buy anything either. Most public libraries don't care if you are talking if it's not loud (aka bothering others.) Or they might have an open study/conference room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barnes & Noble or other bookstores that have a cafe. It'd be quiet enough to hear people talk and you can order food/drinks.

My friends and I used to go to Burger King and eat, and then play Yugioh. I don't know if the staff cared or not, but they never said anything about it.

As others have mentioned, a library or community center is a good bet, assuming they have rooms you can use. You might have to reserve space though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.